Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Has anyone had their lead level checked?

I musta been born containing lead. When I was in basic the DI kept screamin at me,"Get the lead outta yer ass!"

(Bucks County)

IMHO, the biggest likely source of lead intake happens when you sweep the floor or rake the grass looking for your cases, then bend over to pick them up. Next is GSR blowback while shooting - if you ever feel that on your face. Of course this assumes that your indoor range had the correct air handling system and it's working . . . and that you are not eating hotdogs while shooting and/or reloading lead bullets. Next is the dust from dry tumbling.

It seems to me the "acceptable" lead standard has been screwed down so low not because it presents a real danger to non-pregnant adults, but because the environment for most people should NOT result in lead contamination anyhwere near that amount. If you check the acceptable levels for those working in lead industries, they are a fair bit higher.

Have had my lead tested twice - 18 the first time and then 7 the second time when using the correct glass collection tubes But I did stop sweeping the range floors lol.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Are you shooting lead bullets or FMJ? If FMJ then I can't see where any lead would be left behind on the casing. If I'm not mistaken, modern gun powders do not contain any lead, so lead can't be left behind on the casing from the powder. I can't verify if there is lead compounds in the primer. Some sources say yes, others no.

The only instance of high lead residue I've read about involves indoor ranges where the bullets come apart when impacting the bullet trap and can spread lead dust. In addition, if shooters on the indoor range are shooting lead rounds (not jacketed) some of the lead bullet is vaporized on firing and exits the barrel spewing lead residue down range. If proper ventilation is lacking on the indoor range then levels of lead dust in the air and laying around can be high. I would suggest not licking anything in those indoor ranges and wash your hands afterwards.

I'm pretty sure the "black crap" is nothing more than spent powder residue.
    Primers , my friend , contain lead styphnate and most FMJ pistol bullets ( heads ) have an exposed lead base .
    I have had high lead levels in the past ( 25 years ago ) from poorly vented indoor ranges . Well over 40 if I remember correctly .
    Last edited by notenoughguns; September 7th, 2017 at 08:18 AM.
    DAN

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughguns View Post
    Primers , my friend , contain lead styphnate and most FMJ pistol bullets ( heads ) have an exposed lead base .
    I have had high lead levels in the past ( 25 years ago ) from poorly vented indoor ranges .
    Man! There's a blast from the past! You still shooting? Wife still talks about your homestead on top of the hill.
    Toujours prêt

(Cambria County)

xxx
    Last edited by notenoughguns; September 7th, 2017 at 08:16 AM.
    DAN

(Delaware County)

I'm a bullet caster and shoot 99% home cast, lubed lead. 5K rounds is a slow year. My blood lead is 5ug/DL. I take no "precautions" other than washing my hands after and not eating or smoking while handling lead.

Always wash my hands following shooting. Recently switched from a dry tumbler to an ultrasonic cleaner for brass. Never been tested. My grandfather had a good friend who died early from some brain issues that he blamed on casting bullets, I never cast bullets so I don't know the circumstances.

(Bedford County)

I have high lead levels due to my work environment. Currently at 16. Also deal with leaded race fuels and shooting as other sources. My levels have declined significantly over the years but was still considering getting treatment, and seen a top toxicologist just last week about it. He said I should be more concerned about breathing dust and fumes, than any handling of lead. Breathing lead contaminated dust is the #1 way it enters your system. Like was mentioned before the blowback on semi rifles would probably lead to exposure, and definitely the smelting and casting of bullets.

To give you an idea of exposure limits he said he wouldn't even consider treating me a t 16, and OSHA does not remove a worker from the workplace until the level goes above 40.

I get mine tested yearly as part of a work physical. Mine was elevated in the past from shooting at a particularly poor indoor range. Flat surfaces covered with carpeting from the 1970s, improper ventilation, a trap that needs cleaned etc.... While I collect, tumble and reload thousands or rounds a year, and assist a friend in casting, I have not had a problem since.

(Dauphin County)

I get blood drawn every couple months for other reasons. Once a year I have them test for lead levels since I cast pretty regularly. I cast in my basement with an exhaust fan over the bench and wash hands anytime I walk away from the pot. Also wipe down work surfaces when done since I use that bench for other projects too. Last lead level was 3. Time before was a 4.
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast