Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Is there anything illegal about this rifle?

noice. im not cheek welding anyones butt tube.
    thats just too ghey

(Allegheny County)

So how did the Facebook "conversation" turn out.

Was the guy educated, or does he still think he's the fountain of gun knowledge?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

The original message was actually from a girl who showed the post to someone else and that person told her it was illegal. The message started off with "I was told to tell you.........."

I posted the info you guys gave me and the owner of the gun confirmed it the next day. The girl never said anything.

I don't necessarily think it was a bad thing the guy told her to post the message. I'm looking at it as he saw something he thought was illegal and was trying to give a heads up. He was wrong, but no one was hurt from the information. And if nothing else and she told him what was posted, he learned something new.

I spoke to soon, they just posted " A stabilizing brace had straps and is used on your wrist not your shoulder. It's not worth doing fed time"

If he shoots it without the strap, would it be illegal? From what I am reading it is.

http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.ne...ATF-letter.pdf
    Last edited by internet troll; August 27th, 2017 at 12:27 PM.

(Berks County)

Should rename this, meat sticks and butt tubes.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Should rename this, meat sticks and butt tubes.
    How about a new picture thread "Show your meat and Rifle".
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I spoke to soon, they just posted " A stabilizing brace had straps and is used on your wrist not your shoulder. It's not worth doing fed time"

If he shoots it without the strap, would it be illegal? From what I am reading it is.

http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.ne...ATF-letter.pdf
    The most well known brace, the Sig (or SB Tactical) style brace is strapped to your forearm. However, the brace in the picture is a Shockwave Blade style brace. This is designed to rest on the side of your forearm for extra support.

Braces were originally legal to shoulder. The premise behind it was the gun was designed to be shot one handed, which is a prerequisite for being a handgun, but you can shoot a handgun however you'd like (that is, most people shoot their traditional handguns two handed, but it's not illegal. And thus, shooting a brace equipped AR pistol would not be illegal in the same manner).

Some period of time later it became illegal to shoulder. Rumor has it that a crapload of people sent letters to the ATF asking about the legality about shouldering it, and then the ATF basically got tired and said that you can use it as a brace, but touching it your shoulder would be redesigning the gun to be a short barrel rifle, and thus, illegal. After this, people used it as originally designed, braced it against their cheeks (while leaving a gap to the shoulder), or all around just lost interest in the brace.

This was most recently reversed, and it is now legal to shoulder the Sig Brace again. Not sure if it applies to Shockwave brace, but I would lean towards yes.

Basically braced pistols were always legal, but shouldering them was first legal, then illegal, then legal yet again most recently. Not sure if it applies to Shockwave, but would lean towards yes. Just a warning, the above was assembled on my memory of events alone. Supplement it with your research.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    The most well known brace, the Sig (or SB Tactical) style brace is strapped to your forearm. However, the brace in the picture is a Shockwave Blade style brace. This is designed to rest on the side of your forearm for extra support.

Braces were originally legal to shoulder. The premise behind it was the gun was designed to be shot one handed, which is a prerequisite for being a handgun, but you can shoot a handgun however you'd like (that is, most people shoot their traditional handguns two handed, but it's not illegal. And thus, shooting a brace equipped AR pistol would not be illegal in the same manner).

Some period of time later it became illegal to shoulder. Rumor has it that a crapload of people sent letters to the ATF asking about the legality about shouldering it, and then the ATF basically got tired and said that you can use it as a brace, but touching it your shoulder would be redesigning the gun to be a short barrel rifle, and thus, illegal. After this, people used it as originally designed, braced it against their cheeks (while leaving a gap to the shoulder), or all around just lost interest in the brace.

This was most recently reversed, and it is now legal to shoulder the Sig Brace again. Not sure if it applies to Shockwave brace, but I would lean towards yes.

Basically braced pistols were always legal, but shouldering them was first legal, then illegal, then legal yet again most recently. Not sure if it applies to Shockwave, but would lean towards yes. Just a warning, the above was assembled on my memory of events alone. Supplement it with your research.
    You got it. It comes down to intent. Did you build or buy said equipped pistol to shoulder it (illegal) or do you sometimes shoulder your brace equipped pistol that you built/bought to use as a pistol because you're a law abiding, red blooded 'Merican.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Lackawanna County)

Intent doesn't matter anymore it's been reversed again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast