Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Cannon Range Wanted

Not exactly Class 3, but this forum is as close as any. I am a responsible artillery enthusiast seeking a 300 - 1,000 yard remote area to conduct occasional weekend practice "live fire" cannon shooting in PA or NY. Open to a "hunter's lease" or some other rental arrangement. This is a completely legal activity, using pre-1898 ordnance. Contact Jim Schoenung. email: JSchoenung@comcast.com

(Northampton County)

Hey Jim I don't know of any ranges around here to shoot your cannon but I am willing to bet that it is way cool to shoot. I made A 75 cal cannon out of navel brass it is fun to shoot with just wadding. I would suggest talking to some farmers to see if they would let you shoot just an idea.
    Boom boom bobby says keepem running Life Member NRA

(Berks County)

The coal pits have been banned to Class III since 9/11. They used to allow anyone to shoot, but after 9/11 the neighbors started calling that terrorists were practicing. The outcome was no more Class III or shooting of any sort. The police were informed of this new policy. Same thing happened in Slatington. Just an FYI

(Montgomery County)

Wow, I would love to join you guys in those coal pits. My Bren is pointless in a inside range and thre is NOWHERE to shoot in SE PA.

If you wouldnt mind another guy sharing his toys, I'd be happy to come out.

(Bucks County)

Do they still allow Cannon shooting on Broad Street in Philly?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2
    Do they still allow Cannon shooting on Broad Street in Philly?
    Depending on how deep south you go. There is a field down there that has markings perfect to zero in a cannon or mortar.

But the problem is that you might hit a few Eagles by mistake, and we know thats a protected species.

==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Q
    That place is like a maze and the police would need helicopters just to locate the shooting!
    News flash: the police have helicopters!

And so does somebody else. Just last week a dark-grey (no, not quite 'black') helicopter, with absolutely no markings, no numbers, spent a coupla minutes circling over my range out in the woods. The side door was open and there was a guy with a gun sitting in it. I'm quite used to seeing the state police helicopter searching for pot plantations every summer (and, to be fair, my range would be perfect for that...not that I'd know, ya unnerstan), but this was not a state police helicopter. Gave me the heebie-jeebies. Wonnered if maybe I should lay down on my face with my arms and legs spread.

"Who are those guys???"
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    (Last words of Gen. John Sedgwick, referring to Confederate sharpshooters 1000 yds. away, at the battle of Spotsylvania Court House, May 9, 1864)

(Berks County)

Damn, I am sure you had to change your pants after that. If the guy was pointing the rifle at you, I would have a hard time not aiming at him. I believe at that point your life is threatened and no one has identified themselves.

(Blair County)

I don't have a place for you to shoot, I would just like to make the following statement:

Dude, you have a cannon? You are now the coolest person I know of, and my new hero.

Thank you for your time.

doug

(Dauphin County)

Cool

No worries about the grey choppers..they are looking for stray cows! I'd love to let you come up to my cabin..just to piss off the bear-lady but that would really be a..one shot deal! I'd love to get a black powder mortar or cannon but I know I'd never have a place to play with it.