Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Carrying while riding a motorcycle

I'm curious about what you all think about carrying while riding motorcycles. Now, I'm ACT-235 certified and have my LCTF. I brought this up to my wife over the weekend and she didn't think the idea of me OCing while riding was a good idea and it could be perceived as "advertising". I typically CC when I'm not in uniform but when at work I'm required to OC. Do any of you OC while riding? If you do have you had any problems?
    Last edited by spandexlurch; September 11th, 2017 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Carrying while riding a motorcycle

Never had a problem.

(Allegheny County)

Never had a need.

Oc/cc no issue. I'd be more concerned with the idiots around you while riding.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    Oc/cc no issue. I'd be more concerned with the idiots around you while riding.
    I'm always concerned with them. I've been on and off riding for the last 10 years. Just getting back into it.

(Allegheny County)

I find it amusing sometimes when guys O/C while riding.
    A few weeks ago, I saw a young thin guy on a Harley, long hair in a pony tail, clean shaven, Do-rag, and a black T-shirt that said "F*ck You" across the back. Now To me that is a pretty a normal looking rider (except for maybe the "F*ck You" t-shirt).
    What really caught my attention was that he was also open carrying. To me he was clearly advertising that (in his mind) he's a bad MFer and you'd better not mess with me or you'll get shot.
    Toujours prêt

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I find it amusing sometimes when guys O/C while riding.
    A few weeks ago, I saw a young thin guy on a Harley, long hair in a pony tail, clean shaven, Do-rag, and a black T-shirt that said "F*ck You" across the back. Now To me that is a pretty a normal looking rider (except for maybe the "F*ck You" t-shirt).
    What really caught my attention was that he was also open carrying. To me he was clearly advertising that (in his mind) he's a bad MFer and you'd better not mess with me or you'll get shot.
    Is it just riders that are advertising their badassness by open carrying to you or all open carriers though. Could be the shirt/bike/do rag combined with a firearm more than the bike. I don't ride anymore, haven't in years, but if I did I would probably OC on occasion just like I do now.

Full disclosure, I do carry this wallet when I OC.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Is it just riders that are advertising their badassness by open carrying to you or all open carriers though. Could be the shirt/bike/do rag combined with a firearm more than the bike. I don't ride anymore, haven't in years, but if I did I would probably OC on occasion just like I do now.

Full disclosure, I do carry this wallet when I OC.
    I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought if it wasn't for the FU t-shirt plus the O/C. If I would have seen him as a pedestrian, it still would have stood out.
    Toujours prêt

(Lehigh County)

First; it's not technically (ie. legally) Open Carrying while riding.
    You are on a vehicle; so it is considered TRANSPORTING.
    (Or maybe it's that transportation laws take precedence over carrying laws.)
    So I refer to it as Visibly Carrying.
    And I do it all the time when riding any of my motorcycles in PA.
    I want my handgun readily available if needed; and I want it with me if I crash. As opposed to being on the motorcycle where it can get stolen when the motorcycle is towed away.
    I live on the eastern side PA. So haven't made it across PA to Ohio or West Virginia. And visibly carry in either of those states; yet.

I've had no issues when visibly carrying on a motorcycle.
    I've had a few LEOs turn around and follow me. But never stopped because of it.
    I've had other people (drivers and their passengers) look, point, or take photos.
    I've had one liberal yell out his window that I'm an "ASSHOLE".
    But most people don't even notice.
    I've also taken a couple rides down through Philly while visibly carrying; and never got stopped.
    Although admittedly I rode along 611, Broad Street, and I-76 both times.

The closest to an "issue" while visibly carrying while riding.
    Was while riding through The Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area along rt. 209.
    I was heading south, behind a slow moving, out of state vehicle.
    It was a NJ driver doing less than 20mph. After a couple miles; I got fed up and passed him.
    Upon exiting the Area; a Park Ranger was stopped on the north bound shoulder.
    As soon as I went past him, he immediately turned around and followed me for a 1/4 mile and then turned off.
    Coincidence ? Did that slow moving NJ driver call 911 about "man-with-a-gun" ? Don't know.
    But since national parks follow state law.
    And national monuments, area, historic sites, etc ... (Not certain about national forests.) are administered by the NPS; they too follow state law.
    So I was not breaking any gun laws.

And BTW; my riding gear is a one-piece, hi-viz yellow Aerostich Roadcrafter, with hi-viz yellow helmet, and a class II safety vest.
    My street motorcycles are a Moto Guzzi Griso and a Honda NT700. Neither fit the "bad-ass" image.
    And until this past weekend, I carried on my hip. I've since gotten a leg holster.
    --ET

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought if it wasn't for the FU t-shirt plus the O/C. If I would have seen him as a pedestrian, it still would have stood out.
    That would have been my biggest issue also. A shirt like that draws unwanted attention imho, gun or not. Definitely not painting a positive image.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast