Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: storing ammo

Default storing ammo

So now that I have some ammo around, what's the best way to store them? I've heard using silica gel packs to keep out the moisture but should I keep them in Ammo cans too?

Does anyone know what size can to get for WWB .45 and 9mm? I'd like to get a can that packs them in snug so I don't know what size for both ammo boxes, all ammo is Winchester White Box in .45 and 9mm. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rob

(Tioga County)

Default Re: storing ammo

For my 45 acp stuff i do it on a progressive press. when i make it I make a lot. usually when the weather is bad and I can't get to the range to use it. I store it in 3lb coffee cans loose. For the range I dump some in the smaller cans as they are easier to haul around. The rifle stuff goes in MTM containers. Experimental loads go into 20rd. slip top boxes. blaster stuff on 50 or 100 round boxes. They all go in ammo cans or MTM dry boxes. Usually when I make up ammo to store long term I'm doing it on those cold winter days, The air in the house will be quite dry, thus, dessicant not needed, then they go in a sealed container, ammo can dry box or whatever. One fellow I know went to the trouble of butting his ammo in the garage inthe dead of winter. open the box, leave it untill everthing had cooled to outside temps. resealed and stored inside. As you may know sub zero temperatures are not unknown in the north end of the state. Air that has nominal humidity at 0 will be very dry at room temps. A note of caution, do NOT open that box inside until the contents has had time to stablize to room temp. A few days at least.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: storing ammo

Quote Originally Posted by romeo oscar bravo View Post
    So now that I have some ammo around, what's the best way to store them?
    Ammo cans.

I've heard using silica gel packs to keep out the moisture but should I keep them in Ammo cans too?
    I've never used desiccant in ammo cans. Ammo stored for better than ten years suffered no deterioration. Even the individual 50 round boxes were in great shape. OTOH I don't think a moisture eliminator like silica would hurt.

RWilson's point about storing it in the winter when the air is dryer is a good idea.

Does anyone know what size can to get for WWB .45 and 9mm? I'd like to get a can that packs them in snug so I don't know what size for both ammo boxes, all ammo is Winchester White Box in .45 and 9mm. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Can't help you. Getting a specific amount to fit in a specific size can is hit and miss. Buy a .50 caliber can at the next gunshow and do some trial and error.