Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Anyone have an OC encounter with armed guards?

Today on my WAWA trip for coffe and lunch, see a Loomis armed guard van parked out front. I see the plate are NJ. I'm OCing my CZ 75 in a tan leather holster. I think to myself this could be...interesting. Inside is the guard (wearing body armor and a glock)

Either the armed guard didn't see me or he didn't care. Anyone have any OC encounters with guards? They seem to wired very tightly, and from NJ, I wonder how they respond.
    Last edited by American1776; September 14th, 2017 at 06:18 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Anyone have an OC encounter with armed guards?

I always ask the one working on the ATM if he has any free samples.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Today on my WAWA trip for coffe and lunch, see a Loomis armed guard van parked out front. I see the plate are NJ. I'm OCing my CZ 75 in a tan leather holster. I think to myself this could be...interesting. Inside is the guard (wearing body armor and a glock)

Either the armed guard didn't see me or he didn't care. Anyone have any OC encounters with guards? They seem to wired very tightly, and from NJ, I wonder how they respond.
    I had two different encounters, one negative and the other neutral/positive.

The negative one happened at the Wal-Mart in Trexlertown, where an armored car pulled up just as I was walking in to the store. I'm not paying attention to them at this point, other than hearing the passenger door open and shut as the guard got out. I proceed straight to the produce section and start picking out corn, sweet potatoes, whatever. Suddenly I hear someone stomping my way very quickly, and I spin around just in time to have the irate guard yell at me for daring to be within a five mile radius of him while he's doing his job. I try to be polite and give him the whole "open carry is legal here" statement, but he's not having any of it and continues to get more and more aggressive, to the point that the driver of the armored car got out of the vehicle and walked around so he could get a better view of what his partner was up to. Finally I just told him something to the effect of, "Look, all I want to do is get my groceries and leave. What I'm doing's legal in this state, Wal-Mart allows it on its property, and that's the end of it. Don't believe me, ask the manager or call the cops." He says, "Yeah, we'll see!" and stomps off to presumably do his actual job. I tried writing the company about it, but never heard back.

The neutral/positive encounter occurred at the bank I frequent. I usually go through the drive-through, but this day I decided to walk in. I parked, checked to make sure I had everything, and got out just as an armored van pulled up and the guards hopped out. I remembered the Wal-Mart encounter and thought about getting back into my vehicle, but figured that'd look way too suspicious. Instead, I smiled, said "Good morning, gentlemen!" and proceeded to the door ahead of them since they were gathering their bags and such. They greeted me, I went in, and as they passed me when I was at the counter there's no way they didn't see the sidearm. Not a peep out of either about it. They did their business, I did mine, and we parted ways.

Just depends on the individuals, I guess. Sort of like encounters with anybody. Still haven't had a bad encounter with a police officer, just neutral encounters. The worst offenders so far have been private citizens who either don't know the law, or have abdicated their responsibility and get pissy when they see other people carrying out said responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    I had two different encounters, one negative and the other neutral/positive.

The negative one happened at the Wal-Mart in Trexlertown, where an armored car pulled up just as I was walking in to the store. I'm not paying attention to them at this point, other than hearing the passenger door open and shut as the guard got out. I proceed straight to the produce section and start picking out corn, sweet potatoes, whatever. Suddenly I hear someone stomping my way very quickly, and I spin around just in time to have the irate guard yell at me for daring to be within a five mile radius of him while he's doing his job. I try to be polite and give him the whole "open carry is legal here" statement, but he's not having any of it and continues to get more and more aggressive, to the point that the driver of the armored car got out of the vehicle and walked around so he could get a better view of what his partner was up to. Finally I just told him something to the effect of, "Look, all I want to do is get my groceries and leave. What I'm doing's legal in this state, Wal-Mart allows it on its property, and that's the end of it. Don't believe me, ask the manager or call the cops." He says, "Yeah, we'll see!" and stomps off to presumably do his actual job. I tried writing the company about it, but never heard back.

I always wondered what the legalities are if a guard started being very aggressive, and potentially threatening. Can you shoot in self defense?
    ...clarification....
    He starts to draw on you just because your open carrying.
    Last edited by SIGFAN86; September 14th, 2017 at 08:14 PM.

(Dauphin County)

Lexington: I work as an armed officer. I can tell you that in the state of Pennsylvania, and armed guard or officer only can arrest someone that is committing a felony that they personally witness. The armed guard you mention probably had a stick up his rear and didn't understand that he can't do anything about you carrying.
    Last edited by spandexlurch; September 14th, 2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Mixed up posts

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    I always ask the one working on the ATM if he has any free samples.
    I always ask the armored car drivers if they have any extra and I ask the po leece if they have any 'get out of jail free' cards. Those guys have no sense of humor I tell ya.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by spandexlurch View Post
    Lexington: I work as an armed officer. I can tell you that in the state of Pennsylvania, and armed guard or officer only can arrest someone that is committing a felony that they personally witness. The armed guard you mention probably had a stick up his rear and didn't understand that he can't do anything about you carrying.
    interesting. so if they have arrest powers, does that mean they are covered under LEOSA?

(Lancaster County)

I've been at store many times when they've come in, pulled up the same time and location as me and never a word said

(Lancaster County)

interesting. so if they have arrest powers, does that mean they are covered under LEOSA?
    Citizens arrest?

(Dauphin County)

According to my ACT-235 Training I can only arrest someone if I see them commit a felony. IE: I witness someone committing a murder, and I chose to and or am able to, I could arrest that person and turn them over to the police. If I see someone steal a candy bar from a store, there is nothing I can do. An Armed guard/officer's arrest powers in PA do not exceed that of the average citizen. As far as I know there is no actual citizens arrest in PA that is codified. I know that with my ACT-235 certification I could become a bounty hunter, constable, security officer, or any job that requires being armed while working except a police officer. To become a LEO in PA you must have at the bare minimum ACT-120 and be hired by a police municipality.

As far as LEOSA, I don't believe armed security qualifies, being that we are still private citizens and we don't work for a police unit. Also as far as I know LEOSA would only apply to those that are active/retired police that choose to do security work as a second job.
    Last edited by spandexlurch; September 14th, 2017 at 09:41 PM. Reason: correction

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast