Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Heated discussion about hearing protection vs silencers at my sportsman's club.

So apparently I am viewed at my sportsman's club as some evil James Bond ninja cat because I own a 22 silencer.

Anyways we had a meeting reviewing some new rules, and they want to make eye and ear pro mandatory. My view has always been if you are stupid enough not to use it that is just proving Darwin was right.

I chime in and say well I never wear plugs when I shoot my .22 because I have a silencer. One of the "range committee" guys says that silencers are illegal.....Then we went on a tangent about how they aren't. We finally get back to hearing protection and folks are saying no silencer's aren't hearing protection, and you have to wear ear pro when shooting silenced. This went on for 2 hours.

We really aren't doing ourselves any favors as a 2A community with so many uninformed gun owners.

Oh, and the vote went not to make it mandatory because of too much indecisiveness.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Heated discussion about hearing protection vs silencers at my sportsman's club.

What club? I am a member of three clubs and never had a issue.

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Heated discussion about hearing protection vs silencers at my sportsman's club.

What kind of guys did you expect to hang around at sportsman's club meetings?

(Berks County)

My silencer this, and my can that. Brag brag brag. L.o.l. Just kidding Good thing you went. Lots of fuddery abounds in Pa. That's why we arnt hunting deer with AR10 and 308s the way they were ment to be launched.

(Allegheny County)

Personally, I usually still wear ear pro while shooting with my suppressor. But it should be just that. A personal decision.

(Bucks County)

As a guy that suffers vertigo because I forgot to put my 'ears' on for a quick four round burst, I would have voted ' no, it's a personal choice, but , you need to sign this waiver'!
    I'll always wear mine now, but, if you want to get the free bed-spins feeling just by tilting your head back, go for it! Oh, and it comes with this awesome squeal that never goes away too!

(Bucks County)

My club says eye and ear pro are "as appropriate", no issues with suppressors provided you have your paperwork with you if someone questions the legality, I've never had anyone ask for my paperwork. At my local indoor range they asked to see the paperwork to confirm the first two times but after that they recognized me and I didn't have to anymore.

If I shoot my .300 suppressed I can usually get away with a few rounds without ear pro but I usually end up putting it on anyway. The .45 I could shoot all day suppressed without ear pro. Everyone I've ever ran into at the range either was farmiliar with suppressors or didn't have any problems with them being used.

(Montgomery County)

So does your suppressor protect you from the guy next to you with the AR-15 with the obnoxious muzzle break?
    Personally I use custom ear plugs and muffs.

(Allegheny County)

Calling it a "silencer" when speaking to Fudds is like referring to an AR15 as a "machine gun".

Old people automatically get nervous when they hear "silencer". Too much television.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    So does your suppressor protect you from the guy next to you with the AR-15 with the obnoxious muzzle break?
    Personally I use custom ear plugs and muffs.
    This^^. Is it really that much of an inconvenience to wear ear plugs or ear muffs.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast