Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: On Mil-Surp Guns

Quote Originally Posted by flygrimm View Post
    On the Enfield .410 musket, it is a special cartridge formed from the .303 British case, not the .410 you can buy just about anywhere. Regarding the surplus .303 British, it is in fact mostly gone either being shot up or hoarded by collectors. If you find some I would recommend staying away from it. Most of what is available is Pakistani and is corrosive and was not stored properly. Lots of click bang stuff. This is not to discourage you from Lee Enfields, I have several that I got in the late '80s and early '90s, I just want to warn you before you jump in with both feet. New commercial ammo is out there, Privi comes to mind. They make 2 or 3 loads for the Enfield. There's also reloading and casting but that's a whole other addiction.

Milsurps can be an addiction, I have 6 or 7 Enfields myself plus an 03 Springfield, Garand and I just picked up an M1 Carbine beater that I am fixing up.

Have fun.

Stuart
    Wolf is making .303 british, Just bought 280 rds for $105, 37 cents a round. Sportsmans guide
    Shoots pretty good out of a SMLE No4 Mk1 I have
    Hope they bring all those Garands home, Maybe the prices will come down. And .30-06 will be around forever.

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks to you all for the advice and assurance. As for the .410 Enfields, I was in fact referring to the crates currently being sold by Southern Ohio Gun. As for college, worry not- that is most definitely one of my concerns. Again, many thanks for the advice.

(Indiana County)

I wouldn't worry about milsurps drying up in a year.
    There are always milsurps for sale and with the internet it's easier than ever to find what you are looking for.

When I started collecting I had Shotgun News, gunshows and the limited selection at Springfield Sporters to find my purchases.
    Now I can sit on the shitter at 3am and buy anything I want that I can afford.

I always wanted a CZ27, for years I never came across one locally or at any of the shows.
    I kinda put it in the back burner.
    Today, although I now have one, I could use my phone to buy one or two more right now and have them sent to my home through my C&R license.

My entire point is to not fret, go to school, pay off that debt, and then you'll have the world of collecting right in your hands.

(Lackawanna County)

I think that SKS rifles have actually gone down in value over the last few years.
    Good luck with your collection...oh, and college too.

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks for the advice, all of you.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by littlefitz View Post
    I think that SKS rifles have actually gone down in value over the last few years.
    Good luck with your collection...oh, and college too.
    Maybe Chicoms, not any others that I've seen.
    $1000 non refurb Russians are pretty common on GunBroker.
    $600 Albanians being sold locally.
    Those "new" Yugo 59/66's are out there for $500+.

(Butler County)

Once you get cosmoline in your blood it's all over. First it's a cheap Nagant, then into Mausers. Next thing you know you're coughing up over 1K for a Winchester Garand. The golden days are over, but milsurps are still around. I see them at every show. Last show I traded a beat up SKS for a all matching Swede. I have a soft spot for Swedes.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Your biggest concern right now should be going to college for something you will not only tolerate but make money doing. Enough money to pay off the student loans you will pile up and buy guns!
    I was in the same boat as the OP 10 years ago and fortunately pursued a strong degree from an affordable state school. Every job has undesirable parts, but make sure 1) it's a career you can tolerate and 2) one that pays the bills. Student loans suck!

Quote Originally Posted by westscoutguy View Post
    Being a youth at the moment, I find myself fairly late to the military surplus gun party- seeing the end of surplus guns coming into the country and all that. I've actually been watching the surplus market for going on six years now, and I've seen the damage that buying panics, and to some extent extreme growth of demand due to the growing acceptance of old military guns, can do to the buyer's market. I remember first getting into guns at 11 and just a few years later, worrying about the prices of Mosins going up, as I'd been hoping to get one as one of my first guns. Mind you, I was then worried that prices had gone up to $150 and $175. We all probably know where that one went. Now that I'm looking at colleges (yes, I know, I'm a fool, go to trade school- I don't have that option), I'm fairly strapped for cash. As such, milsurp still seems like the way to go- certainly significantly cheaper than many new-made guns. As such, I have a conundrum for you- I have approximately 10 months before I'm of the age to legally buy a rifle, yet it seems that by then the market will be almost entirely dry. What do you all think will be available as relatively inexpensive options for an intermediate shooter as of mid-2018? I'll start off by stating that I believe my best option may be to go for a Lee Enfield in .410 Musket. I simply can't see SKS rifles and Mosins remaining anywhere below $500 for much longer. My apologies if I've rambled a bit here. Also: Here's hoping this helps others. I know for a fact I'm not the only one with this issue. Thanks in advance for your advice.
    10 years ago I'd just turned 18, and was eyeing up milsurps at every local shop and gun show. Well-beaten Mausers were ~$50 and new SKSs were $125 out of the crate. I bought my share, went to college, and then life happened...bills came and my tastes changed. I sold many to cover expenses, but own more now than I did then, and what I have now is of better quality than I had then. There's a couple I should've bought that I didn't ($500 Garand and $150 Swede), and a couple more that I sold but shouldn't have. BUT the ARs that were $600 then are $400 used all day long at my LGS now. And there's a flood of police trade in Glocks, M&Ps, and Sigs for $300 and up that wasn't there then. There was even a nicely sporterized 1917 last week for $225 by me. Point being that things change over time, but with enough patience you'll likely find what you want for the price you want. Some great things go away (or at least get expensive), but some new ones come about too. If there's something you really want now that you can afford and you think will be a good investment, go for it. But don't put yourself in debt or worry that there won't be anything left...take your time and keep your eyes open. Always something new coming up for sale!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    When I started collecting I had Shotgun News, gunshows and the limited selection at Springfield Sporters to find my purchases.
    Now I can sit on the shitter at 3am and buy anything I want that I can afford.
    Ain't that the truth.
    Ever since things went wireless, taking a dump has become much more expensive :P

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    My entire point is to not fret, go to school, pay off that debt, and then you'll have the world of collecting right in your hands.
    Well said.
    Figure out how you want to earn your living, college, trade school, whatever, make it something that you enjoy doing and pays well, and you will be good to go.
    Life is much easier when your making a decent living and your doing something you are genuinely interested in.
    All the rest can wait, it will still be there when your ready.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Cumberland County)

Just hold tight there people, there are a ton of milserps waiting to come in county. I'm pretty sure if mr trump has his way, they will be arriving within the next 2 1/2 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12