Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Fix a hole in an AK 47 barrel

I was removing a front site base from a Saiga AK-47 and definitely went too far on one of the holes. There are four holes around the barrel where I drilled into to remove the dimpled/pressed on factory FSB. None of them are through the barrel but I suspect one is very close. The obvious choice would be to get a new barrel. I was wondering, however, that since these holes aren't through, is there a way to fix it. Can I have them welded in? This area would be surrounded by a 24x1 front site base I was going to put on. Welded in holes that are then surrounded by a new front site base doesn't sound like the end of the world but I thought I would check with the experts.

I guess the alternative would be to just make it an SBR since its at about 15 inches down the barrel.

Thoughts and suggestions?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Fix a hole in an AK 47 barrel

I wouldn't weld a rifle or pistol barrel. Welding requires both the parent metal and the filler metal get hot enough to be molten. That amount of heat, I would think, changes the specs of the barrel in many ways...and that can't be safe, in my eyes.

(Clearfield County)

How big are the holes? You may get away with just leaving it.

it can be welded if its not through. many ak barrels have had holes welded. you may be able to leave it alone too got pix of how deep it is?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    it can be welded if its not through. many ak barrels have had holes welded. you may be able to leave it alone too got pix of how deep it is?
    I'd like to know how that's done just to know.
    If it's just a spot weld to cover the hole, i can see that but dont see how you would fill the hole to its base without opening it up a bit at which point it could melt through.
    Maybe having a void in there isn't a problem and maybe the heat needed wouldnt adversely affect the parent metal of the bbl.
    Maybe I'll Google it.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    I'd like to know how that's done just to know.
    If it's just a spot weld to cover the hole, i can see that but dont see how you would fill the hole to its base without opening it up a bit at which point it could melt through.
    Maybe having a void in there isn't a problem and maybe the heat needed wouldnt adversely affect the parent metal of the bbl.
    Maybe I'll Google it.
    it depends on where the hole is. most are just small tac welds to cover dimples like this. others (on thicker portions of the barrel) have drilled/tapped then welded over the set screw. welding may affect the accuracy to some degree. but its an ak so you arent bench rest shooting competitively. you could leave a void if it was a through hole, its no worse than the giant gas port drilled in the barrel.

(Bucks County)

Drill it all the way through.

Then you'll have saved yourself from spending $175 and sending it out to Mag-na-port.

Here is a picture of what I am dealing with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    it depends on where the hole is. most are just small tac welds to cover dimples like this. others (on thicker portions of the barrel) have drilled/tapped then welded over the set screw. welding may affect the accuracy to some degree. but its an ak so you arent bench rest shooting competitively. you could leave a void if it was a through hole, its no worse than the giant gas port drilled in the barrel.
    Gotcha.

Now, understanding as you said it's an AK, would through drilling not have sharp edges that could affect the bullet passing by those edges?
    Additionally, the same could apply to welding a touch too deeply and affecting the contour on the inside?

Again, I understand it's an ak and trying anything before buying a new bbl is probably worth the effort.

I would assume TIG but what filler wire?
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Gotcha.

Now, understanding as you said it's an AK, would through drilling not have sharp edges that could affect the bullet passing by those edges?
    Additionally, the same could apply to welding a touch too deeply and affecting the contour on the inside?

Again, I understand it's an ak and trying anything before buying a new bbl is probably worth the effort.

I would assume TIG but what filler wire?
    after a few shots they smooth out. the gasses will burn off burs too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast