Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default African Dangerous Game and Big Rifles

It looks like I may have an opportunity to do an African dangerous game hunt next two years. I have never done this. The biggest shoulder fired gun I have ever fired is a 45-70 or a 10 ga shotgun. (Take your pick which is "bigger"). The .50BMG does not count, it is not a hunting rifle.

I am interested in information from anyone who has fired one of the big game rifles, whether at a target or on an actual hunt. I mean something typically used for this, and minimum in the .4 caliber and up. What did you fire, what was your experience with it, any recommendations about it, etc... I know old timers used a .303 Enfield for elephants and did just fine, but if I am going, I am going big, and getting a custom "African game" rifle, and I want a nice one that looks and feels like Africa and nothing else.

The so-called "big five" are the African Elephant, African Lion, Cape Buffalo, African Leopard, and the Rhinoceros.

Also, with a lot of information yet to be sorted out, if I had my pick I would want either an elephant or a lion. What would you pick? Why? Etc???

I am not interested in how cruel and "unsporting" any of this is, but by all means, go ahead and gripe if it makes you happy.
    Sic semper tyrannis

Default Re: African Dangerous Game and Big Rifles

I just talked to a guy that just shot a elephant a couple weeks ago.
    Never asked him what he used though.

(Berks County)

I came across an article a few years ago stating that the 45-70 can be loaded to near 458 Magnum power. I've never heard the 458 being called "not powerful enough" for anything that I can recall. Also mentioned was the idea that the 45-70 would have been very popular for African dangerous game but the common Sharp's rifles of the day were too long for the quick shots sometimes required. My Marlin Guide Gun may make me a little biased though.

(Beaver County)

I got to shoot a 458 Lott at a group shoot last year. It had a pretty stout kick but not obscene. Wasnt a custom gun but just an older gun. Definately a dangerous game caliber. Its more powerful than the 458 Win Mag.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Westmoreland County)

I have a 375 H&H, 458 Win and 458 Lott. The Lott does everything the Win was supposed to do and more. A .45-70 will never be either. Not really sure what you're asking for as they are all powerful cartridges. In regards to recoil I compare them all to a 3.5" 12 gauge. Not as terrible as some would make it out to be but extended bench sessions are not fun. Off hand they're not bad at all.

A big difference between an elephant and a lion. The elephant I'd use my Lott. Lion, cape buffalo the 375.

IF you do go see what the guide recommends, what the laws are regarding caliber restrictions. Many suggest smaller calibers like the 375 simply because the hunters can't shoot the big boys as well. But I doubt the 375 is legal for elephant in most places. The 416's either Rem or Rigby are solid choices. Both the 375 and 416 offer a flatter trajectory than the 458's. The 375 is virtually identical to a .30-06. It could also double as a plains animal gun since shots out to 300 yards are easy with it.

Modern powders have bought life back to the 458 win which struggles to reach optimal performance due to lack of case capacity. The Lotts meets this or can exceed it by a couple hundred fps with ease. If you go with a 458 I'd highly suggest the Lott over the Win provided you can handle it.
    Last edited by pennlineman; September 1st, 2017 at 11:38 PM.

(Armstrong County)

Pennlineman hit it square. Start asking the guides first, they see it every day.
    Deff inquire about caliber restrictions.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

I fired a 375 H&H,Once ! My advice is Pad the hell out of your shoulder and make sure your shouldering properley,it will still hurt and youll need to get past the recoil shy of this round that is commonly used in African hunts !

Thanks for the feedback guys!
    At this point I do not have a guide yet, and have just been getting feedback and recommendations from others. Given a choice I think I have decided on a lion, but I may not have a choice. There are so many permits and requirements for these animals.
    Sic semper tyrannis

(Franklin County)

Leopards are smaller than jaguars and mountain lions not sure how they got lumped in with elephants and rhinos...just saying..lay off the little kitties...
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Maquis View Post
    Leopards are smaller than jaguars and mountain lions not sure how they got lumped in with elephants and rhinos...just saying..lay off the little kitties...
    They are lumped in to the big five because they are considered one of the top five most dangerous animals on the continent. I'd love to hunt lion, leopard and mountain lions regardless what the tree huggers feel because I make a living killing those too.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast