Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New to hunting, and left-handed

An 870 with a rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount, a good quality SHOTGUN designed scope, Remington Copper Solid slugs and you can kill anything in North America out to and beyond 150 yards with the proper practice. Contrary to popular belief among many in the hunting community, a shotgun is NOT a major disadvantage in most hunting situations. I have never had a deer run off after sending a copper solid through both shoulder blades. It is one of my favorite hunting arms to carry while driving for black bears through the thickest nastiest stuff you could imagine. The ONLY downfall to the whole setup is the recoil and muzzle flip on the bench at the range. Sight in a few slug guns and you can shoot .338 Win Mags, full bore .45-70 loads etc....The 7mm Remington Magnums, thirty ought sixes and .270s recoil like pussycats in comparison. Kudos for learning and doing it right. Hopefully you can tag along with your buddy this year and learn the ropes. Be safe and have fun.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Kudos for learning and doing it right. Hopefully you can tag along with your buddy this year and learn the ropes. Be safe and have fun.
    Thanks much! Yes, safety is my number one priority. I will be tagging along with my buddy as much as I can this season and get as much hands on experience as I can. This will also give me time to plan on what I really need to acquire and save up for it, rather than going in blindly and going broke.

(Cumberland County)

If the shotgun areas you plan to hunt also allow muzzle loaders, that would be a possibility.

My personal favorite is the one I put together last year.

http://www.kirbos.net/ar_smoke_pole/
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    If the shotgun areas you plan to hunt also allow muzzle loaders, that would be a possibility.

My personal favorite is the one I put together last year.

http://www.kirbos.net/ar_smoke_pole/
    THAT sir, is really interesting to me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12