Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Taurus 85 back from factory second time still not working VIDEO

UPDATE #2: Back from factory for the 2nd time, 6 months after sending in for the first repair and it still isn't working. They couldn't replicate the problem. Funny because now I've decided to document video proof that the malfunction is indeed happening. Horrible customer service and worthless gunsmiths over at Taurus.

UPDATE - Still disappointed after it was return from repair not fixed. Read post #42. Update #2 at post 70.

I owned a Taurus 1911 at one point and liked the features, fit and finish and trigger pull for the money. But I could never get it to run 100%. Spent too much time messing with recoil spring weights and different slide stops. I chalked it up to 1911s being finicky and sold it for a Glock 21 which of course has been 100%.

With somewhat of a need for a snubby, the current $40 rebate for the Taurus 85 got my interest. The full steel model would be able to tame some recoil which I'd struggled with shooting other snubbies and the price was right. I went to check it out and said I'd only buy if it blew me away (as much as a $200 gun could). Well it did! The fit and finish was great, tight lockup, great SA and DA trigger pull. And for $209-$40, how could I go wrong?

Before going to the range I did some dry fire practice and saw the cylinder sputter on a DA pull. The trigger pulled but the cylinder didn't rotate. Did I short stroke it? User error? Of course for a DA revolver you need to let the trigger all the way out each pull, not like an auto shooting from reset. I head to the range...

It shot great for 6 cylinders or so and then the problem started happening. The trigger was pulled but the cylinder didn't rotate which produced a click rather than a bang. Sure if you pull again you'll get a second chance and the cylinder will probably rotate. Like I said - I was pulling and releasing fully, so between the frequency of malfunction and my awareness of how to shoot a DA revolver - I don't think it was my fault (never happened to me when shooting Ruger revolvers..)

So at my estimation 6-8% of the time this happens in DA. Should I care? My intended use for this is to throw in a jacket pocket in the winter months to have a concealed hand on a gun and shoot through a pocket at contact distances. This would always be my BUG and never my primary. Obviously Taurus has the lifetime warranty but I've heard they make you pay for shipping, and can have your gun for 4-6 weeks. Pretty annoying for a brand new gun. Maybe I should have wised up and expected this from Taurus... but like I said I really WANT to like them...

Before just living with it or calling customer service on Monday to see my options... does anyone have any troubleshooting tips for a revolver cylinder not rotating upon DA trigger pull?
    Last edited by jthrelf; March 1st, 2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Update after being returned from factory second time VIDEO

(Berks County)

Default Re: I really want to like Taurus...

Paw not engaging star. Burr? Spring? Bad star? Is it always same spot? Open her up and look. If its like a smith, tap the frame grip area, with wood handle and grips removed. Don't pry. It pops up when you tap on frame.

(Bucks County)

I have been seriously tempted to buy one of these lately considering the price, myself. But in the back of my mind I always thought "It is a Taurus, though". But I would also talk myself out of that thought because it's a wheel gun. Well, earlier today Target World posted the LC9S for ~$100 more than the Model 85 and the Ruger has positive reviews all over the place. After all, my intended use is much the same in a deep concealment/pocket/ankle/center console carry piece. Hell, if I like it enough I might have to rotate it in more. I'm glad I read this, though, because it has dramatically changed my thinking.

(Northampton County)

Well, I guess the usual meaningful difference between Taurus and Ruger/Smith revolvers is the tolerances are not as tight. That could play into the action not resetting when it should, but I think it's more likely to be user error, especially if you're used to 1911 and striker fire which will always have less force x distance.

(Bucks County)

The reality of Taurus is that you get what you pay for.
    They make a borderline to down right shitty product.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Lancaster County)

I have a Taurus .22 revolver that I thought would be a great "kit-gun" went back to the factory once for a similar problem - it shoots now, but key-holes and inaccurate as hell. I'm done with the bull.

Cb
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Berks County)

The Taurus is based off the smith and Wesson. Short stroking will revolve the cylinder but fail to cock the hammer. It is not your technique. The gun is malfunctioning.

(Bucks County)

One question...

So is this a gun that you would want to trust your life to and possibly the lives of your family?

My answer to that question would be a resounding NO.

There are lots of snubbies out there that are more reliable, although more expensive. I would save my money and trade that Taurus and some cash for one of those.

I have three Taurus revolvers, all are rimfires, but my experience with them has been that they were designed to be carried a lot and shot a little and they won't hold up to the frequent practice that's required to maintain self defense skills. I still hunt with mine but I wouldn't consider a Taurus for self defense due to my experience with them. YMMV.

I don't.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(York County)

Not saying that your problems aren't real. However my experiences have differed. I currently own a number of the Taurus family of revolvers. All three have been reliable, accurate and never given me a single problem. Two were bought new (both about 10-15 years ago), the third was bought second hand about eight years ago.

It would be interesting to know if Taurus has had years where they've had QC issues, and years where they got their sh** up to snuff. Like I said, I've had mine for years and put a LOT of ammo down range with them without a single glitch.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast