Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Went back to old school carry

Quote Originally Posted by Justin2012 View Post
    I'm a young guy (26 years old), but I still carry a small J frame S&W 637 in .38 special during the warmer months. I also carry a 686 SSR in .357 magnum in a shoulder holster during the winter months, and use my J frame as a backup gun. However, I purchased a Glock 19 last fall, and I'll most likely opt for that in a shoulder holster this winter. I will always carry a J frame revolver in my pocket as a backup gun though. Nothing beats the reliability of a revolver IMO.
    What shoulder rig do you use for the 686? I'm looking at getting another Galco rig for mine. Have a horizontal one for the 1911, but I'm thinking vertical for the revolver, for some reason.

As for me, I alternate with the 1911 and 686. Usually I carry the 1911 when I want to conceal, and the 686 when I want to open carry, which is most days.

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    What shoulder rig do you use for the 686? I'm looking at getting another Galco rig for mine. Have a horizontal one for the 1911, but I'm thinking vertical for the revolver, for some reason.

As for me, I alternate with the 1911 and 686. Usually I carry the 1911 when I want to conceal, and the 686 when I want to open carry, which is most days.
    I bought this holster for it from the NRA store back when I turned 21. I figured that the profits would help protect the second amendment, and it also serves me pretty well IMO. However, I never tried a Galco holster, so I'm not sure how it would fare compared to that.

http://www.nrastore.com/gear/holster...oulder-holster

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin2012 View Post
    I bought this holster for it from the NRA store back when I turned 21. I figured that the profits would help protect the second amendment, and it also serves me pretty well IMO. However, I never tried a Galco holster, so I'm not sure how it would fare compared to that.

http://www.nrastore.com/gear/holster...oulder-holster
    I buy stuff from the NRA Store also, to add to their donation support, I think it's great that you did the same.
    Just a word about holsters.
    Like most things, a one size fits all holster will work well enough and will usually save you some cash, but a purpose built holster is the way to go if you want better fit and function.
    I am not a fan of shoulder rigs, they are hard to conceal, and a horizontal configuration is pointing your loaded firearm at whomever is standing behind you.
    It increases the chances of shooting someone by accident, especially if drawing under pressure.
    But if you love shoulder rigs, I would recommend a vertical configuration as well as a holster purpose built for your firearm.
    Just something to consider.
    Thanks again for supporting the NRA.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I am not a fan of shoulder rigs, they are hard to conceal, and a horizontal configuration is pointing your loaded firearm at whomever is standing behind you.
    It increases the chances of shooting someone by accident, especially if drawing under pressure.
    But if you love shoulder rigs, I would recommend a vertical configuration as well as a holster purpose built for your firearm.
    I'm not what one would call petite (I'm 5'8" and doubled the weight I was when I graduated Basic Training), so I have not only width - I have depth. I have zero difficulty concealing a gov't 1911 horizontally in a Galco Miami Classic II, even under a "dress" shirt. Obviously, the larger the gun(s) and/or the smaller the carrier(s), the harder it will be, but it can be done with the right gear.

A (near-)vertical holster position (e.g. belt carry) leaves the muzzle pointed at whomever is standing on the floor below. Granted, most residential/commercial construction would slow down the round, but with an increased chance (vs. horizontal shoulder carry) of a head shot. Don't finger f#$% the trigger on the draw, and things should be fine in either case.

My 2¢
    YMMV
    etc...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    I'm not what one would call petite (I'm 5'8" and doubled the weight I was when I graduated Basic Training), so I have not only width - I have depth. I have zero difficulty concealing a gov't 1911 horizontally in a Galco Miami Classic II, even under a "dress" shirt. Obviously, the larger the gun(s) and/or the smaller the carrier(s), the harder it will be, but it can be done with the right gear.
    A (near-)vertical holster position (e.g. belt carry) leaves the muzzle pointed at whomever is standing on the floor below. Granted, most residential/commercial construction would slow down the round, but with an increased chance (vs. horizontal shoulder carry) of a head shot. Don't finger f#$% the trigger on the draw, and things should be fine in either case.
    My 2¢
    YMMV
    etc...
    Whatever works for you.
    Unfortunately, there are literally millions of people getting carry licenses (or just carrying if no permit needed) with 0 training and 0 experience.
    Gone are the days when we could reasonably expect a person that is carrying to be well trained.
    Walking around on the street, or in concrete structures like malls and many other business buildings, single story structures, driving a car, going to the market or drug store, are all examples where horizontal shoulder carry sweeps more people than a vertical rig.
    My post is not really meant for the well trained among us, it is for the millions of untrained people out there that may do a google search for a carry rig.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Montgomery County)

Unfortunately many places where I go are not gun friendly, so I go with a single stack to aid in concealment. I also have a J frame that I carry from time to time for the same reason.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    My post is not really meant for the well trained among us, it is for the millions of untrained people out there that may do a google search for a carry rig.
    </argument>

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I carry my lcr in.357 quite a bit. It's light and very concealable. It's my go-to when we go on vacation somewhere. Generally EDC for me is a 9mm, but I like the little LCR enough that I ordered a new holster for it recently with the intention of carrying it more often. My first carry gun was a revolver (gp100 3") and it served me well. I still have that one too, but the Mrs took a liking to it. It's now on hd duty for her.

New holster came this week. I've been carrying the LCR since and it's really comfortable. Picked up a new hks double speed loader pouch also to go with it. This could become one of my favorite setup's for concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkrun View Post
    I have been packing a SW 36 chiefs special for the last year I should retire it.
    Why?
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post

New holster came this week. I've been carrying the LCR since and it's really comfortable. Picked up a new hks double speed loader pouch also to go with it. This could become one of my favorite setup's for concealed carry.
    That flashlight looks like the Bushnell I bought at Wal-Mart. I carry it every day. I keep a Kershaw with it. I also am never without my leatherman wave.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast