Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt AR

Default Colt AR

I'm sure you get a lot of these questions but here it goes.

Should I get a colt model 6720, 6721 or drive 30 miles to the next town and get the 6920. All the same price.

TIA,
    JT

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Colt AR

Do they all have the thing that goes up?

(Berks County)

Personally, I like the lighter 6720. It's noticeable. Also has a 1:7 twist barrel. Second choice would be the 6920, also 1:7. Don't really see much advantage to the 6721 heavy barrel in practical use. My opinion, and worth what you paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Personally, I like the lighter 6720. It's noticeable. Also has a 1:7 twist barrel. Second choice would be the 6920, also 1:7. Don't really see much advantage to the 6721 heavy barrel in practical use. My opinion, and worth what you paid for it.
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. Thanks for confirming.

Are there any other brands/models in the $800-$1200 range that y'all would recommend more than the colt?

Bravo Company or Spikes Tactical. If you want a 16" barrel I would recommend a mid length gas system. You may be able to find it cheaper somewhere else but something like this. https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...e&groupid=8038
    Last edited by dkf; August 30th, 2017 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Bravo Company or Spikes Tactical. If you want a 16" barrel I would recommend a mid length gas system. You may be able to find it cheaper somewhere else but something like this. https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...e&groupid=8038
    Excuse my AR ignorance but what makes the Spikes better than the 6720 or 6920 colt? Or is it just like a chevy vs ford debate at that point?
    Last edited by jtrammell; August 30th, 2017 at 10:39 PM.

"Better" can be subjective, all 3 brands will function. The two other brands I mentioned tend to have better fit and finish plus they are available in a mid length which gives you more real estate to grip the rifle along with the recoil impulse being a little smoother.

(Westmoreland County)

Go for the Pony rifle. I'd opt for the 6920. It's the gold standard of M-4 carbines. Mil-spec and all parts are gauged and inspected. All load bearing parts (barrels, bolts, bolt carriers) are magnetic-particle tested. Not just batch tested but each one installed. Fit and finish is subjective. These are working rifles and not safe queens. IMHO, it's better to have parts quality than cosmetic finishes.

The 6520 is a fine rifle if you want a truly light-weight carbine. The one drawback is the fixed carry handle/rear sight base makes a low-profile optic mount damn near impossible.

The 6720 is a light-weight flat-top but I've never seen one with the proper "F" marked front sight base, though I've been told they DO exist. But I've been told the same thing about Unicorns.

The 6721 is a fine rifle with an H-Bar 1/9 twist barrel. It's a must if you live in Md. (Which you don't I see)

If you want a longer barrel and more to hang onto, go with the Colt AR-15A4 rifle. A Government weight 20 inch barrel, again, all mil-spec and inspected parts, flat-top upper as on the M-4. The issue with mid-length rifles is non-standard proprietary parts which are frequently difficult to find.

Whatever you buy, if it's a flat-top upper, be sure it has the "F" marked front sight housing for proper elevation zeroing. All the Colt M-4s have it and about 90% of the AR-15A4s do as well. I can't speak for the other manufacturers mentioned.

Good luck in your quest.

(Chester County)

Any one of the Colts will do just fine. The 1:9 is more accurate with the M193 55gr than with the M855 62gr. The 1:7 is better with the 62gr and up. Accuracy is a relative thing with carbine length barrels. I'd like to get a 20" barrel A4 preferably one Colt makes. The Marines still use a 20" barrel. The carbine was made popular for ease of getting in and out of vehicles and room to room combat in an urban environment.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Rifles/AR15A4
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Chester County)

Colt vs BCM vs LWRC vs etc...the time old question. Fortunately, at this point in the AR's history, most reputable manufacturers make a quality gun. I had a Colt 6920. Shot fine, was reliable, groups about 2" at 100 with standard crap ammo. That being said, I vote for another company. Colt is still living in the past. Buy a BCM with a free float rail or build one. Hell, even PSA has been known to put out quality rifles--for half the cost of a Colt. The AR market is at its all-time-low. Take advantage of it.

If money were no issue, my vote goes to LaRue or KAC every.single.day. LaRue has a killer deal right now. Check out their $99 build option.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast