Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Build it or Buy it

Dear fellow PAFOA people...

I had a very nicely worded post but got logged out before I could post.

Summarized, I could spend close to $1,800 building a mauser into a M40 clone or spend about $1,200 on something like a Remington 700 or Savage 10 and have what I'm looking for.

Would you spend hundreds of dollars and a bunch of time building a rifle just because nobody has one or just go buy the same rifle that everyone else has?

I already own a JC Higgins Model 50 which is what I would use for the build. The end result would never be worth the money put into it and I would be tearing apart a much sought after rifle to build what I want.

My wife is tired of hearing me talk about this so I figured I'd think out loud on here.

Thanks

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Build it or Buy it

Talk it up with anyone who will listen. Meanwhile you'll pick up ideas, possibly some parts no longer needed, et cetera.

It all depends on your goal and only you will know what you want to accomplish.

That being said, I wouldn't dump a bunch of money on an old gun as I'd want every advantage I could get in a modern design/action. If it was my money, I'd start off with a Tikka rifle and replace the barrel once I wore it out. You aren't going to find a better action in a factory rifle. This is coming from a big Savage fan (due to being able to do work myself).

(Westmoreland County)

Do you want a show piece or do you want an accurate rifle ? Personally I don't care what others have or shoot as long as what I have does what I ask of it accuracy wise that is . If you want an accurate rifle there are plenty of decent rifles to start with or buy as is , a Mauser action would be low on my list but can be done if you throw enough money at it .

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by spartakis252 View Post
    Dear fellow PAFOA people...

I had a very nicely worded post but got logged out before I could post.

Summarized, I could spend close to $1,800 building a mauser into a M40 clone or spend about $1,200 on something like a Remington 700 or Savage 10 and have what I'm looking for.

Would you spend hundreds of dollars and a bunch of time building a rifle just because nobody has one or just go buy the same rifle that everyone else has?

I already own a JC Higgins Model 50 which is what I would use for the build. The end result would never be worth the money put into it and I would be tearing apart a much sought after rifle to build what I want.

My wife is tired of hearing me talk about this so I figured I'd think out loud on here.

Thanks
    I know why the wife is tired of hearing about it. Taken as a whole, you contradict yourself a lot. Go buy a new gun, you'll feel better. Two is even better.