Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question Anyone ever Paint a Pistol?

Hi, I'm Sgt.K and I'm a cheap bast frugal guy.

I have 2 blued Taurus 1911s - one for matches, one for EDC - that are experiencing rusting on the slides from the humid environs of my hybrid IWB holster, especially if I am distracted from immediate cleaning after a match. I have filled out a couple of "Contact Us" pages for local Cerakoting places, but not yet heard back. For the cost of getting both guns Koted (slide, frame, MSH) I could buy a stainless Taurus, but I don't want to go that route at this time for multiple reasons.

These are not safe queens by anyone's definition. As long as I can maintain functionality (they're clean on the INside) I'm not critically concerned about their appearance. For those into hot rodding I'm not intentionally going for "patina" or "rat rod", but I'm not opposed either.

Has anyone used rattle-can technology (say something high-temp from Home Depot) on a regularly-holstered semi with any kind of success? I've seen plenty of Youtubers doing camo projects on long guns, but not so much for pistols.

I have the following:
    • Experience with fairly detailed auto body work, including careful masking of detailed parts
    • Availability of a glass-beading booth
    • More time than money

Thoughts?

Default Re: Anyone ever Paint a Pistol?

I've rattle canned shotguns and it'll work for a short period of time but will start to flake and look like hell.
    I suppose if you took the time to do proper prep for the paint the results may be better, I just toss mine in the lawn and went to town on it.

Duplicolor makes some stuff you can peel off if you don't like it.

(Perry County)

https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/...y/?apids=10394

My buddy/fellow retired PSP/Cerakote master and member here (even if he rarely posts) that you should contact. One of his latest...

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

You don't want to get much mil thickness buildup with the paint or you have problems. The goods coatings like KG Gunkote are super thin. I like to use KG Gunkote but you need to media blast the part, spray it on with an airbrush or small detail spray gun (Brownells sells and aerosol of it though) and bake it. Basically the same process as Cerakote. Durakote is not as involved (no baking) as KG or Cerakote but it also not as durable. You can get Durakote in an Aerosol can from Brownells too. If you can't media blast the parts you could always try to use fine steel wool and get as much of the finish off. Clean really well with Acetone before painting. Prepping with steel wool or scotchbrite pad should work but the finish may not be as good looking as media blasting. Since you have access to a blast cabinet I would pick up and Airbrush (like a Badger 200) and a 4oz can of KG Gunkote in the color you want and do it yourself. Not that hard. Just use thin coats and I have found preheating the parts like they recommend does not work too well.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1150.aspx
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod60410.aspx
    Last edited by dkf; August 14th, 2017 at 04:54 PM.

(Allegheny County)

try one of the cold blueing like BROWNELLS - OXPHO-BLUE

(Centre County)

OP, you said "...that are experiencing rusting on the slides from the humid environs of my hybrid IWB holster, especially if I am distracted from immediate cleaning after a match."

If this is happening then I would recommend Cerakote. If done properly, you won't have to worry about any rust anymore. The cost isn't cheap, mainly because of the prep work (if not prepped correctly it is a waste of time and money). I have been doing this as part of my business for about 10 years now and have had no customers complain about the results. I do a frame, MSH and slide for around $150. If you are interested, PM me and I can explain what is done, how it is done, how to ship, the time it takes and the cost.

Here is one I did:
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Ive sprayed appliance epoxy on several guns, you have to bake it on though or it stays soft for weeks

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Ive sprayed appliance epoxy on several guns, you have to bake it on though or it stays soft for weeks
    When are you going to share pictures of your almond, mint green and teal firearms?
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    OP, you said "...that are experiencing rusting on the slides from the humid environs of my hybrid IWB holster, especially if I am distracted from immediate cleaning after a match."

If this is happening then I would recommend Cerakote. If done properly, you won't have to worry about any rust anymore. The cost isn't cheap, mainly because of the prep work (if not prepped correctly it is a waste of time and money). I have been doing this as part of my business for about 10 years now and have had no customers complain about the results. I do a frame, MSH and slide for around $150. If you are interested, PM me and I can explain what is done, how it is done, how to ship, the time it takes and the cost.

Here is one I did:
    I like cerakote. I have one that xring did for me a while ago and it's held up very well.

Here's before and after.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post

Here is one I did:
    I like cerakote. I have one that xring did for me a while ago and it's held up very well.

Here's before and after.
    Nice. Email sent to xring...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast