Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Elk County)

Default Re: Hell hath frozen over, or, Noah buys a KelTec RDB

Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    With the advent of your positive review; does this mean I'm going to have to start stocking the ugly little bastards in the shop?

A cautiously optimistic, positive review does not a glowing endorsement make.

I'm still considering myself a blind hog as far as this particular "K-Tel" RDB acorn goes.

As far as "ugly" it kind of puts me to mind of an EM-2 (minus the 1950s sci-fi handguards), and an SA-80 / L85 / L85A1.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lehigh County)

My experience with the RDB has been pretty positive... So much that I ended up wanting a Bullpup.. however I ended up going with a Tavor.
    Not knocking this rifle in the slightest, it was fun to shoot and trigger pull was acceptable.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    A cautiously optimistic, positive review does not a glowing endorsement make.

I'm still considering myself a blind hog as far as this particular "K-Tel" RDB acorn goes.

As far as "ugly" it kind of puts me to mind of an EM-2 (minus the 1950s sci-fi handguards), and an SA-80 / L85 / L85A1.

Noah

I'm not going to go looking, but I do remember your reaction to one of the kel-tec bullpup announcements. Something about your momma not raising anyone fool enough to put their face over a barrel made by kel-tec.

(Elk County)

That was taken into consideration; the RDB has an appreciable amount of steel in the area in question.

The 308/7.62 RFB? No way.

Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    That was taken into consideration; the RDB has an appreciable amount of steel in the area in question.

The 308/7.62 RFB? No way.

Noah
    Gotta disagree with ya, Noah. My RFB has plenty of steel where it counts. I have no concerns sticking my face to my RFB's "stock". Other than when it's hot or cold. That's what the kydex cheek guard is for. The part of the chassis where your head sits has two layers of steel that would direct a catastrophic round failure down the magwell. Righties would probably survive seeing as how it's just a lung you might lose. Being a lefty and it being directed downwards so close to the heart, well, the doctor says there's a 50/50 chance of living, but only a 10% chance of that.

I will likely get an RDB some day. Either they'll bring one out in 6.5 Grendel like the claimed two years ago, or I'll get sick of waiting, suck it up and buy the one in 5.56....only to have them release one in 6.5 Grendel the next day. Hell, I'd take one that was 7.62x39 and ran AK mags. 5.45 would be even better. Soooo tired of 5.56...

(Lackawanna County)

Would you be so kind as to let us know the length of pull (buttplate-to-trigger) on your RDB? I was considering purchasing a K&M M17S556, but after countless hours of research, found the LOP to be somewhat of a reach. Unfortunately, many bullpups suffer from a very long LOP, leaving those of us who wear thick winter coats (and having stubby arms) disappointed.

Got to handle an RDB at my local shop today, first one I have seen in the wild. Overall I'd say it's got plenty going for it: light weight, full ambi controls, decent trigger...

We slotted in a magpul D60, it fit but made for some awkward handling. Shop was asking $975 for it which is cheap compared to a Tavor or AUG, more than I would spend on a range toy though.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Gotta disagree with ya, Noah. My RFB has plenty of steel where it counts. I have no concerns sticking my face to my RFB's "stock". Other than when it's hot or cold. That's what the kydex cheek guard is for. The part of the chassis where your head sits has two layers of steel that would direct a catastrophic round failure down the magwell. Righties would probably survive seeing as how it's just a lung you might lose. Being a lefty and it being directed downwards so close to the heart, well, the doctor says there's a 50/50 chance of living, but only a 10% chance of that.

I will likely get an RDB some day. Either they'll bring one out in 6.5 Grendel like the claimed two years ago, or I'll get sick of waiting, suck it up and buy the one in 5.56....only to have them release one in 6.5 Grendel the next day. Hell, I'd take one that was 7.62x39 and ran AK mags. 5.45 would be even better. Soooo tired of 5.56...

Ronin:

My statement regarding the RFB was poorly worded. I did not mean to imply that there is less metal surrounding the RFB chamber than the RDB.

I wrote "No way." meaning that I'd never own a RFB, the reason being that although give or take a few 1,000 psi depending on the loading, the chamber pressures of the 5.56 and 7.62 NATO rounds are petty similar at around 60K PSI +/-. But I wouldn't own an RFB because the 7.62 NATO cartridge is the bigger bomb in the event of a OOB event. I'll take the chance with the smaller bomb that is the 5.56.

I've experienced a few OOB events, so far without physical damage to myself. They are still harrowing. The most memorable was an Egyptian FN49 that sustained some physical damage to itself. I cut out the middle of the receiver and sold the rest as a parts kit, and promptly sold the two Belgian 30-06 FN-49s. I had one OOB in an M16A1 in the Marines while test-firing it following repair. It blew the mag out the mag well and got my adrenaline flowing, but it wasn't as dramatic or impressive as an 8x57 grenading.

Noah

(Centre County)

Noah... Do you know the barrel material specs and twist rate? Thanks....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by FLICK View Post
    Noah... Do you know the barrel material specs and twist rate? Thanks....
    AISI 4140 steel, hot salt bath nitriding QPQ.
    6 grooves, RH twist, 1:7"

Plus:

Sponge-coated edible steering column, two-way sneeze-through wind vents, chrome-studded fender dents – with doors to match.

Noah
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; September 4th, 2017 at 05:42 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast