Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: So you shot someone in self defense... Now What

Quote Originally Posted by thanker92 View Post
    1.- Make sure that the dirtbag is dead. 2.-Compose yourself...wait until your heart rate and breathing return to normal. 3.- Proceed to nearest animal shelter and adopt the worst looking fleabag you can find. 4.- Return to scene of shooting. 5.- Call 911. 6.- When popo arrive they will shoot the dog (more humane than being "put down"...that's why you pick the least-likely to be adopted). 6.-Police will treat you well because the call wasn't a complete waste of time and, at the end of the day, everybody gets to go home......except for the dog.........and the guy you killed.
    Sounds like a plan, as long as you can find a dog shelter open at 4:30 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Look around. See nobody. Drive home

(Tioga County)

I think most people have it wrong. You are at your car, you have been ambushed, why sit on the X? You do not know if he has pals or who else is lurking in the darkness.

I'd get off the X and call 911, I've been attacked by a man with a knife, I'm trying to get away from him in my car, I might be injured, I need help.

I always see all these gun ads in gun magazines from various manufacturers or vendors of CC insurance and it's always someone standing there with a smoking gun with a puzzled look on their face. Dumb, get off the X, get to somewhere safer. Standing around like a dumbass, is he alive, did I miss, how was my shot group, etc. is just asking for it especially in an urban jungle.

Also something to consider is that if you are already behind the wheel and it's clear in front or the back of you, full throttle forwards or reverse out. They already have the drop on you so fumbling with your gun while stationary is not a game winner.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mountaineer1673 View Post
    ^^^^ this

and no matter what, hang up on 911 immediately... do not stay on the line as they will ask you to.

fun fact: 911 starts recording immediately after you hit the last #1, even if no one has answered...
    Another fun fact. You can't hang up on 911 with a cell phone............It stays connected.

(Philadelphia County)

That's interesting,I guess the way around that is to simply turn off the phone?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    That's interesting,I guess the way around that is to simply turn off the phone?
    Not sure if that will work either, you might have to take the battery out. Remember, Bill Gates, Google or the NSA is in control.

I found this out when I stopped for an accident and called 911. It was late at night and after I gave them the information they told me to stay on the line till the police came. I stayed on the scene but after a while tried to hang up on 911. It wouldn't let me.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    The OP never mentioned being injured, obviously if you are injured rendering first aid to yourself whether compression or a tourniquet is obviously in the first steps you will be taking.

I do not recommend being "vague" in the hopes that an ambulance will get there quicker to treat only your injuries.

I can only speak about Philadelphia, but a report of a shooting or stabbing has cars flying to the scene. And our protocol is to scoop any penetrating wound of the chest or abdomen. If you are stabbed, you will be on the way to a trauma center in a police car possibly before the medic unit has cleared the station.

Additionally, I know this will not be a big concern to you at that time, but a huge issue we have encountered, is what first aid we provided to the suspect we just shot. After all is said and done, it would be good to have answers while being accused of just wanting to kill the suspect during the civil trial that will most likely occur.
    Well if you read the first paragraph of the post you qouted you would see why I added the injury part. Maybe you can draw your piece and put a few good kill shot on target before someone can run 10 ft, but the average shooter can't.... Not even close. I regularly practice my draw and I think I'm around 15 feet.

It might be a regional thing? That's what I was told was the SOP by instructors and law enforcement. Haven't confirmed with any paramedics, but I don't talk to any locally.

Your last paragraph, I think I misinterpreted everything I said. I have no problem divulging information regarding medical treatment. I think I included that in my first post. But anything more, is not relevant to giving medical treatment and is up to my lawyer to determine how I should word. As far as giving information regarding information treatment of the said assailant, I have no problem with that..... But the question I have is: what information could I possibly give a paramedic that would help them give medical treatment to someone I just shot, that can't be easily found? I wouldn't even be able to tell them how many times I shot the assailant... Let alone where or what kind of treatment they should receive.

(Bucks County)

Everyone is thinking this will be a calm situation. If it was really a situation the OP described your not going to sit next to the body, smoke a cigarette and think about what you legally have to say (or don't say) to cover your ass. Call 911 immediately and tell them someones shot. Hopefully you won't have to fake being panicked. Do you think it will be better for you if you call in a routine stop and after the police get there you say "Oh yea I didn't mention it earlier but I had to kill this guy. We might need an ambulance too"

When you hear the cops getting close put the firearm in your car out of sight and stand in the open (under a light if possible). It wouldn't hurt to have your hands out to your sides in the open..........and don't move fast or reach for anything till you are cuffed (and you will be cuffed).

As for calling a lawyer first...........are you kidding me? The DA and the judge will love that! Call 911 first and tell them you need an ambulance. When they question you keep repeating you were attacked and had to protect yourself. When they ask more keep repeating you were attacked. You might not get arrested but you will be brought in for questioning (they are not just going to let you go home). THEN say you need a lawyer.
    Last edited by Delkal; September 4th, 2017 at 09:46 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Another fun fact. You can't hang up on 911 with a cell phone............It stays connected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Not sure if that will work either, you might have to take the battery out. Remember, Bill Gates, Google or the NSA is in control.

I found this out when I stopped for an accident and called 911. It was late at night and after I gave them the information they told me to stay on the line till the police came. I stayed on the scene but after a while tried to hang up on 911. It wouldn't let me.
    I have never heard of this. Our 911 answering point gets numerous 911 hang-ups. Mostly from cell phones.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I have never heard of this. Our 911 answering point gets numerous 911 hang-ups. Mostly from cell phones.
    This happened in Bucks county. This was years ago and thinking about it more I am not clear if I could not hang up or once I did I immediately got a callback. (sorry about that)

Even if I was wrong about not being able to hang up your number shouldl immediately be logged and they will know who you are.

Right?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast