Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Fabricating a deer hanging pole

OK guys.
    I'm looking for ideas for fabricating a sectional pole for hanging deer at camp.

I have about 12 feet of 4" steel pipe and about 8 feet of 3" steel pipe.
    I also have some 8" wide steel plate by 3/8" thick. I also have a short piece of 3 1/2" pipe which fits into 4" and allows 3" to fit fairly tight inside of it (a step down reducer if you will).

I'm guessing a hanging deer extends about 8 feet or a bit more and should be at least 5 feet off the ground.

Base: We need a base to bolt the stand to. It will be concrete.
    I suppose we will use a truck to pull the deer up to the top crossmember ( eyebolt and possibly pulley up there).
    Base should be substantial enough to not get pulled over doing this. Might end up using manpower or comealong here.

Within the concrete base will either be anchor bolts embedded in the concrete or a short piece of 4" steel with a plate welded to it (bolt holes to receive the vertical).

I'll make any welds here and transport the pieces to camp for assembly.

We decided to make it substantial enough that our kiddos will get a good many years out of it without having to replace it.

Like I said. Looking for ideas. Maybe something a bit different from what I sketched but practical and substantial.

Nothing with wood.

I drew up a preliminary sketch.

2017-08-24_10-32-25 by poofy27, on Flickr

Thanks.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Fabricating a deer hanging pole

how high are you are you thinking of making it? are you going to use it for just hanging them or skinning them also?

(Lancaster County)

My personal favorite are the ones that pivot like an old flagpole. So you can hook the deer up on the ground then hoist it all up.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by chaos19671 View Post
    how high are you are you thinking of making it? are you going to use it for just hanging them or skinning them also?
    Lost a response. Hopefully it won't double up.
    I'll likely make it about 16 feet or a bit higher since I have the pipe. It'll be used only to hang deer.

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    My personal favorite are the ones that pivot like an old flagpole. So you can hook the deer up on the ground then hoist it all up.
    I'm not sure I follow a pivoting flagpole but it sounds interesting. Can you give more detail on how it works or post a pic?
    I have some 1" bar stock I could use as a pivot point. It fits through 1" pipe pretty good.

(Lancaster County)

This is the closest I could find to what I was talking about. So the long end you attach to deer and the other has weight on it, so you don't need to push too hard to lift deer up. (in attached pic the bucket would be weight) Then you tie down the weighted end when deer is high enough.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Allegheny County)

Ok. That looks cool.
    All we'll have to do is figure out pulleys and snatch blocks to elevate with a truck .
    This has promise. I'll run this past the guys. I don't think a counter weight would be needed with a dual pin near the base. One to pivot and one to lock it in.
    A crank/ pulley/ winch might be in order given the positive side that we might get more than one.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    OK guys.
    I'm looking for ideas for fabricating a sectional pole for hanging deer at camp.

I have about 12 feet of 4" steel pipe and about 8 feet of 3" steel pipe.
    I also have some 8" wide steel plate by 3/8" thick. I also have a short piece of 3 1/2" pipe which fits into 4" and allows 3" to fit fairly tight inside of it (a step down reducer if you will).

I'm guessing a hanging deer extends about 8 feet or a bit more and should be at least 5 feet off the ground.

Base: We need a base to bolt the stand to. It will be concrete.
    I suppose we will use a truck to pull the deer up to the top crossmember ( eyebolt and possibly pulley up there).
    Base should be substantial enough to not get pulled over doing this. Might end up using manpower or comealong here.

Within the concrete base will either be anchor bolts embedded in the concrete or a short piece of 4" steel with a plate welded to it (bolt holes to receive the vertical).

I'll make any welds here and transport the pieces to camp for assembly.

We decided to make it substantial enough that our kiddos will get a good many years out of it without having to replace it.

Like I said. Looking for ideas. Maybe something a bit different from what I sketched but practical and substantial.

Nothing with wood.

I drew up a preliminary sketch.

2017-08-24_10-32-25 by poofy27, on Flickr

Thanks.

Should the lower extension go down to or below the frost line to prevent heaving over time?
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Should the lower extension go down to or below the frost line to prevent heaving over time?
    Yes it should. I was wondering if the area not below would raise it during the freeze cycle.
    I may have to put either more bevel on the deeper part to prevent it coming up or put a tube under the center.

I'm not sure how much heave we might get but deeper would certainly stabilize it better.
    Thanks

(Wayne County)

I like your Idea and I too would put it below the frost line. Also I would weld another cross pipe on top and attach pulleys, just saying, what if you guys get several deer on the same day.

(Wayne County)

What no trees where you live? Fill the 4" with cement and it will never go anywhere. Got any bears around you? Make sure you get a 55 gallon plastic drum to catch the ticks and lice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast