Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default New to Deer Hunting

Hi All,

I just completed my hunter's safety course online and bought my 2017 hunting license. I've never hunted before but I'm interested in learning a new skill and would like to fill my freezer with some venison. I have some rather 'ignorant' questions I'm hoping to get some information on...

I plan to hunt in 5C with a 12ga slug gun. As soon as my hunting license comes in, I'll send for a doe permit which looks like there are quite a few left for 5C. I suppose my questions mainly focus around WHERE and HOW to hunt in this area. I won't have a stand so, given that, what are some tactics to actually come across a deer in perhaps some relatively crowded public hunting areas?

I think I may get a bit 'discouraged' if I go walk around in the woods and sit there all day and come across nothing. I know it may happen - but I'd rather employ some tactics to increase my chances.

Areas I know of close by are Evansburg State Park, French Creek State Park and the SGL near Nockamixon. Do I just literally walk around out there, stop and sit silently hoping to see something? Perhaps look for rub marks? Change locations every so often? Bring some sort of scent products? Different tactics for bucks vs. does?

If I make a harvest, do I HAVE to field dress? I'm not totally uncomfortable by it - just don't want to screw it up my first time. And then I just load it up and bring it to a professional deer processor? What if I don't make a very clean shot and am able to follow it --- seems like there's no legal way to dispatch the animal at that point? (i.e. pistol round to the head)

Thank you, from a hunting newbie!
    Last edited by jthrelf; August 12th, 2017 at 09:48 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New to Deer Hunting

From another adult onset hunter been learning things hard way for the past 3 years, may I suggest that, long before December rolls around, try taking a .22 out and going after a few squirrels (season starts mid October-ish IIRC)?

It'll probably get you more comfortable with dressing (though not necessarily the same between a squirrel and deer), it'll teach you to walk silently, and to listen carefully. You also have more chances of success, it's not as super high pressure...

I'm going to defer to other more knowledgeable people here for tactics, but I'm going to say for sure to dress your game. You go through all the effort to get it, why risk messing up the quality of the meat?

The most important thing is not to get discouraged. Enjoy the journey, don't make it all too much about the end destination.

Also, this is tough, but the best thing to do is to find a mentor. I have troubles finding one myself for some of the things I'd like to learn, but it was nice to be able to watch and assist someone dress a deer.
    Last edited by TooBigToFit; August 12th, 2017 at 09:58 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Welcome to hunt. Absolutely field dress. Primarily to let out the heat to deter bacteria growth.

Recheck your WMU maps. Evansburg is 5D. Nockamixon SGL is 5C but the park itself is 5D. Get a tag for both WMUs and your covered.

(Berks County)

Good point on the squirrel hunting. Best thing is to find a well-used trail during small game and sit 20 yards away with some cover. It's very hard for a newbie to walk-up on a deer. As far as field dressing, there's plenty of youtube videos. Basically, un-zip it(careful not to nick any organs), detach one side, detach other and turn it over like a dog laying down and pick up deer. Guts will stay on ground. Rinse well when you get home. The trick to hunting is to have an interesting day in the woods and if you get a deer that's a bonus. Patience and Good Luck.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrat View Post
    Good point on the squirrel hunting. Best thing is to find a well-used trail during small game and sit 20 yards away with some cover. It's very hard for a newbie to walk-up on a deer. As far as field dressing, there's plenty of youtube videos. Basically, un-zip it(careful not to nick any organs), detach one side, detach other and turn it over like a dog laying down and pick up deer. Guts will stay on ground. Rinse well when you get home. The trick to hunting is to have an interesting day in the woods and if you get a deer that's a bonus. Patience and Good Luck.
    Wiser words could not be spoken! The journey IS the destination. Imagine you spent a small fortune on a week long hunt out West and by chance, got your game in the first two hours. If you would not feel a bit cheated, you are not a true hunter.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

Then there is the macho type that tells how dangerous hunting is, what with all the bullets whizzing past, but getting a deer is worth it to him.

(Lycoming County)

Good advice so far. Small game is a good idea. It'll get you out in the woods and you can use the opportunity to find good spots for deer. The more you scout around, the better your odds should get. Look for deer signs (tracks, trails, hair, scat, beds, rubs). They all will show you how the deer are moving through the area.

Field dressing is a must. As was said, there's plenty of YouTube videos on it. It's better to be taught by someone, but it's not rocket science either. Just remember to be careful around the belly, so you don't knick the intestines or bladder. Especially when you get to the "Southern" end.

(Wayne County)

Watch out for the stinking ticks.

(Jefferson County)

Many butchers will not process a carcass that still retains its digestive track(stomach to colon, sometimes anus). Some wont if there are any internals what so ever, including lungs, heart, liver, gal bladder, or kidneys either.

If you gut-shot a deer - you need to get the entrails out ASAP. The bacteria in the intestines can contaminate the meat upon processing or mere handling.

Also, a gutted deer weight a bunch less. Which makes dragging back to your vehicle, and loading it in/upon it much easier.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

I don't hunt now, although years ago my fraternity brothers took me out for deer hunting and small game many times. I felt comfortable with them, because they grew up hunting. My point is, a new hunter should probably start out accompanied by a seasoned hunter with experience.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast