Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default On Mil-Surp Guns

Being a youth at the moment, I find myself fairly late to the military surplus gun party- seeing the end of surplus guns coming into the country and all that. I've actually been watching the surplus market for going on six years now, and I've seen the damage that buying panics, and to some extent extreme growth of demand due to the growing acceptance of old military guns, can do to the buyer's market. I remember first getting into guns at 11 and just a few years later, worrying about the prices of Mosins going up, as I'd been hoping to get one as one of my first guns. Mind you, I was then worried that prices had gone up to $150 and $175. We all probably know where that one went. Now that I'm looking at colleges (yes, I know, I'm a fool, go to trade school- I don't have that option), I'm fairly strapped for cash. As such, milsurp still seems like the way to go- certainly significantly cheaper than many new-made guns. As such, I have a conundrum for you- I have approximately 10 months before I'm of the age to legally buy a rifle, yet it seems that by then the market will be almost entirely dry. What do you all think will be available as relatively inexpensive options for an intermediate shooter as of mid-2018? I'll start off by stating that I believe my best option may be to go for a Lee Enfield in .410 Musket. I simply can't see SKS rifles and Mosins remaining anywhere below $500 for much longer. My apologies if I've rambled a bit here. Also: Here's hoping this helps others. I know for a fact I'm not the only one with this issue. Thanks in advance for your advice.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: On Mil-Surp Guns

I wouldn't worry about the supply running dry. You'll be able to get a mosin for <$200 still within a year. Keep an eye on the classifieds here to monitor prices.

(Lehigh County)

Forget the 410 musket unless you really want a shotgun, then there are better choices. There will still be under $500 milsurps out there next spring. If you will settle for a 'sporterized' one, you will have a lot of choices well under that.

Keep watching, and saving your pennies and you may be surprised what you can get when the time comes. Welcome to the board by the way. You remind me of when I was 12 and got my own subscription to Guns & Ammo magazine, so I could dream if what I would one day get. That was a long time ago.

PS paragraphs are your friend if you want your posts to be read.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Clearfield County)

Turk mausers can still be found for $150. Don't consider online to be your only option, there are still many floating about on the secondary market.

BTW, you were worried about the jump from $150 to $170? I found an m44 box in my house yesterday with the price tag of $65.

(York County)

Welcome to the world of old military guns! Sorry that you weren't 17 in the 1990s, you'd have been looking at Mosims for $79, and Lee Enfields for $125.

However as already pointed out, bargains are still out there on the secondary market. You need to hang out at independent gun shops and look at what pops up in the rack from time to time. There are a huge range of great rifles out there. You can also do what a number of collectors do these days and buy modestly sporterized milsup guns at bargain prices and put them back into original configuration.

(Washington County)

Your biggest concern right now should be going to college for something you will not only tolerate but make money doing. Enough money to pay off the student loans you will pile up and buy guns!
    Last edited by JoshIronshaft; August 17th, 2017 at 10:09 AM.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Lackawanna County)

If you can only afford one, Get a Enfield #4 Mk 1. There is still a lot of .303 surplus out there. It won't be dirt cheap, 40-50 cents a round.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

(Northampton County)

On the Enfield .410 musket, it is a special cartridge formed from the .303 British case, not the .410 you can buy just about anywhere. Regarding the surplus .303 British, it is in fact mostly gone either being shot up or hoarded by collectors. If you find some I would recommend staying away from it. Most of what is available is Pakistani and is corrosive and was not stored properly. Lots of click bang stuff. This is not to discourage you from Lee Enfields, I have several that I got in the late '80s and early '90s, I just want to warn you before you jump in with both feet. New commercial ammo is out there, Privi comes to mind. They make 2 or 3 loads for the Enfield. There's also reloading and casting but that's a whole other addiction.

Milsurps can be an addiction, I have 6 or 7 Enfields myself plus an 03 Springfield, Garand and I just picked up an M1 Carbine beater that I am fixing up.

Have fun.

Stuart

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Your biggest concern right now should be going to college for something you will not only tolerate but make money doing. Enough money to pay off the student loans you will pile up and buy guns!
    Good motivation for sure...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by flygrimm View Post
    ....SNIP.....

Milsurps can be an addiction, I have 6 or 7 Enfields myself plus an 03 Springfield, Garand and I just picked up an M1 Carbine beater that I am fixing up.

Have fun.

Stuart

Sorry to hear you got bit by the bug - for there's no known cure!
    - bamboomaster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast