Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Heated discussion about hearing protection vs silencers at my sportsman's club.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    Op mentioned eye protection. I wear glasses all the time just to see clearly and can not find protective shooting glasses that fit over my glasses, except for goggles. Even Midway and Cabelas could not make a suggestion. Anybody out there in the same situation that has found a brand that works?
    take your prescription to walmart perscription safety glasses are under 40 bucks like 20 if tou get the drew carry style.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Heated discussion about hearing protection vs silencers at my sportsman's club.

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    One word..... Disclaimer
    Several additional words; disclaimer, hold harmless, Etc. are not worth the paper they are printed on.
    A competent civil attorney will crush those right out of the box.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Columbia County)

Maybe it is an insurance requirement.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    Maybe it is an insurance requirement.
    Show me the policy...

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    take your prescription to walmart perscription safety glasses are under 40 bucks like 20 if tou get the drew carry style.
    Better, get a prescription specifically for focus on your front sight, then get that in safety glasses.

(Allegheny County)

I always wear ears and eyes. I have tinnitus from too many rock concerts (no regrets) and want to preserve what hearing remains so audiologist fitted plugs under muffs. As for eyes, prescription inserts behind quality protective lenses. I really don't give a damn about the range rules, I will always wear my eyes and ears. I do understand that others may hold a different perspective and, if they sign a release, they can shoot naked for all I care. I would insist on a release since there are too many folks that assume the risk until something goes south then look for someone to blame.
    I get that suppressors can be very very quiet I have witnessed a 9mm MSR platform with integral suppressor and subsonic ammo be so quiet I heard the action and the bullet hit the target instead of the report. Very cool but unless one is alone on the range, there will be noise.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Show me the policy...
    I only offer the post has a possible reason for the regulation. I am not a member of that club so I am not privy to their insurance policy. The gun club I use has signs indicating eye and ear protection is mandatory which I have no problem complying with.

Damn, I need to stop starting posts when I'm not online for roughly 24hrs.

Anyways my big thing is I do prefer using my Ruger 22/45 Lite with the silencer on when teaching new pistol shooters. The lack of recoil or need for ear pro just makes it the ideal teaching tool. I am not yelling over ear plugs or non-electronic ear pro.

As to the post about the AR-15 next to me, that is an obvious need for ear pro, but I do not want a club officer that is mowing grass over the hill to come up and correct my guest and myself for not wearing ear pro on a hearing safe firearm/silencer combo.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by duqjeep2010 View Post
    So apparently I am viewed at my sportsman's club as some evil James Bond ninja cat because I own a 22 silencer.

Anyways we had a meeting reviewing some new rules, and they want to make eye and ear pro mandatory. My view has always been if you are stupid enough not to use it that is just proving Darwin was right.

I chime in and say well I never wear plugs when I shoot my .22 because I have a silencer. One of the "range committee" guys says that silencers are illegal.....Then we went on a tangent about how they aren't. We finally get back to hearing protection and folks are saying no silencer's aren't hearing protection, and you have to wear ear pro when shooting silenced. This went on for 2 hours.

We really aren't doing ourselves any favors as a 2A community with so many uninformed gun owners.

Oh, and the vote went not to make it mandatory because of too much indecisiveness.
    Are you always the only one shooting at this club? If not, yes, you need eyes and ears.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Are you always the only one shooting at this club? If not, yes, you need eyes and ears.
    He clarified above that it would only be when he is by himself on the range with that particular pistol. He didn't want to have the range officer give him trouble simply because he doesn't have his ears on even if they aren't required.

I'm having a hard time understanding why some people are not grasping the concept. He is saying if it is him alone on the range shooting a suppressed .22 he should have the option to not wear ear protection. Obviously if someone else comes on the range and starts shooting unsuppressed he is going to put on ear protection.

Listening to some here it sounds like they assume since I shoot my .300 suppressed without ears I would also not wear ears at a shooting class when laying between two breaked .308's.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast