September 24, 2017
    Sunday
    9am - 5pm
    Enrollment status: Open

Enrollment and Credential Forms

Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsmen's Club
    Click here for Directions

Please assemble at the parking lot adjacent to the Electronic Gate

This course is designed for people who have no prior formal instruction in the safe handling and use of handguns. It will be held at the Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsmen's Club, 25 minutes east of Pittsburgh in North Versailles Township.

Topics to be covered include:

Safety: Students will be exposed to four universally accepted rules of gun safety which, if followed religiously, will prevent unintended discharges.

Gun Handling and Shooting: Safe loading and unloading, correct stance and grip and basic marksmanship techniques are taught. These include proper sight alignment, sight picture, and trigger manipulation.

Shooting Drills: A course of fire has been developed to permit a novice shooter to gain experience with the concepts introduced in the program. We believe a beginning shooter will find this challenging and educational.

Equipment Discussion: The instructors will explain how to select a handgun, holster and ammunition, so your equipment fits your hand and your individual needs. This will include a review of currently available handguns, holsters and ammunition. Students will have the opportunity to examine and try out several different types of handguns. Please do not construe this to imply that firearms, holsters and other required gear will be provided by the F.I.R.E. Institute as such is not the case.

Cost $50.00 + $10.00 range fee: This includes targets, range supplies and handouts. Students to provide their own firearm, ammunition, personal gear and lunch. There are no discounts applicable to this course. Members of P.M.S.C. Sportsmen's Club are not required to pay the range fee. However, we do require membership verification on the enrollment form.

Course format: Lecture approximately 2 hours and live-fire exercises approximately 5 hours.

Instructor(s): The instructors and staff are FIRE Institute volunteers who have collectively accrued several thousand hours of formal training from experienced, professional firearms instructors. In addition to their personal firearms training, each of the course staff have attended firearms instructor schools run by professional instructors, including Jim Crews (Marksman's Enterprise) and Giles Stock (Rangemaster, Gunsite Academy).

Class size: Enrollment will be limited to eight students.

Prerequisites: No prerequisites other than the minimum age limit of 18 years old. Proof of no criminal history is required. Please read through our Credentialing documentation.

There is certain equipment which is REQUIRED in every course. One may not proceed in the course without the following:

Ear protection and Eye protection.

Cap or hat with baseball-style bill. This is to prevent ejected brass from another shooter's pistol from falling between your eyewear and your eye, burning you. It is important gear.

Handgun. Any caliber is permitted. However, the weapon itself must have a barrel at least 3.5 inches in length and the grip (stocks) must be such that all fingers rest on the grip and no fingers curl under the grip. Semi-Automatics that use magazines with grip extensions are acceptable. Snub nosed revolvers and sub-compact pocket guns are not acceptable. If you have any questions about the form factor of your handgun, please contact the course administrator. Couples attending this course together may not share a handgun. Please ensure your handgun has been cleaned and lubricated per the manufacturer's recommendations. If your handgun is equipped with adjustable sights please ensure it has been zeroed. If you do not own a handgun please read this for a recommendation or call Tony at 412.310.7838 to discuss.

A good quality holster and heavy duty belt and trousers with belt loops (no elastic waistband trousers). You must have a functional holster in order to attend this course. The holster should be of an open top design, worn on the strong side (a.k.a. firing side) hip. No shoulder holsters, cross-draw holsters, flap holsters, thumb snap holsters or pocket holsters are allowed. The holster must be of such a type that re-holstering can be accomplished with one hand . Note that many holsters of soft, synthetic construction will often collapse after the weapon is withdrawn requiring two hands to re-holster (one to hold the handgun and the other to expand the top of the holster). The belt must be sturdy enough to support the handgun and ideally , the width of the belt and the belt slots of the holster should be the same size (diameter) as the belt loops of your trousers. This provides for a stable platform whereby the handgun and holster will remain rigid and "fixed" in place. Please call Tony at 412.310.7838 if you have any questions or are in need of guidance.

At least three magazines or speed loaders. We prefer you have three, in case one malfunctions during the course.

A belt mounted magazine pouch worn on the support side (a.k.a. weak side) or in the case of a revolver, a dual speedloader pouch worn on the strong side. BDU pockets do not work well.

100 rounds of ammunition. We recommend students use one brand of ammunition throughout the course. Different brands and loads of ammunition can significantly affect the point of impact of your firearm. We also suggest students avoid the very cheapest ammunition and reloads. While "match grade" ammunition would be a waste of money, your investment in this course does justify the use of reasonably consistent ammunition. No incendiary, tracer, armor piercing, or other exotic ammunition is permitted.

Soft drinks or water to drink while down on the range. There is no water on the range itself, and the Club house is too far to run back and forth. Please bring a lunch. No alcohol of any kind is to be consumed within eight hours of the start of any course session or at any time during the course.

A back up handgun is not required but if you own or can borrow one, please bring it with you as firearms do break and we cannot stop the course to make repairs. Even if we had time, parts may not be available, and many repairs cannot be accomplished in the field.

Rain gear. The course proceeds rain or shine.

Please note:

Wear substantial shoes and "work clothes", denim jeans or fatigues.
    Please transport your handgun to the range in UNLOADED condition.
    Please contact the Course Instructor with questions regarding course content, firearms and related gear.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: One Day Handgun Clinic Sep 24th

Great class highly recommend it

(Allegheny County)

Agreed. I've suggested this to several people over the years since attending it myself.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Agreed. I've suggested this to several people over the years since attending it myself.
    As have I.
    I just texted 10 ex coworkers about this.
    I know what the response will be.
    I just took Randy Cains 101 after many years of not shooting.
    It is a diminishing skill set with disuse.

I just contacted my daughter and her boyfriend and offered to pay for both as we cannot schedule a time for me to get them out.
    A prescheduled event like this might help prioritize that.
    Hopefully.
    Last edited by 27hand; September 2nd, 2017 at 09:30 PM.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Westmoreland County)

Course is closed.