Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMP M1

(Delaware County)

Default CMP M1

Has anyone acquired a Service Grand M1 from the CMP?
    What level of scrutiny should be used, other than a visual inspection?
    Go/NoGo, magnaflux etc.
    DonBiase
    Delaware County.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: CMP M1

Are you talking about checking them out in the store before you buy, or evaluating one you purchase through the mail?

(Delaware County)

Through the mail, directly from CMP.

(Butler County)

I've bought both ways, through the mail, and in the store. They will have already gauged the throat and muzzle, so you will have those numbers. I didn't do any more than a visual inspection of the M1 carbine I bought through the mail. The gun didn't cycle reliably, so I contacted them right away. Their customer service was excellent. They sent me a return mailing label so I could ship it back on their dime, they replaced the trigger group and gas piston, and sent it back to me in a week.

(Delaware County)

scruff:
    Thanks

(Butler County)

Good luck! Post some pics when you get it.

I bought one mail order a few years ago. Cleaned it, lubed it, shot it. I know they say to have it checked by a gunsmith but at the time I didn't really have ready access to a gun smith and I figure that they test fire them before selling so I shot it. No problems.

(Bucks County)

Years ago the CMP claimed they test fired every rifle before they sent them out. But I got a few that were so caked with cosmoline I don't think it is true anymore. Even then the rifles have all been looked at by armourer and parts were checked to see if they are in spec (including headspace). If anything is out of spec it is replaced and I have never heard of one having a major problem. If it is something minor they will fix it.

With the CMP some rifles are nicer than others but they will all go bang. Definitely give it a good cleaning then grease up the parts you are supposed to. Use grease (not oil) don't shoot it dry.

(Washington County)

I just bought an M1 last month from CMP. Mailed the application with payment and in about 15 days the rifle arrived. Couldn't have been easier. Very happy with it and was hitting steel at 600 yards (well 1 in 6 shots maybe) just last week. The steel is in amazing condition while it has a new stock which is disappointing, but you don't get to pick the individual rifle, just the grade.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Centre County)

I got a "Service" Grade Garand in 2008 that after a Garand expert I know looked at it he considered it closer to a "Collector" Grade than a Service or Correct grade gun. Guess I got lucky. Love shooting it and love the reaction of people at the range who have never been around one when I shoot and they hear the "PING". Then I get lots of questions.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast