Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Coyote Hunting Tips

I occasionally hear coyotes howling/yipping on the top of the mountain across from my camp but i never seem to have my calls when they are around. Assuming i have my FoxPro caller, what are the best strategies to bring them in? Will they cross a creek or do i need to move closer to them before i start calling? I have permission to hunt on my neighbors property where they are calling. Is it better to call from a field near their cabin or should i move into the woods? Any advice is appreciated. Has anyone baited a coyote? What are the best baits?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Coyote Hunting Tips

Quote Originally Posted by GrizSquatch View Post
    I occasionally hear coyotes howling/yipping on the top of the mountain across from my camp but i never seem to have my calls when they are around. Assuming i have my FoxPro caller, what are the best strategies to bring them in? Will they cross a creek or do i need to move closer to them before i start calling? I have permission to hunt on my neighbors property where they are calling. Is it better to call from a field near their cabin or should i move into the woods? Any advice is appreciated. Has anyone baited a coyote? What are the best baits?
    come to my house and set up in the family room. takem out one by one as they try to hunt down the neighbor's cats.better hurry there goin quick. [sarc]. but true about the cats.

(Wayne County)

Are you looking to get their fur or just kill them? If your looking to get the fur, trapping them is the best way and there is loads of info on the internet for that.( Trapperman.com) What I would do is try to trap them, use leg hold traps #2 Bridger or Duke work best, Victors if you can find any are good too. I use red squirrel for bait. But you'll want to wait until trapping season and good cold weather so their pelts are prime.
    If you're looking to just kill them yep, get close, camo up, descent or use a cover scent or both and that FoxPro should bring them in.

(Montgomery County)

I don't have time to set traps when I'm up there since it's typically 2-3 day trips. Any tips on the FoxPro? Which calls work best? How long do I play the call for? How long to wait before calling again?

Thanks for the info please keep it coming!

(Susquehanna County)

I have had best luck setting up around 2am ish.. they have been hunting most of the night and willing to take more risk/come in closer without circling
    Get up off the ground and be careful leaving scent behind

Road kill makes good bait this time of year
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Montgomery County)

If i ride an ATV/truck close to the spot where i plan to setup, how long should i wait before getting setup?

(Susquehanna County)

Check out the forms here. Lots of info. http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/37-p...raccoon-forum/
    Stay armed my friends.

(Bucks County)

Sounds like they'd better stop painting yellow lines down the middle of roads. They're gonna cause an accident if some PITA slams on the brakes for a roadrunner. (Or is it PETA?)