Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default My First Successful Hunting Trip

Went to Evansburg State Park today with the 12 gauge to hunt squirrel. Previously this season I went to French Creek State Park a couple times with the 10/22 and barely spotted any squirrels, did see the ass end of a doe though.

Not even 1 minutes into the woods along the Skippack Creek Loop I saw two of them, but couldn't get a shot. I walked about a quarter mile and hiked halfway up a ridge and sat on a downed tree. Not even 5 minutes later I see three crawling up an old oak. I blasted one with a good shot, and then got another a few seconds later. Both dropped and died instantly and I was happy for clean kills and no suffering. I used a full choke with #6 high brass, making the shots from about 30 yards away.

I retrieved and dressed them. Perhaps a little slow but learning a few things during my first time. I decided two was enough for my first trip and headed home. I think I could have bagged the limit today because the woods were crawling near the creek! On my way out I saw quite a few more. And then something I thought was pretty special...

Across the creek two 8 point bucks and a doe ran by me! The way the sunlight was hitting them was awesome. Not a bad sighting for a quick trip.

Came home and cooked them up in the crock pot. I hope my deer friends I saw today are still there later on this year .

(Chester County)

Default Re: My First Successful Hunting Trip

The harvest is always bonus time, the experience of spending time in the woods doing what we love and building lasting memories is the meat and potatoes.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Went to Evansburg State Park today with the 12 gauge to hunt squirrel. Previously this season I went to French Creek State Park a couple times with the 10/22 and barely spotted any squirrels, did see the ass end of a doe though.

Not even 1 minutes into the woods along the Skippack Creek Loop I saw two of them, but couldn't get a shot. I walked about a quarter mile and hiked halfway up a ridge and sat on a downed tree. Not even 5 minutes later I see three crawling up an old oak. I blasted one with a good shot, and then got another a few seconds later. Both dropped and died instantly and I was happy for clean kills and no suffering. I used a full choke with #6 high brass, making the shots from about 30 yards away.

I retrieved and dressed them. Perhaps a little slow but learning a few things during my first time. I decided two was enough for my first trip and headed home. I think I could have bagged the limit today because the woods were crawling near the creek! On my way out I saw quite a few more. And then something I thought was pretty special...

Across the creek two 8 point bucks and a doe ran by me! The way the sunlight was hitting them was awesome
    . Not a bad sighting for a quick trip.

Came home and cooked them up in the crock pot. I hope my deer friends I saw today are still there later on this year .
    And that is the best part of being in the woods! It's the kind of thing that will get you hooked on hunting. I used to work with a guy that brought squirrel pot pie in and shared it, so there is something to google for a recipe. It was very very tasty.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Chester County)

Way to go! Thanks for posting your "day in the woods". Sounds like a Henry David Thoreau moment...
    - bamboomaster

(Wayne County)

Squirrel taste like chicken on the grill.

(Delaware County)

My friend bagged his first and the first of our group a couple weeks ago in probably the same spot. Three of us all split one squirrel. I like them so i can continue to hunt them. I hope to get a few myself net trip.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Sounds like you had a great day afield. We have many opportunities here in PA to get out into the woods. Enjoy and be safe.

(Bucks County)

Five min of sitting still seems to repair the 'rip' your presence made to the spot, if they are around, they will start to move.

I still remember my first one, across the road from the cabin about 50 years ago. I was 12 or 13 eastern arms single shot 12ga, external hammer.
    Last edited by wis bang; October 29th, 2017 at 02:00 PM.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post

Across the creek two 8 point bucks and a doe ran by me! The way the sunlight was hitting them was awesome. Not a bad sighting for a quick trip.

Congrats! May u enjoy a lifetime of the outdoors and sportsmanship. It is so rewarding.