Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Heated discussion about hearing protection vs silencers at my sportsman's club.

Quote Originally Posted by NockDownPower View Post
    some people only feel good about Themselves if they are making rules for other people and they don't care what those rules are.
    You are correct. We don't like those people...

Default Re: Heated discussion about hearing protection vs silencers at my sportsman's club.

just because you use a silencer does not mean its "hearing safe" supersonic ammo magnum calibers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    This^^. Is it really that much of an inconvenience to wear ear plugs or ear muffs.
    Huh? Did someone say something? Show yourself dammit.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

I tawt i taw a fudd.............I DID, I DID TAW A FUDD!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    just because you use a silencer does not mean its "hearing safe" supersonic ammo magnum calibers etc.
    It should be noted also, that hearing loss is cumulative. People always cite 140 dB as hearing safe according to OSHA, but that's only the point where a single impulse noise can cause immediate damage. The more common exposure guideline is 85 dB over an 8 hour work shift. You could be listening to music at 90 dB across an entire work shift and still be damaging your hearing. At 140 dB, your permissible exposure time may be seconds, or maybe even less than that. If you're doing high volume or rapid fire shooting (such as pistol shooting, or plinking with a semi auto rifle), a "hearing safe" 135dB pistol suppressor may very well be still damaging your hearing.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    So does your suppressor protect you from the guy next to you with the AR-15 with the obnoxious muzzle break?
    Personally I use custom ear plugs and muffs.
    I thought of that too. The only time I shoot my suppressor without ear plugs is when I'm alone at the range. If you're alone who the hell is going to know that you're not following the rules?

Op mentioned eye protection. I wear glasses all the time just to see clearly and can not find protective shooting glasses that fit over my glasses, except for goggles. Even Midway and Cabelas could not make a suggestion. Anybody out there in the same situation that has found a brand that works?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    Op mentioned eye protection. I wear glasses all the time just to see clearly and can not find protective shooting glasses that fit over my glasses, except for goggles. Even Midway and Cabelas could not make a suggestion. Anybody out there in the same situation that has found a brand that works?
    I have prescription safety glasses that I wear so that I swap out my regular glasses for.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    Have you spoken to your eye doctor?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Do they have wrap around and full eye protection? I did speak with my eye doctor a couple years ago and he said the department that makes the glasses could not help me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast