Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Double Action Revolvers in Semi-Auto calibers?????

My favorite guns are double action revolvers in all the traditional double action revolver calibers. I have what I consider a nice collection of Dan Wessons, Rugers and Smiths. I enjoy these revolvers A-LOT. I also have plenty of Semi-Auto hand guns in 45 and 40 and look forward to getting a 10MM someday. I do NOT however, have any revolvers in the Semi-Auto Calibers 9mm, 45 ACP, 40S&W, 10MM. And I do not see a reason to ever get a double action revolver in the Semi-Auto calibers with the moon clips?? I was reading another post on this forum and I was wondering, what am I missing? What is the attraction to a double action revolver in the Semi Auto calibers. I'm not picking a fight, I'm not saying there is something wrong with semi-autos in a double action. I am honestly asking, why would you want one? I would be most interested in answers that do NOT include, "Because you can" or to keep all your ammo the same caliber. I can understand these and this would not make me want one. Am I missing some sort of other good reason to own a double action revolver in a Semi-Auto caliber??

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Double Action Revolvers in Semi-Auto calibers?????

I would assume you're referring to my post from a few days ago so I will put in my $.02 on the subject. First off, it's because I already own 9mm semis and ammo. I fail to see why it's NOT a legitimate reason. Fewer calibers means more space dedicated to ammo that multiple of my firearms can use. I sold the GP100 I used to have so that would mean buying a caliber that no other weapon I own uses. Second is price. 9mm is cheaper and more readily available. Next, ballistics. 9MM outperforms 38spl and while not exceeding 357 in both velocity and energy, I see it as a much better choice over the old 38spl round. Yes, 38spl has come a long, long way but with 9mil improving equally if not more, why not go with an already better round?

(Philadelphia County)

No offense OP but I think you are missing the point (prompting your question) if you don't want to hear a reason that includes 'because you can keep all of your ammo in the same caliber"... That's a huge driver, especially if you really want a wheelgun but have mostly semiauto pistols... Why stock or even reload another whole caliber category if you don't need to and especially if the semiauto ballistics coming from that revolver are acceptable to you/ suit your needs?

No harm meant, I'm also super jaded bc this is somewhat my niche so take my words for what they're worth... Nothing lol

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
    I would assume you're referring to my post from a few days ago so I will put in my $.02 on the subject. First off, it's because I already own 9mm semis and ammo. I fail to see why it's NOT a legitimate reason. Fewer calibers means more space dedicated to ammo that multiple of my firearms can use. I sold the GP100 I used to have so that would mean buying a caliber that no other weapon I own uses. Second is price. 9mm is cheaper and more readily available. Next, ballistics. 9MM outperforms 38spl and while not exceeding 357 in both velocity and energy, I see it as a much better choice over the old 38spl round. Yes, 38spl has come a long, long way but with 9mil improving equally if not more, why not go with an already better round?
    I agree it is a legit reason, it is a reason I understand and I agree there is an advantage to keeping everything in the same caliber. I am only saying that this would not be a reason for me to want a double action revolver in a semi-action caliber because I already have guns in multi calibers. I also agree with your ballistics explanation. I think your reasons are absolutely legit and I understand them. I am wondering if in the application you explained in your original post, if the 9MM revolver is smaller and lighter than the same gun in .38?? I am just thinking for me the whole moon clip thing would make range shooting an additional hassle or some other thing that could go wrong when you don't want something to go wrong? Thanks for your explanation.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    No offense OP but I think you are missing the point (prompting your question) if you don't want to hear a reason that includes 'because you can keep all of your ammo in the same caliber"... That's a huge driver, especially if you really want a wheelgun but have mostly semiauto pistols... Why stock or even reload another whole caliber category if you don't need to and especially if the semiauto ballistics coming from that revolver are acceptable to you/ suit your needs?

No harm meant, I'm also super jaded bc this is somewhat my niche so take my words for what they're worth... Nothing lol
    Thanks, I totally agree that this is a legit reason. No harm taken. I can 100% understand why someone would want one for this reason. The reason I said I would like to hear other explanations or reasons is because I already understand this reason, and being that I already reload and shoot multi-calibers this would not be a motivating factor for me to get one. I am ALWAYS looking for an excuse to get another gun, so I am looking for reasons OTHER than the "keep it is the same caliber" to consider the advantages of double actions in semi-action calibers.

(Bucks County)

Semi-auto pistols "soak up" some recoil produced by the semi-auto cartridges via springs and overcoming the inertia of a mass having weight (slide). Firing the semi-auto cartridge in a revolver is employing the semi-auto cartridge in a manner not intended in its design. Since in a revolver the recoil is directly imparted to the recoil plate, the only thing to absorb the recoil is the shooter and muzzle flip. It works, but what is the longevity of a revolver being battered by (let's say 10mm) versus the longevity of a semi-auto pistol? One caveat...these are just thoughts I had as I read the post.

(Centre County)

"It works, but what is the longevity of a revolver being battered by (let's say 10mm) versus the longevity of a semi-auto pistol? One caveat...these are just thoughts I had as I read the post."

I would beg to assume the revolver shooting semi auto rounds is going to last much longer than a pistol mainly because of less moving parts which could go bad/break. The recoil shield on a revolver is plenty tough, it's rare to have to replace them. How many pistols could handle (for an extended period of time) a .44 mag, 454 Casull, .480 Ruger, .460 S&W round if they were made (straight wall, rimless case) for a semi?

As for the OP's question, he might not ever need a revolver in a semi-auto cartridge but others may. Look at some of the revolver competitions nowadays and see how many shooters are using rounds in full moon clips (makes reloading even faster). They do need them to stay competitive but the average person might not. I would lean more towards a person with a lot of semi auto handguns/long guns wanting a revolver and not wanting to go to a new caliber. A nice trio would be a Marlon Camp 9, 9mm semi auto (pick your poison), and a Ruger revolver in 9mm).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Dauphin County)

Okay so faster reloads for the sake of double action revolver competition. I can see that.

(Beaver County)

faster reloads for the zombie apockaeclisp. pewpewpewpewpew.

(Bucks County)

To add on to what I originally posted, I was able to fondle an LCR is 9mm at a local store today. I knew it was going to be light but I was honestly surprised at just how light it really is. I can easily see carrying it on an ankle or in a pocket all day and not feeling any fatigue. Plus it has an excellent out of the box trigger. No grit, no spongey-ness, clean break. I can clearly see why they are so popular. The shop was asking $550 which seemed on the stiff side until I saw MSRP was nearly $670. But I still think I'll shop around first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast