Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default log splitter info needed

I'm looking into a log splitter. Tired of swinging a maul. How many tons are needed? 20 seems to be the minimum. Is that strong enough? Are any brands better than others? Any I should stay away from? The only one I ever used was home made, It worked fine but I don't know how strong it was. I'm trying to get all the info I can before I shell out a pile of cash. Anybody got a used one for sale? Butler Co. thanks for any advice you can give me.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: log splitter info needed

I use a little 4ton electric splitter and you'd be suprised at what it will split. I wouldn't want it for 10 cords a year but for normal use its great and cheap, about $250. Got mine at harbor freight (be sure to get the protection plan)
    Check out this you tube video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lVtwFGuGqc
    "But, when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security." Dec of Ind.

(Monroe County)

These are the only type I have had experience with. I used to split firewood with my father and we used on like this, I would generally Cut haul and split a loose cord a day. More than I ever want to do again lol.

I would say its going to depend a great deal on what kind of wood you plan on splitting. If its all smooth grain wood seasoned wood, than I would say the one DirtyBug recommended would probably be adequate for light use. But if you get into any type of knots in wood such as Oak or something like that, it might have a problem. Again I am not really familiar with the smaller elect ones. I would say, if you plan on doing a lot of splitting, and have more to spend, get a 20-25 ton, it will make it much quicker and less back breaking. Just my humble opinion hope that helps.

(Washington County)

i have a brave ez split. with a 3.5hp engine, i can split anything (oak, maple, cherry, locust) up to 20" diameter easily. i used to split about 6 cords a year to use in my wood stoves. it was cheap and worked out great as long as you don't need to split logs longer than 18". last winter i went to a wood/coal whole house boiler (indoor) that takes bigger logs. i'm glad i didn't go overboard on the splitter since i changed heating technologies.

(Westmoreland County)

I do some work for Woodward Crossings. They sell Wallenstein woodsplitters. Feel free to give the a call. They'll be happy to answer your questions.

/pm inbound
    Last edited by D-FENS; September 17th, 2008 at 06:11 PM.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

I don't know how much help I can be, but my log splitter came from Tractor Supply. It connects to the hydraulics on my tractor (such as they are) and mounts on the 3 pt hitch. The tractor is a 1963 Fordson Super Dexta. It ain't real fast, but it doesn't seem to be much slower than the gasoline engine powered ones, and it only set me back $550.00.

(Delaware County)

I bought a 35 ton from tractor supply this year. I used to pay 200 a cord for firewood. I never had tiem to split my own firewood, this year I cant afford to buy it so I have been splitting my own. Tractor supply has the best prices on new splitters.

(Northampton County)

I've been a woodburner for 25+ years. I burn 4-5 cords a season. Used to "maul" every cord up until about 4 years ago. Bought a Huskee 27 ton at Tractor Supply and it works fine for me.
    Log Splitter....................$1299.99
    Couple o' new saw chains...$40.00
    Relief from the "Monster Maul"... priceless (I ain't 25 yrs. old anymore =) )

You do know that you get TWICE the heat out of wood, right?
    It warms you when you cut it and it warms you when you burn it. =)

Plinker
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

(Lehigh County)

I too burn 4 or 5 chords a year. I have a 20 ton MTD that I bought new in 1996 and it works for me. I've only run into a few big stumps that I couldn't split without sawing lengthwise first. It's small enough to move a short distance by hand. My brother has a 35 ton and I would not trade him. That thing is not going to be moved by one person unless it's on pavement and 95% of the time it's overkill. Mine has a 5 HP Briggs and Straton. Spend a few hundred more and get a Honda. My Briggs has eaten a valve and it can be a bitch to start. The carb needs to be adjusted every time the temperature changes.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Venango County)

Can't go wrong with a Brave....real good solid piece, spend the extra for the honda, IMO it's worth it

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast