Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Uniontown, Pennsylvania
    (Fayette County)
    Posts
    293
    Rep Power
    4655749

    Question Did Walther Arms Cease Production of the P99?

    There are few full size P99s listed on GB. Those which are listed are in 40 S&W.

    I surfed over to the Walther Arms website and looked at the product offerings. Walther has it broken down into concealed carry, sporting, etc.

    There is no listing for the P99. Did Walther Arms cease production of its venerable P99?
    Last edited by Spirit of 76; August 20th, 2017 at 11:06 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
    (Columbia County)
    Posts
    990
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Did Walther Arms Cease Production of the P99?

    It appears no one knows officially, but its likely that they did stop production. Some people on the Walther Forums website speculate that they might start producing them on a limited run. However Walther did sell the licensing to Magnum research who makes their clone the MR9 Eagle. S&W also made a clone at one time known as the S&W 99 but they are out of production.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Uniontown, Pennsylvania
    (Fayette County)
    Posts
    293
    Rep Power
    4655749

    Talking Re: Did Walther Arms Cease Production of the P99?

    Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    It appears no one knows officially, but its likely that they did stop production. Some people on the Walther Forums website speculate that they might start producing them on a limited run. However Walther did sell the licensing to Magnum research who makes their clone the MR9 Eagle. S&W also made a clone at one time known as the S&W 99 but they are out of production.
    Thank you for your cogent response.

    I owned a S&W SW99 two-tone but sold it years ago.

    I've read good things about the MR9 and I am considering one.

    There is just something about a P99 -- the quality and the styling really do it for me. I've held the P99c 9mm AS, and I really think its trigger is top-notch for CC. They seem to be in more abundance than the full size 9mm (which are like hen's teeth to find).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Milford, Pennsylvania
    (Pike County)
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    592879

    Default Re: Did Walther Arms Cease Production of the P99?

    Buy the Canick version. Less expensive than the Walther or Magnum Research. It is interesting that there are two companies who have copied the P99 and S&W marked one with their name on it, when most American shooters did not like the decocker on the slide. Canick later on modified the basic design and now makes a great pistol for the money.
    JC Blauvelt Gunsmith,Inc. JCBgunsmith.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
    (Columbia County)
    Posts
    990
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Did Walther Arms Cease Production of the P99?

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Blauvelt View Post
    Buy the Canick version. Less expensive than the Walther or Magnum Research. It is interesting that there are two companies who have copied the P99 and S&W marked one with their name on it, when most American shooters did not like the decocker on the slide. Canick later on modified the basic design and now makes a great pistol for the money.
    The questions I have concerning the Canick are: Does the Canick decocker work the same way the Walther P99 does? By pressing it does it decock the gun and allow the user to pull the trigger in a double action mode? Or does it just decock the gun to where the only way to fire it is to rack the slide again?

    Does the Canick take P99,S&W99 and MR9 Mags?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mohnton, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    6,001
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Did Walther Arms Cease Production of the P99?

    Canik TP9sa has slide decocker for take down only, you have to rack slide to cock striker. It's for people not comfortable with glock style trigger pull for takedown.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Uniontown, Pennsylvania
    (Fayette County)
    Posts
    293
    Rep Power
    4655749

    Default Re: Did Walther Arms Cease Production of the P99?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Canik TP9sa has slide decocker for take down only, you have to rack slide to cock striker. It's for people not comfortable with glock style trigger pull for takedown.
    I prefer the P99/MR9/SW99 (in that order) to the Canik for just that reason. I do not like the idea of a decocker which negates the double-action trigger pull. I think the P99 is superior to the Canik in this respect. With the P99 and its true clones, there is no way to decock and have a dead trigger until the slide is racked. Decock (even accidentally) with a P99 or a clone and one still can rely on that double-action trigger.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
    (Columbia County)
    Posts
    990
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Did Walther Arms Cease Production of the P99?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of 76 View Post
    I prefer the P99/MR9/SW99 (in that order) to the Canik for just that reason. I do not like the idea of a decocker which negates the double-action trigger pull. I think the P99 is superior to the Canik in this respect. With the P99 and its true clones, there is no way to decock and have a dead trigger until the slide is racked. Decock (even accidentally) with a P99 or a clone and one still can rely on that double-action trigger.
    I agree, in my opinion the Canik is not a good substitute for that reason. It also should be noted that with a P99 or clone, even if one decocks the gun, the gun cold be brought into single mode with a slight pull and release of the slide.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    jersey shore, Pennsylvania
    (Lycoming County)
    Posts
    5,074
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: Did Walther Arms Cease Production of the P99?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Canik TP9sa has slide decocker for take down only, you have to rack slide to cock striker. It's for people not comfortable with glock style trigger pull for takedown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of 76 View Post
    I prefer the P99/MR9/SW99 (in that order) to the Canik for just that reason. I do not like the idea of a decocker which negates the double-action trigger pull. I think the P99 is superior to the Canik in this respect. With the P99 and its true clones, there is no way to decock and have a dead trigger until the slide is racked. Decock (even accidentally) with a P99 or a clone and one still can rely on that double-action trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    I agree, in my opinion the Canik is not a good substitute for that reason. It also should be noted that with a P99 or clone, even if one decocks the gun, the gun cold be brought into single mode with a slight pull and release of the slide.
    The sa version is the only one that works that way though. The original tp9, and the v2 I know for sure work the same way as the p99. I believe the sf doesn't have the decocker at all and works more like a traditional striker gun.

Similar Threads

  1. Walther PPK - No new production
    By Pittsburgh Pete in forum Pistols
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: October 3rd, 2016, 12:09 AM
  2. Gettysburg Gun Show - Eagle Arms Production
    By tonyfac in forum Gun Shows
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 9th, 2012, 08:40 AM
  3. Allentown Gun Show - Eagle Arms Production
    By tonyfac in forum Gun Shows
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 14th, 2012, 08:23 PM
  4. Macungie Gun Show - Eagle Arms Production
    By tonyfac in forum Gun Shows
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 30th, 2011, 02:39 PM
  5. Wind Gap Gun Show - Eagle Arms Production
    By tonyfac in forum Gun Shows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 21st, 2011, 12:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops