Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 629 talo

(Lycoming County)

Default S&W 629 talo

This guy.

I stumbled across one of these with accessories for a decent price yesterday and I'm seriously considering it. I've been wanting a Redhawk snubby for a while, but after handling this I might be swayed twards the Smith.

Anyone have this or maybe both it and a Ruger? How do you like it, comparison? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance guys.

(Berks County)

Default Re: S&W 629 talo

Jump in it. Not a common barrel length. 629 and 29 are some of my favorite revolvers.

(Lancaster County)

I can only speak for my 6 1/2 inch barrel 629. It's been flawless and dead on balls accurate. Unless you're a true Ruger fan I think you'll be happy with this.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lycoming County)

Thanks so far. I think I'm going to go take another look on Tuesday or Wednesday and get a total otd price. I can get the same model new ordered through my regular lgs for @ $850. This one looks essentially new with about $150 worth of extras (holster, 6 speed loaders, speed loader pouches, and extra hogue grips) for $850 list price. If they'll do that as the otd I'll probably get it. Might have to let a couple go to fund it though. I've got a cz on layaway now and I need some new glass on 1 or 2 things. I really need to win the lottery or something damn it.

(Elk County)

If the used one does NOT have the internal lock, I'd definitely buy it preferentially over a new one with the lock. That price for a used 3" 629 without a lock is decent.

I have the same looking revolver in 44 Special, the Model 624 Talo or Horton, 3" barrel. It's a handy little tackdriver.

I can't tell for certain that the one in the photo has a lock, but I do not see a frame mounted firing pin crosspin under the rear sight. All newer N, L, and K frame S&Ws with a frame mounted firing pin have an internal lock, but not all S&Ws with an internal lock have a frame mounted firing pin.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    If the used one does NOT have the internal lock, I'd definitely buy it preferentially over a new one with the lock. That price for a used 3" 629 without a lock is decent.

I have the same looking revolver in 44 Special, the Model 624 Talo or Horton, 3" barrel. It's a handy little tackdriver.

I can't tell for certain that the one in the photo has a lock, but I do not see a frame mounted firing pin crosspin under the rear sight. All newer N, L, and K frame S&Ws with a frame mounted firing pin have an internal lock, but not all S&Ws with an internal lock have a frame mounted firing pin.

Noah
    Picture was a stock photo. I'm certain it has the lock. I'm not really concerned about it, but I'd prefer it without as well. Looking at completed gb auctions the price seems"fair" to me. I wouldn't call it a steal, but the stuff that's with it is all decent quality and is probably what I would buy if I got a new one. Buying as a package could save me some $$$. This isn't an lgs that I normally deal with, so I'll just have to test out my negotiating skills.

(Indiana County)

As someone who loves both the .44 special and .44 mag as well as Smiths, I have to wonder what the draw is for someone in Pennsylvania to buy a short barreled .44 mag.

Just seems like a waste of that energy and power to use that short barrel.

Just my .02.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    As someone who loves both the .44 special and .44 mag as well as Smiths, I have to wonder what the draw is for someone in Pennsylvania to buy a short barreled .44 mag.

Just my .02.
    Me too. He should get the Ruger Alaskan in .454.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post

Just my .02.
    More comfortable to carry imho. It'll probably replace my gp100 as a hiking/fishing gun. Also I just like 3" barrelled guns. I like the look and I think they balance well.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    Me too. He should get the Ruger Alaskan in .454.
    Bonus, if you need to start a camp fire, just point it at the kindling and pull the trigger. I'm sure a 3" .44 isn't exactly tame on recoil, but that sob is a hair much. Extremely fun though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast