Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Deer hunting convenient to MontCo

The wife has a coworker who just transplanted here from SWPA. Only being a paper-puncher, I have no good poop on spots, but he asked the wife, and so I'm asking the brain trust. Any suggestions on the best places to head for on deer day?

Default Re: Deer hunting convenient to MontCo

If we knew of spots we sure wouldn't be posting it on the internet and telling strangers about it!

Seriously though, he always has the options of SGLs or just tell him to start knocking on peoples doors.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by seoulstice View Post
    If we knew of spots we sure wouldn't be posting it on the internet and telling strangers about it!

Seriously though, he always has the options of SGLs or just tell him to start knocking on peoples doors.
    Thats kind of a shitty attitude. I may not take the guy out to my favorite spot, sit him in my tree and carry his coffee for him but I'd certainly give him some suggestions for where he can go.

Sorry I don't hunt in the area down there so not much I can advise.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

I don't know how you can imply that I have any sort of attitude given that my first sentence is common sense and the way it's been done for decades. Also, I think you should reread my post with a little bit of a sense of humour and realize that my post was made in fun.

I'm not going to post on a public messageboard about hunting spots on private land for several reasons:

A) I don't know the guy in question.

B) Finding private land to hunt on takes hours of time, gas, etc...you want to find a place to hunt, put in the time.

C) It's impolite to the landowner to bring along someone unannounced when the landowner only gave permission for you yourself to hunt. Some landowners might be ok with you bringing a friend but you are vouching for that person and because of reason A, I cannot vouch for that person.

D) Posting up on the internet about a hunting spot is retarded. It's a privilege to gain the landowner's trust enough to be allowed to hunt there but if you are dumb enough to post it on the internet and cause him a hassle because he has to turn away droves of people, he may pull the plug on the whole thing.

E) Too much hunting pressure = No harvest

I could go on and on but I think I've made showed enough common sense reasons why you don't make such things known on the WWW.

Like I said, use the SGLs or start knocking on people's doors. I don't know where the person in question works/lives but obviously the KOP area is not going to be a very easy to place to find hunting spots especially with a firearm. Tell him to drive out to Chester or Northern Montco/Berks County and knock on some doors. Make hunting friends or join a shooting range and start networking. It's getting harder and harder to find hunting around this area, I have a friend in Berks Co. right near the Montco border and it is all farmlands...yet he has lost a lot of hunting spots due to the original landowners passing away and due to the huge threat of liability these days.

(Monroe County)

I think he is looking more for which game lands are good, which are bad, any particular public hunting areas that are good for hunting? etc
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I think he is looking more for which game lands are good, which are bad, any particular public hunting areas that are good for hunting? etc
    Seriously. I don't expect for anyone to just roll over and give up their favorite places that are posted to everyone but select invitees. It takes years in some cases of making friends and earning confidence to get the run of a 2,000 acre farm overrun by fat bucks. I was just looking for an idea of the better SGLs that are within a reasonable (hour and a half) drive from here, that's all.

(Delaware County)

If he is willing to drive to Delco, Ridley state park has a ton of areas open to the public for archery hunting. Tree stands have to be climbers. The hunting is pretty good there from what I understand. Hope this is some help.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Bucks County)

Evansburg State Park is a good place to hunt.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYC308 View Post
    If he is willing to drive to Delco, Ridley state park has a ton of areas open to the public for archery hunting. Tree stands have to be climbers. The hunting is pretty good there from what I understand. Hope this is some help.
    How do you apply for the drawing in Ridley Creek State Park? We are new to this area, originally from Potter County. We have been surprised at the negative reaction to hunting in Delaware County. Very hard to find places to hunt. I'd appreciate any help, and so would our two kids. Thanks!

(Delaware County)

There are certain areas of Ridley creek state park that are open to archery hunting all of the time. But there is a drwing for the shotgun hunt that is during the firearms season. They shutdown the park for this hunt and only hunters are allowed in. You can get an application through the park office or @ the delco court house. You must have a valid doe tag to be in the hunt also, but you can buy them over the counter @ the courthouse also.

This map should help you out. The green shaded area that is west of gradyville rd is open to archery hunting without any special permit (I believe). Just contact the park office before going to get all the info so you cover your A$$.
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...creek_mini.pdf