Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: .308 Win./ 6.5 Creedmoor???

I doubt most people can ever shoot out a bolt .308. As a rule of thumb Garands in 30-06 get about 10,000-15,000 rounds in military use (~+1 increase in TE per thousand rounds). I bought a used .308 20 years ago and have more rounds thru it than I can count. The freebore is getting long (so I seat the bullets longer) But it still shoots 1-1.5 inches at 100 yards. Good enough for what I need it for. I have talked to some bench rest shooters and they would tell me they would rebarrel when their rifle shoots over 1/4 inch. I told one I would buy his barrel and put it on my rifle. He thought I was joking.......I wasn't!

So what someone considers shot out varies. But what doesn't change is overbored cartridges erode the barrel much faster. Since a 6.5 creedmore is basically a necked down 6.5 mm / 308. It is going to wear a barrel faster.

(Wayne County)

Some good info here, I doubt I'll ever wear out my Browning 6.5 Creedmoor as all I use it for is hunting and put less than 50 rounds a year through it. But it is good to know at what point I might expect to see some barrel wear.
    Also in the one post the guy said he shoots 20 shot strings and the barrel gets hot, this would wear your barrel out a lot quicker than shooting and letting your barrel cool between shots would it not?

(Chester County)

6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, .260 Remington, 6.5 CR, 6.5 Grendel. All very, very good rounds for most game in N.A. Just depends on what type of rifle/action you want to shoot.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Tuff View Post
    Also in the one post the guy said he shoots 20 shot strings and the barrel gets hot, this would wear your barrel out a lot quicker than shooting and letting your barrel cool between shots would it not?
    Theoretically the hotter the barrel gets, the quicker the erosion. But in reality most people don't really know what a hot barrel is. We are talking barrels that will burn you at the slightest touch or instantly sizzle a drop of water. I have a Garand with underside of the wooden hanguards charred. If that happened during wartime it would be sobering. But it still has a TE under 4 and shoots just fine.

Shooting 20 rounds in 20 min might give you better barrel life. But it wouldn't be that fun...............So, Have fun and don't worry about it.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by SIGFAN86 View Post
    It's been shown that 308 barrels will last between 4-8k rounds before starting to degrade its accuracy.
    6.5 creedmoor with its higher pressures and velocities will start to degrade the throat of the barrel in the 2-3k rounds vicinity
    I'm not sure if the explanation of "higher pressures and higher velocities" is the answer. The SAAMI max pressure for the creedmore is 62,000 PSI. For the .308 it's the same 62,000 PSI. As for velocities both rounds can be loaded to maximum of around 2,900fps for a 150gr. 30 cal and a 140gr 6.5mm.

The only logical explanation that I can think of is the 6.5 has a much longer bullet to get up to the 140gr. weight. More "metal to metal" contact would seem to cause more wear.

Edit: Or perhaps it's a "longer" powder burn to push the skinny (skinny compared to a .30 cal bullet) 6.5 bullet down the tube? Thus a little more burn time (heat) at the throat? I just can't accept the notion that it's "pressure" alone that would cause a shorter barrel life in the 6.5.
    Last edited by Steeltrap; September 13th, 2017 at 09:56 AM.

(Chester County)

I went with the 6.5cm a few months ago. big box stores are starting to carry the round and many times there the 6.5 version is same price or less than the .308 (cabelas American whitetail both calibers $23 American gunner $57 in 6.5cm and $60 in .308 ). there was also an article I read about how for the 3 rounds (.30-06, .308 win, and 6.5cm) .30-06 is better under 500yds with 6.5 coming in close second and 6.5cm is better past 500yds with .30-06 coming in a close 2nd. This was based on results of power, speed, and bullet drop using same brand and type rounds in caliber.

(Bucks County)

The answer is steam. Expanding steam is 1700 times more powerful than something (can't remember what that is).

Envision a cartridge charged with appropriate propellant AND the tail of the projectile containing a capsule of water. Propellant is set off, brass begins to expand while capsule is melted, freeing the water to generate steam, right at the area that would normally be throat-torched. Projectile muzzle velocity far in excess of normal, a truly long range bullet.

Secondary benefit would be a steam-cleaned bore at each firing, hopefully eliminating copper fouling as well.

(Chester County)

I think the other question is what is the intended use by the OP.

2k-3k rounds may take them 10-20 years to reach or may be within 1 year depending on planned use. At which point a $200-300 barrel may not be a big deal for the improved accuracy with reduced recoil. Mine is a savage 10 and a new 6.5 barrel is as low as $160 on the low end and $500 on the high. plus with the savage its easy swap if I want to use .308 when it does need a new barrel.

Ammo price wise looks like even wally world is starting to carry 6.5cm in guns and ammo. with a box of 125gr Winchester under $19 and 140gr Fusion under $26, so if its not intended on being a match gun and is just for game or hobby long range ammo is there without having to buy online.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
    I think the other question is what is the intended use by the OP.

2k-3k rounds may take them 10-20 years to reach or may be within 1 year depending on planned use. At which point a $200-300 barrel may not be a big deal for the improved accuracy with reduced recoil. Mine is a savage 10 and a new 6.5 barrel is as low as $160 on the low end and $500 on the high. plus with the savage its easy swap if I want to use .308 when it does need a new barrel.

Ammo price wise looks like even wally world is starting to carry 6.5cm in guns and ammo. with a box of 125gr Winchester under $19 and 140gr Fusion under $26, so if its not intended on being a match gun and is just for game or hobby long range ammo is there without having to buy online.
    Some good info here, I doubt I'll ever wear out my Browning 6.5 Creedmoor as all I use it for is hunting and put less than 50 rounds a year through it. But it is good to know at what point I might expect to see some barrel wear.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Tuff View Post
    The article talking about 20 round strings and the barrel getting hot is leaving out that those 20 rounds are shot approximately one a minute over 20 minutes.
    Last edited by Hawk; September 17th, 2017 at 08:05 AM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast