Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Trip to Wisconsin

I am planning a trip to Wisconsin. My brother-in-law is an occasional shooter, and was planning to bring a rifle and pistol along so we can shoot together. I have a PA LTCF, but will also be driving through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois (including Chicago), and finally Wisconsin. Not planning on speeding or driving after drinking, but we all know that unexpected stuff can happen. How much trouble might I be in if the firearms are discovered by a LEO? Would it make any difference if I left the pistol at home?

Default Re: Trip to Wisconsin

Unloaded, cased in the trunk you should be good in Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin. No idea about Ohio.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Unloaded, cased in the trunk you should be good in Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin. No idea about Ohio.
    Ohio now honors PA ltcf, as do Wisconsin and Indiana. Illinois is the only problem state. Use fopa guidelines for Illinois and avoid Chicago. Seriously it won't be much of a detour to go around it.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Ohio now honors PA ltcf, as do Wisconsin and Indiana. Illinois is the only problem state. Use fopa guidelines for Illinois and avoid Chicago. Seriously it won't be much of a detour to go around it.
    IL is NOT a problem state. IL honors licenses from ALL other states while INSIDE the vehicle. If you get out, the firearm must either be left in the locked vehicle, or left in a locked container in the vehicle.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    IL is NOT a problem state. IL honors licenses from ALL other states while INSIDE the vehicle. If you get out, the firearm must either be left in the locked vehicle, or left in a locked container in the vehicle.
    Yeah I remember reading that. I still wouldn't trust it, especially anywhere in the vicinity of Chicago. Illinois isn't a "friendly" state to gun owners by any stretch of the imagination and has some of the most corrupt police forces in the country. Personally I avoid the entire place unless I have to go there for work, just like prnj and ny.

Where is this Wisconsin you speak of?
    I know of a place in the midwest called Scanson.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Yeah I remember reading that. I still wouldn't trust it, especially anywhere in the vicinity of Chicago. Illinois isn't a "friendly" state to gun owners by any stretch of the imagination and has some of the most corrupt police forces in the country. Personally I avoid the entire place unless I have to go there for work, just like prnj and ny.
    Don't confuse Illinois with crook county and sh**cago. The rest of the state is like another country and very conservative.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Chester County)

I will be going to Green Bay, so avoiding Chicago will be next to impossible without a lengthy detour. Probably should invest in a lockable storage case in any event. I should mention that I have done this trip numerous times over the last 30 years or so, sometimes with guns in the car. Never a problem, but I was never pulled over for a traffic stop or involved in an accident.

(Butler County)

Remember, Ohio is duty-to-inform. This means inform within 30secs of being pulled over and confronted. Also, just because Ohio honors P. A. 's ltcf doesnt mean they dont have much more strict rules that you still need to follow. I know Michigan has rules about alcohol-serving establishments, school zones, etc... and their may be more. The midwestern states have alot of these things in common. Dont just read what we all right here go look up the information yourself unofficial State websites of fully endorsed gun groups. Ohio also has statuates on what "loaded" means, which can mean just having a loaded magazine nearby. For that reason, playing very compelled to just bring a revolver when I travel through States like that. It is much easier to manage in that respect.

(Butler County)

Remember, Ohio is duty-to-inform. This means inform within 30secs of being pulled over and confronted. Also, just because Ohio honors P. A. 's ltcf doesnt mean they dont have much more strict rules that you still need to follow. I know Michigan has rules about alcohol-serving establishments, school zones, etc... and there may be more. The midwestern states have alot of these things in common. Dont just read what we all right here go look up the information yourself official State websites or fully endorsed gun groups. Ohio also has statuates on what "loaded" means, which can mean just having a loaded magazine nearby. For that reason, I'm very compelled to just bring a revolver when I travel through States like that. It is much easier to manage in that respect.

Edit: sorry about all the typos eatlier. I fixed them.
    Last edited by FJW; August 17th, 2017 at 02:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast