Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default can i own a handgun

hello, my name is Jesse and this is my first post. I turned 21 in April and i want to purchase a handgun, and also get a CCW permit

but heres the thing, i'm not sure if i'm eligible to do either of these things due to a criminal record

i have 2 retail theft charges (one was a 50 dollar item, the other was 2 dollars of candy) and i also have a pending DUI that i will be charged with in october

will these charges prevent me from being allowed to purchase a handgun and get a permit?

also if it does, is there anyway to go about clearing my record or something so that i am able to own and carry a firearm?

or with the charges, would i be able to purchase a handgun, but not be able to carry it?

thanks in advance for your answers.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: can i own a handgun

Quote Originally Posted by negligent View Post
    hello, my name is Jesse and this is my first post. I turned 21 in April and i want to purchase a handgun, and also get a CCW permit

but heres the thing, i'm not sure if i'm eligible to do either of these things due to a criminal record

i have 2 retail theft charges (one was a 50 dollar item, the other was 2 dollars of candy) and i also have a pending DUI that i will be charged with in october

will these charges prevent me from being allowed to purchase a handgun and get a permit?

also if it does, is there anyway to go about clearing my record or something so that i am able to own and carry a firearm?

or with the charges, would i be able to purchase a handgun, but not be able to carry it?

I dont think the prior theft related things are prohibiting, but your DUI might be depending on actual violation/damages/injuries(per new DUI law).

Your LTCF would most likely be revoked anyways during your probation period and conditions of probation dont allow for weapons possession.

You might be better off waiting until probation is complete.

Only non-convictions can be expunged. To get the convictions off your record would require a pardon from the Governor or President.
    Last edited by knight0334; September 15th, 2008 at 04:37 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Please do not list me as a reference on your application.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Please do not list me as a reference on your application.
    or me.........

hehehehe...............

(Mifflin County)

The first question is when did the retail theft happen.
    Secondly if you want to Own and carry a firearm make sure you realize the responsibility that comes with it.
    Everyone makes mistakes.
    But a DUI can be a show of your character and cause a Sheriff to say no to a LTCF.
    Last edited by Bmaninmifco; September 15th, 2008 at 04:50 PM.
    Audaces fortuna juvat

(Philadelphia County)

I'd wait a bit, and try to get these charges removed/expunged before you apply for a permit or buy yourself a gun.

The key point will be to stay out of trouble, and prove not only to society, but to yourself that you can be responsible enough, because frankly, with a DUI and two theft charges, I'd personally rather prefer you wouldn't walk around with a gun.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Dauphin County)

i have 2 retail theft charges (one was a 50 dollar item, the other was 2 dollars of candy)
    Why need a gun...... plan on stealing something bigger?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I'd wait a bit, and try to get these charges removed/expunged before you apply for a permit or buy yourself a gun.

The key point will be to stay out of trouble, and prove not only to society, but to yourself that you can be responsible enough, because frankly, with a DUI and two theft charges, I'd personally rather prefer you wouldn't walk around with a gun.
    there ya go .....

(Lycoming County)

None of the crimes you LISTED (I type listed because it's amazing how many people say they only had a certain charge until PICS puts them on hold the all of a sudden they remeber the other charges or specifics of the charges. Like the 50 dollar item was an old Jennings at a gun store) should prevent you from buying a Handgun.
    Except for the lack of disposition on the DUI. You might want to wait till that's resolved. For the LTCF i would definatly wait.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by crakkajakka15 View Post
    Why need a gun...... plan on stealing something bigger?
    That was a little rough..hilarious, but rough LOL
    "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"A Canadian is sort of like an American, but without the gun"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast