I decided to trade rifles with a guy from another state (not on this forum that I know of). My rifle (DSA SA58 - basically a FAL) was not something I was familiar with, and I only put a few rounds through it. It was just an impulse buy and part of a package deal. I never field stripped it or cleaned it or anything like that. I don't know anything about it. I tried to field strip before selling and accidentally broke the take down lever. Buyer was aware of this and price was adjusted accordingly. I sent him the rifle as it sat.

He received the rifle and took it apart. He said the barrel is shot out of it. I'm going to have him send pics, but he has tons of positive feedback and seems like a decent guy. The finish on the rifle was very worn, so I do believe it's seen a lot of use. I believe him.

How do I fix this situation? The one obvious solution is to swap rifles back, but then we're out all the shipping costs and transfer fees. Would I be expected to refund him for all his costs?

He's not comfortable tackling a re-barrel job on his own. He could get a quote from a gunsmith for a new barrel. If we go this route, I wouldn't think it would be fair for me to cover 100% of the cost for a brand new barrel. I was thinking I would cover the difference between a re-barrel job and the market value of a used but good barrel (which should have been on the rifle he received).

What are your thoughts?