Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default Re: Anyone have an OC encounter with armed guards?

Are armed guards from New Jersey required to also posses an ACT-235 to work in Pennsylvania?
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Are armed guards from New Jersey required to also posses an ACT-235 to work in Pennsylvania?
    That would be a good question for GunLawyer. I think and don't quote me on this but with PA and Jersey there is some overlap especially when it comes to operating an armored truck.

(Delaware County)

They only need one card, from their respective State. Below is a post I made in 2010.

Armored Car drivers. With a valid State card, they can carry over State lines. This was not always true and drove the Industry crazy. Can you imagine the logistic nightmare of getting multiple State cards for your employees and trying to match them up to what states their routes took them. Congress passed the "Armored Car Industry Reciprocity Act of 1993" forcing States like NJ and MD to accept out of state cards. The Act passed by voice vote in both the House and Senate. Too bad this same sense of urgency and speed is not applied to those of us with their respective states LTCF,permits,CCW's etc.
    You can google the Act by name and read the full text and various amendments that have been added over the years. "
    Tim

(Tioga County)

The Last time I saw an armed guard in an armored car I was coming out of my local gun store with my 1911 on my hip. They were getting their goods out to make a delivery to the bank across the street. They were in my strong side. I'm sure they saw I was armed. I waved and they waved back. We all went about our business.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Northampton County)

I've been out during the day a lot over the past 10 years and probably had more see my gun than I know of, depending on the combo of gun and clothing. When I first started OC 10 years ago I avoided them due to warnings on this forum but probably not for the past 9 years or so. I remember about 3 times they noticed my sidearm while we were passing each other on foot. One time the dude was standing in the corner for some reason and I gave him a head nod and he gave me one back after he saw my sidearm. That's about it.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by spandexlurch View Post
    According to my ACT-235 Training I can only arrest someone if I see them commit a felony. IE: I witness someone committing a murder, and I chose to and or am able to, I could arrest that person and turn them over to the police. If I see someone steal a candy bar from a store, there is nothing I can do. An Armed guard/officer's arrest powers in PA do not exceed that of the average citizen. As far as I know there is no actual citizens arrest in PA that is codified. I know that with my ACT-235 certification I could become a bounty hunter, constable, security officer, or any job that requires being armed while working except a police officer. To become a LEO in PA you must have at the bare minimum ACT-120 and be hired by a police municipality.

As far as LEOSA, I don't believe armed security qualifies, being that we are still private citizens and we don't work for a police unit. Also as far as I know LEOSA would only apply to those that are active/retired police that choose to do security work as a second job.
    Look at the retail theft act. you CAN detain someone for retail theft.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...eXRCx0oyEcgYMg
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Lancaster County)

When I was 3 an guard let me pick up a bag of money. I don't remember if I was OC or CC.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Either the armed guard didn't see me or he didn't care. Anyone have any OC encounters with guards? They seem to wired very tightly, and from NJ, I wonder how they respond.
    They were from Jersey, they aren't trained to look for guns, only unicorns!

The corner gas station / coffee place near where I worked for 15 years was right off I-83, just north of the Amazon Dixon line, with a bank near by. There were armed security, state police, and federal police getting coffee with me on a regular basis while I OC'ed. The PSP were always pleasant and professional, the security weren't a problem either. The only trouble I ever had, and it was minor, was a federal police (homeland security?) fat boy, straight out of MD or DC, most likely headed to the federal courthouse in Harrisburg. I politely reiterated PA law, he got crappy, and I essentially told him, "STFU and go back to Maryland".

I completely blew the one opportunity I ever had to yell "constitution MF'er"!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    They were from Jersey, they aren't trained to look for guns, only unicorns!

The corner gas station / coffee place near where I worked for 15 years was right off I-83, just north of the Amazon Dixon line, with a bank near by. There were armed security, state police, and federal police getting coffee with me on a regular basis while I OC'ed. The PSP were always pleasant and professional, the security weren't a problem either. The only trouble I ever had, and it was minor, was a federal police (homeland security?) fat boy, straight out of MD or DC, most likely headed to the federal courthouse in Harrisburg. I politely reiterated PA law, he got crappy, and I essentially told him, "STFU and go back to Maryland".

I completely blew the one opportunity I ever had to yell "constitution MF'er"!
    Fuck Bezos, he's buying everything.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

All the time,Just not noteworthy to mention it ! I will say they do eye contact and do not engage in any gun talk which in my opinion is very professional.Dunbar,Garda,Loomis ! They must be giving good training !

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast