Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

Default Has anyone had their lead level checked?

I'm putting this in reloading since we are probably most likely to have an issue. I read a couple articles on lead and have seen several people have pretty high levels of lead from shooting indoors and reloading. I guess used brass is a big source. They say to be really careful with the dust from cleaning brass and sorting it. I never even considered that. I always wash my hands after reloading but I think I need to be more careful. I'm going to try to get my blood checked in the next month and I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Default Re: Has anyone had their lead level checked?

every year at my physical, I request it.

(Tioga County)

Back when I was a smallbore rifle competitor that shot 3 hours a day in an indoor range, I ended up getting it checked and this has been 25 years now so I can't remember the exact results, but whatever it was it wasn't an imminent health risk. I always used to wash my hands after shooting.

I took a long break from any shooting only getting into it this past decade again and these days being a reloader and all I always wear nitrile gloves while reloading or cleaning firearms and sometimes picking up brass as well. I also wash my hands and after any shooting season I have handy wipes to wipe my hands off. For brass cleaning I always do wet tumbling so I don't have issues with dust.

(Chester County)

I did in 2015.

My number: 7 ug/dL. For adults, it's no problem at all in the 0 - 19 ug/dL range.

When tumbling brass, use disposable gloves and wear a nose and mouth mask AND plastic eye goggles that cover your eyes completely (like they do when you visit the dentist) when emptying the tumbler. All the dust from cleaning primer pockets, etc. is not good for your health. Periodically clean your tumbling media (with fabric softener sheets - I generally use 3-4 sheets and cut each sheet into 4 pieces) or just change out your tumbling media.

Also doesn't hurt to clean your tumbler once or twice a year depending on usage (occasional or heavy).

When handling large quantities of brass (inspecting and such), wear disposable gloves.

When casting bullets, do so in a well-ventilated room. Wear heavy work gloves. Keep the temperature around 710 degrees. It only becomes problematic when lead starts to "gas/vaporize" when you near 1,000 degrees.

And don't be so cheap that you reuse disposable gloves! Once they're off your hands, toss them.

When reloading - I wear the disposable gloves.

When I'm finished doing whatever I was doing, I always use "D-Wipes", first on my face, then on my hands.

Just my 2 cents...
    Last edited by bamboomaster; September 3rd, 2017 at 08:27 PM.
    - bamboomaster

(Tioga County)

I buy nitrile gloves on Amazon for around $10 a box, sometimes less if on sale. I use about 5-6 boxes a year for reloading. $60 is a small price to pay for not getting all that stuff on your skin.

(Berks County)

I thought about it. Never did have it checked.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Has anyone had their lead level checked?
    Another benefit of living in the fabulous fantasy utopia of Pittsburgh: Can't drink the water!

Our tap water, like the tap water of many others in this city, tests high for lead and is not safe to drink...hence the handing out of free water filters (the portable kind, not perm house installs).

Just like a 3rd world city somewhere: don't drink the water!

(Fayette County)

When I load lead pistol bullets, within a half hour of handling the bullets, I can taste metal and I am sure it is lead. I now use a rubber gloves when loading cast bullets