Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Went back to old school carry

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    j-frame EDC 99% of the time.
    There is something satisfying about the ease and reliability of a wheel gun.
    I started out (first handgun) with a short barreled semi-auto 45ACP which I am actually poised to sell now because I get hammer bite from it... Although I'm not sure if maybe I'll end up keeping it. If I sell it I'm I tempted to try a Charter Arms Pitbull in the same caliber. Before buying the semi-auto one of the guns I looked at was a Charter Budog in 44spl, and the salesperson was emphasizing making my first gun a revolver. Even though I never had a problem shooting semi-auto at all, I now see what an important niche a wheel gun has in one's personal arsenal. I currently own two 357's which are too big for urban EDC. So my sights have really been turned to j-frame sized revolver's. I can think of about 3 or 4 reasons I would sometimes prefer a revolver over a semiautomatic. Not having to deal with magazines is a big one. People see magazines as a no-brainer advantage in a firefight. At times that may be true, but magazine defects probably account for a good percentage of failures in semi-autos.

I often carry my S&W Mod.37 Airweight Chiefs in a Fobus. When I downloaded it at the last Oaks show , the cop shook his head and commented "nothing simpler than a revolver!".
    Last edited by abner13; August 28th, 2017 at 08:39 AM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

On occasion I will ankle carry my wifes Taurus Ultr-Lite in 38 spl with Critical defense Loads,Mostlty though its my Glock 43 ankle of IWB !

I have been packing a SW 36 chiefs special for the last year I should retire it.

(Lycoming County)

I carry my lcr in.357 quite a bit. It's light and very concealable. It's my go-to when we go on vacation somewhere. Generally EDC for me is a 9mm, but I like the little LCR enough that I ordered a new holster for it recently with the intention of carrying it more often. My first carry gun was a revolver (gp100 3") and it served me well. I still have that one too, but the Mrs took a liking to it. It's now on hd duty for her.

(Delaware County)

I carried a Smith model 10-6 for several years and a H&R in .32 Smith and Wesson long for a short while after that. I carry one of two Ruger semi-autos mostly now. I will carry the 10 once in a while and sold the .32 years ago. I shoot the full size semi best and the smaller semi is perfect for deep concealment. I have been thinking about picking up a .44 special at some point to carry in the woods.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkrun View Post
    I have been packing a SW 36 chiefs special for the last year I should retire it.
    Why?
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Butler County)

I think alot of it is situational and environmental too. If I'm at a mall or similar, I'd rather have a hi-cap semiauto. That's the kind of place where wackos occasionally show up with black rifles to make an impression on the gene pool. But if I'm at an ATM late at night, getting in my car in a dark parking lot, maybe walking the dog before bed, taking out the trash, grabbing a quart of milk at the corner store in gym shorts.... Those are all the kinds of situations I'd almost rather have a revolver. I also prefer one driving through those touchy Midwestern states like Ohio, Michigan, etc... It's easy to unload quickly so that you don't have a loaded gun, and then reload again if needed. Can't say the same for a semi. Some of those states consider a loaded magazine in the same car as your unloaded semiauto to still be considered "loaded". Regardless of their reciprocity with P.A those states still have stricter carry laws and you have to follow them. Revolvers can make this easier and perhaps zealous Midwestern cops are less likely to try to throw the book at a wheelgun carrier just because it seems more humble than a Glock with 3 hi cap magazines.

Then there's also the situation where you have a gun shelved or in a drawer on "standby" in an office or under a car seat, in a boat, workshop, etc. Magazines springs tend to lose tension or simply become deformed over time which will affect feeding and loading. A loaded revolver can sit on a shelf indefinitely provided the humidity doesn't get to it. It's a much simpler thing to check on and maintain a revolver which has been sitting on top of a ledge near the basement door for 4 years. It will also more likely go bang than an intricately designed semi which has been sitting there for that long.
    Last edited by FJW; August 28th, 2017 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Why?
    Its way to nice to carry hate to put much ware on it.

(Cumberland County)

Slightly under-powered, but definitely hi-cap
    http://www.horstheld.com/0-541.htm

Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast