Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Schuylkill County)

Default Long distance rifle trade - need help resolving issue

I decided to trade rifles with a guy from another state (not on this forum that I know of). My rifle (DSA SA58 - basically a FAL) was not something I was familiar with, and I only put a few rounds through it. It was just an impulse buy and part of a package deal. I never field stripped it or cleaned it or anything like that. I don't know anything about it. I tried to field strip before selling and accidentally broke the take down lever. Buyer was aware of this and price was adjusted accordingly. I sent him the rifle as it sat.

He received the rifle and took it apart. He said the barrel is shot out of it. I'm going to have him send pics, but he has tons of positive feedback and seems like a decent guy. The finish on the rifle was very worn, so I do believe it's seen a lot of use. I believe him.

How do I fix this situation? The one obvious solution is to swap rifles back, but then we're out all the shipping costs and transfer fees. Would I be expected to refund him for all his costs?

He's not comfortable tackling a re-barrel job on his own. He could get a quote from a gunsmith for a new barrel. If we go this route, I wouldn't think it would be fair for me to cover 100% of the cost for a brand new barrel. I was thinking I would cover the difference between a re-barrel job and the market value of a used but good barrel (which should have been on the rifle he received).

What are your thoughts?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Long distance rifle trade - need help resolving issue

What we think doesn't matter ... it's what he thinks and what you think.

He traded for a used rifle, he got a used rifle. Offer to undo the deal, but don't pay to make the used rifle better than what he bought.

Buying a used gun through the Web is a crap shoot. If something's critical, get better photos up front, or travel and fondle the thing in person. All used guns are discounted in these situations because of the surprises; that's why I wouldn't buy a used electronic device at a flea market without being able to test it, unless i was paying 5% of retail for it.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Elk County)

In 40 years of trades, I had one that went south in a similar manner. Personally, I don't think the other party asked his Mommy for permission first, and then cooked up a bunch of reasons why the firearm I sent wasn't suitable. Not just one reason, multiple reasons, most of which are all under the heading "Shoulda known that ahead of time, seeing that you've posted multiple times in at least one forum in an knowledgeable manner about that type of firearm."

In that case, I did the only reasonable thing -- as you suggest above:

The one obvious solution is to swap rifles back, but then we're out all the shipping costs and transfer fees. Would I be expected to refund him for all his costs?
    I offered to do a direct return swap, and we each pay the freight back. He was OK with that, and he ate the freight to send back the firearm I sent him, and I picked up the cost to ship his back to his dealer. We were each out a background check to re-acquire our firearms, and he was out the check to acquire mine in the first place. I offered to pay that one, and he said, "Not necessary."

But it is up to you both to agree on what to do. My experience is but one example on how it could go.

Once you have it back, find a gunsmith or a friend who is familiar with the FAL rifle and have him check it out. I would do it for you but I am 4 hrs away.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by lagco View Post
    What we think doesn't matter ... it's what he thinks and what you think.
    I understand that. This is the first time I've had an issue like this. I haven't yet decided what I think is reasonable, hence this post. Seeing what other people think and have experienced will help me form my opinion. There also might be another solution I haven't thought of.

Thanks for the input so far.

(Chester County)

How do you know the barrel is "shot-out"? Because he said so? Or because he can't shoot straight?

I have found these to be accurate rifles. I'd imagine you'd have to put 3-5,000+ rounds of real dirty ammo down the barrel and leave it uncleaned for a few years before it became "shot-out"...

What were HIS muzzle erosion and throat erosion measurements?

If he wants a new barrel, he can purchase one here: https://www.dsarms.com/c-819-barrels-and-related.aspx.

Or send it back to DSA and they'll put on a barrel for him. The prices for assorted services are here: https://www.dsarms.com/t-gunsmithing.aspx

As others have said previously, a used gun is a used gun. If he wants a new gun, he should buy a new gun. Unless you made warranties about the condition of the barrel, or mislead him, it's his responsibility now. It may actually be a blessing for if he wants a shorter barrel he can purchase one and have it installed. Also a match-grade trigger, different finish, etc.
    Last edited by bamboomaster; September 13th, 2017 at 05:54 PM.
    - bamboomaster

(Lackawanna County)

Did he shoot it. Sorry done deal.

(Delaware County)

If you misrepresented the rifle you sent him and want to make amends then by all means help with the cost of a rebarrel job. If you were honest with your description then it is up to you with how to proceed.

You can explain that you guys were trading used rifle for used rifle and you do not want to undo the trade. You can offer to undo the trade and each person eats his own cost. I think those would be fair offers.

There are a few variables involved that we do not know but in the end you each took a risk in the trade and buyer (or trader) beware always applies.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Allegheny County)

Either reverse the transaction, or offer him "some" cash (like $100) towards a replacement barrel if you really want to keep the rifle you got.
    Toujours prêt

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Holeshot121 View Post
    The one obvious solution is to swap rifles back, but then we're out all the shipping costs and transfer fees.
    This is what I would do. Chalk the expense up to furthering your "education".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast