Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Help with FB discussion

There's a video making its way around FB recently that I got into it with some other posters about. Motorist is pulled over for a taillight out. Officer comes to drivers window, asks motorist if he has any weapons. Motorist replies in the affirmative. Not sure, but I think he told the officer he had a LTCF in his state. Motorists wife is very loud, causing issues. Officer asks motorist to step out of the vehicle for his (officers) safety. Motorist refuses, citing the fact that his weapon is being carried legally plus the fact that his son is in the rear seat. Wife is NOT helping, getting loud. Long story short , motorist ends up getting forcibly removed from the vehicle.

As can be expected, several comments were left on FB, all stating that "he should just obey". I dissented, and stated that I did not think the officer had cause to remove the motorist as he did. I was told this is "established case law", and one poster informed me he would be waiting for me to admit I was wrong. Am I?
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Help with FB discussion

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy19608 View Post
    There's a video making its way around FB recently that I got into it with some other posters about. Motorist is pulled over for a taillight out. Officer comes to drivers window, asks motorist if he has any weapons. Motorist replies in the affirmative. Not sure, but I think he told the officer he had a LTCF in his state. Motorists wife is very loud, causing issues. Officer asks motorist to step out of the vehicle for his (officers) safety. Motorist refuses, citing the fact that his weapon is being carried legally plus the fact that his son is in the rear seat. Wife is NOT helping, getting loud. Long story short , motorist ends up getting forcibly removed from the vehicle.

As can be expected, several comments were left on FB, all stating that "he should just obey". I dissented, and stated that I did not think the officer had cause to remove the motorist as he did. I was told this is "established case law", and one poster informed me he would be waiting for me to admit I was wrong. Am I?
    Fight the cop in court and on YouTube, not on the side of the road.

(Delaware County)

Yes, he(Police) can-US Supreme Court Decision.

Pennsylvania v. Mimms, 434 U.S. 106
    Tim

(Delaware County)

Disclaimer: haven't seen the video in question, just going off the description...

Personally, removing the wife would be my first thought, as she is actually interfering with the traffic stop. That said, I also do not think the officer had cause to remove the driver. *THAT* having been said, I would not be admitting error until someone provided a citation to said "established case law".

With all of the above in mind, the better part of valor is discretion...
    Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Fight the cop in court and on YouTube, not on the side of the road.
    ...like this

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

snuffy, can you post a link to the video?

(Luzerne County)

no problem. officer says to get you get out.
    you have two choices,get out on your own or officer helps you.
    officer turns you around and takes your ccw, you say please be careful with that.
    ...................skip to the end. you now have a summons for a tail light and hopefully your ccw.
    NOW you comely turn to your wife and ask her to call the lawyer that you have.

Quote Originally Posted by gdc View Post
    no problem. officer says to get you get out.
    you have two choices,get out on your own or officer helps you.
    officer turns you around and takes your ccw, you say please be careful with that.
    ...................skip to the end. you now have a summons for a tail light and hopefully your ccw.
    NOW you comely turn to your wife and ask her to call the lawyer that you have.
    In an ideal world, the wife calling lawyer makes sense, but in this case (barring other info like the video link), she seems to exacerbate the situation. My #1 advice to OP is to get your dog gone wife under control if: 1. You're carrying a weapon, and 2. She's in the vehicle with you. Or maybe it's her plan all along for how to collect the insurance money ASAP.
    Ragged Hole Manufacturer

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by timdennis View Post
    Yes, he(Police) can-US Supreme Court Decision.

Pennsylvania v. Mimms, 434 U.S. 106
    Very handy for those folks that like to roll the window down a tiny bit and hand out documents through a 1/2 inch gap.

"Would you please roll the window down so I can hear you?"

"No, I don't have to."

"No, no you don't. Step out of the car so I can hear you."
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Allegheny County)

Doesnt much matter if he had cause. He was told get out, or cop would get him out. He chose for the cop to get him out. What's the issue ?

P.s: life without Facebook is wonderful

(Berks County)

Call me a pussy but I treat any and all police with respect, even if/when they are dead wrong. I might win something in the long term but the short term is most likely a loss on my part. He's the boss and I'm the serf, as stated above, address any improprieties later. As for any an all passengers in the car STFU!
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast