Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default M&P 15-22 Trigger Upgrade

So there are a ton of different posts out there about upgrading the trigger in a 15-22. I'm looking to lighten up the pull for mine for competition. I'm not looking to go overboard. I know that an AR trigger will work, but have to be careful; as the polymer lower of the 15-22 is not Mil-Spec and slightly wider than a normal lower.

Just wonder if any of my fellow Poofians have done any major trigger upgraded to their 15-22's.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: M&P 15-22 Trigger Upgrade

Following along as j just got one of these for my daughter. The pins for the trigger do appear to be recessed quite a bit.

(Berks County)

I'm also tuning in for info / advice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I know it's not the same application, but I've watched a couple of youtube videos where the intent was to get a 15-22 to run properly with a bumpfire stock. They needed to lighten the trigger to about 3lbs and in the Sootch00 video they used a Chip McCormick trigger (I'm guessing that's a drop in). According to the the gun guru in the vid, he said that the M&P lower does accept Milspec parts

* I don't have a 15-22 nor have I ever tinkered with one
    It will accept MilSpec parts, but the lower is a little wider and apparently the pins from a standard AR trigger are not flush with the body. Apparently there are pins called Colt 910's that will work, from what I gather. After that there have been reported issues with light strikes since the trigger is designed for standard primer ignition and rimfire requires more force. Or so I've heard.

I'm actually going to start with some JP yellow springs (about $10) and see if that helps at all. If I'm shooting Steel Challenge with the rifle, no need to go overboard. There was a post on another forum of a guy that was running a damn near stock 15-22 and reported that some of his best times were with the stock trigger and that he put in a Geissele 3-gun trigger and while the trigger was awesome, it didn't change much in his times.

So I'm just curious other's experiences.

As it stands I'm making other cosmetic changes to the rifle and will post the pictures when done.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Delaware County)

I put a JP trigger in my 15-22. The yellow springs gave occasional light strikes. I changed to the red hammer spring with the yellow trigger spring and have had no issues since.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    It will accept MilSpec parts, but the lower is a little wider and apparently the pins from a standard AR trigger are not flush with the body. Apparently there are pins called Colt 910's that will work, from what I gather. After that there have been reported issues with light strikes since the trigger is designed for standard primer ignition and rimfire requires more force. Or so I've heard.

I'm actually going to start with some JP yellow springs (about $10) and see if that helps at all. If I'm shooting Steel Challenge with the rifle, no need to go overboard. There was a post on another forum of a guy that was running a damn near stock 15-22 and reported that some of his best times were with the stock trigger and that he put in a Geissele 3-gun trigger and while the trigger was awesome, it didn't change much in his times.

So I'm just curious other's experiences.

As it stands I'm making other cosmetic changes to the rifle and will post the pictures when done.
    Now that you mention it, I think I see in the video that the pins aren't flush with the receiver.

* ETA: Actually upon closer look, it looks like they took a KNS pin set and excluded the bar that goes between the two. I see the little screw inserted into the hammer pin
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; August 16th, 2017 at 11:38 AM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I put a JP trigger in my 15-22. The yellow springs gave occasional light strikes. I changed to the red hammer spring with the yellow trigger spring and have had no issues since.
    Well, poop! That would have been nice to know before I placed my order with Brownells.

I dropped a Timney in my wife's. IIRC it was mil-spec but I need anti rotation pins to make it tight.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    need anti rotation pins to make it tight.
    this. I've also swapped mine out for an aftermarket AR trigger (a drop-in made by POF USA), used the KNS pins. I've fired thousands of rounds with this setup with no issue.

(Bucks County)

I was a little off. the pins are Colt 901's https://geissele.com/large-pin-colt-...mmer-pins.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast