Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: So you shot someone in self defense... Now What

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    Call 911

Request an ambulance, and that there has been an injury. Mention nothing about gunshots, or stabbings, or stuff

Say nothing to police

Wait for later

Rinse, lather, repeat.
    ^^^^ this

and no matter what, hang up on 911 immediately... do not stay on the line as they will ask you to.

fun fact: 911 starts recording immediately after you hit the last #1, even if no one has answered...

king shooters in KOP offers a class, "what to do after you shoot someone" - or something like that. it is well worth the ~$20 and time.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason O View Post
    Get the car off the street (driving to work with blood splattered all over the back window is going to get you pulled over.

Call Marcellus Wallace

Wait for return call and instructions from Mr Wolf

Load body into trunk, and clean out the car for disposal at Monster Joe's salvage yard.
    Avoid Zed's army/Navy or you may end with a sore ass.

That's actually good advice whether you're involved in a shooting or not. Just ask "The Gimp".

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
    Relax guys.. just a scenario that I can't get out my head

It's 4am and you're on your way to the job and you go to get in the car and someone out of nowhere pulls a knife or a gun but you get the drop on him and put 3 in his chest

Now what?

Obviously the first thing to do is call the cops... but I just killed or seriously wounded a man and don't want to get shot myself

I always had it in my head that I would:

1. Kick away and note the location of the robbers/man doing you harm knife or gun

2. Have my firearm Aimed at him while calling the police and giving them my approximate location..

3. keep gun aimed at him and first sign of flashing lights. I'll lay my gun on the ground take 5 steps back with hands on top of my head on, then drop to my knees so the dash cam can see me

And try to drill it into the cops that it was a self defense shooting vs another one of those senseless murders... any advice or something to add here

Edit- waiting for one of you assholes to say a shovel and a couple bags of Lime... lmao
    I would recommend reconsidering how incapacitated the suspect is, before I kicked his weapon away.

If possible get behind concealment or better yet cover.

Make sure you describe yourself physically to the dispatcher and I would state that I have an LTCF and was involved in a self defense shooting. If possible stay on the line and follow any safe instructions.

If possible I would reholster instead of holding a weapon in my hand or introducing it to a chaotic scene.

Like someone else said, after giving a conscise explaination of what happened I would state that I will fully cooperate after speaking to legal counsel and request medical attention if needed for physical or other injury.

(Philadelphia County)

Call 911

Request an ambulance, and that there has been an injury. Mention nothing about gunshots, or stabbings, or stuff

Holster pistol and put a safe distance from you and the bad guy.

Patiently await ambulance.

Get medical treatment when ambulance gets there, and say nothing regarding events... Only things related to my injuries.

Say nothing to police

Wait for later

Rinse, lather, repeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaineer1673 View Post
    ^^^^ this

and no matter what, hang up on 911 immediately... do not stay on the line as they will ask you to.

fun fact: 911 starts recording immediately after you hit the last #1, even if no one has answered...
    I was hoping danhr's response was sarcasm.

You don't have to give a confession to 911, but if it is safe to do so, I would stay on the line.

(Northampton County)

Necrophilia
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I was hoping danhr's response was sarcasm.

You don't have to give a confession to 911, but if it is safe to do so, I would stay on the line.
    It is not. It's the truth.

Reason being: if someone attacks you at 4 am, with a knife, there is an extremely high probability you are getting cut. There is no arguing that.... You will have an injury. Individuals do not attack other individuals with knives from 10+ feet away... They wait until they are close. So you are at least getting stabbed, in the OPs scenario

Here's a fact.. if you mention "shooting" or "stabbing", the ambulance is not going to putting up on scene until a police officer gets there and clears the scene. It's normal procedure that they will sit and wait for the officer to get there and clear the scene... All while you are bleeding from your injuries. They will also leave the scene if it looks dangerous and someone is waving a gun around, which is why I would holster my pistol.

My response of not saying anything to the 911 operator has nothing to do with a confession..... It has everything to do with, I will need medical attention and I would want it there asap, so I don't die.

(Monroe County)

You you don't have a answer to this question, leave the gun at home----.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Philadelphia County)

It is not. It's the truth.

Reason being: if someone attacks you at 4 am, with a knife, there is an extremely high probability you are getting cut. There is no arguing that.... You will have an injury. Individuals do not attack other individuals with knives from 10+ feet away... They wait until they are close. So you are at least getting stabbed, in the OPs scenario

Here's a fact.. if you mention "shooting" or "stabbing", the ambulance is not going to putting up on scene until a police officer gets there and clears the scene. It's normal procedure that they will sit and wait for the officer to get there and clear the scene... All while you are bleeding from your injuries. They will also leave the scene if it looks dangerous and someone is waving a gun around, which is why I would holster my pistol.

My response of not saying anything to the 911 operator has nothing to do with a confession..... It has everything to do with, I will need medical attention and I would want it there asap, so I don't die.

The OP never mentioned being injured, obviously if you are injured rendering first aid to yourself whether compression or a tourniquet is obviously in the first steps you will be taking.

I do not recommend being "vague" in the hopes that an ambulance will get there quicker to treat only your injuries.

I can only speak about Philadelphia, but a report of a shooting or stabbing has cars flying to the scene. And our protocol is to scoop any penetrating wound of the chest or abdomen. If you are stabbed, you will be on the way to a trauma center in a police car possibly before the medic unit has cleared the station.

Additionally, I know this will not be a big concern to you at that time, but a huge issue we have encountered, is what first aid we provided to the suspect we just shot. After all is said and done, it would be good to have answers while being accused of just wanting to kill the suspect during the civil trial that will most likely occur.

1.- Make sure that the dirtbag is dead. 2.-Compose yourself...wait until your heart rate and breathing return to normal. 3.- Proceed to nearest animal shelter and adopt the worst looking fleabag you can find. 4.- Return to scene of shooting. 5.- Call 911. 6.- When popo arrive they will shoot the dog (more humane than being "put down"...that's why you pick the least-likely to be adopted). 6.-Police will treat you well because the call wasn't a complete waste of time and, at the end of the day, everybody gets to go home......except for the dog.........and the guy you killed.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast