Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: New to Deer Hunting

Gotta laugh at how gun magazine writers and sporting goods merchants fill the needs of the practically superstitious deer hunters.

Special laundering to eliminate (or attenuate) ultra-violet reflections of clothing dyes, wizardry designed to eliminate scents that alarm the quarry.

Scientific studies indicate a deer needs to experience unusual stimulants an average of 27 times to learn it and develop a reaction to it.

I shot my first deer with a cigar burning in my mouth. I never worried about cigarette smoking beyond keeping hand motions to a minimum or hidden.

Spend good money on scent eliminators but then what will you do about the odor you expel every time you exhale?

(Montgomery County)

If you have a smartphone, download the GoHuntPA app. They have a map location that brings up all the SGL's. It will even list the acres, WMU, species, and other useful info.

Go scouting early, not only will this help with the game but also lets you locate any houses or occupied buildings that may be in the area as safe zones.

Hokkmike Guest

I have killed many deer.

One of the best hunting season I had I did not. I was in the woods on a beautiful, post card like, snowy day and watched a string of doe pass before me. At that time I was hunting only buck. It was snowing, quiet, still, pretty, and I still remember it 25 years later.

The only "hunting" advice I can offer you is "not to walk around" while hunting. Find a place in cover near a known deer trail, sit very still, be quiet, and exercise great patience. Odds of you sneaking up on a deer while walking are small indeed. They can hear and smell you long before you can see them. Stalking, as it is called, yields very occasional views of the "white tail" bounding away from you.

Cleaning a deer is yucky the first time, but experience is the only way to learn. I have field dressed all of my deer except one. The butcher, who was nearby and with whom I had a prior arrangement, want to do it himself to minimize damage to the hide - but this is not usual procedure....

Hey, good luck. I once read about a man who hunted 33 years before he got his first buck. I hope that is NOT you!!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Gotta laugh at how gun magazine writers and sporting goods merchants fill the needs of the practically superstitious deer hunters.

Special laundering to eliminate (or attenuate) ultra-violet reflections of clothing dyes, wizardry designed to eliminate scents that alarm the quarry.

Scientific studies indicate a deer needs to experience unusual stimulants an average of 27 times to learn it and develop a reaction to it.

I shot my first deer with a cigar burning in my mouth. I never worried about cigarette smoking beyond keeping hand motions to a minimum or hidden.

Spend good money on scent eliminators but then what will you do about the odor you expel every time you exhale?

Just about every time I finish a smoke, I see a deer shortly after.

Gear Queers have infiltrated every sport and hobby.

(Susquehanna County)

There are some GREAT youtube videos on field dressing..
    2 main reasons:
    -are to get the meat to cool down fast.. getting the organs out and opening up the cavity is a great way
    -to prevent the meat from becoming contaminated

Side benefit is the reduction in weight.

First timers might benefit from having some Dr latex gloves for gutting.. next time your nurse puts you in an exam room to wait for your Dr shove some gloves in your pocket :-) Most times if you ask they will even give them to you.
    when done remove them so they go inside out.. second hand holds first glove in palm so they are balled up and clean side out.. pack in - pack out.... I hate seeing gut piles with latex gloves laying there :-(

It is about being out in nature.. bringing meat home is a souvenir, bagging a buck is a major bonus. At my house, if it's brown it's down.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post

Yep...

Neither I, nor any of my kinfolk, have had any problems getting a deer while wearing our never-washed blaze orange hunting jackets. Nor having smoked recently, or eaten any human foods, nor possibly not bathed in a couple days.

The last deer I shot I still had a lit cigarette between my fingers when I pulled the rifle up. ...and I was stalking them. I was also wearing my Carharts bibs that I've only ever washed ONCE(many years before).

One thing that gets me is - camouflaged guns. ....Deer don't know what a gun is and you're already wearing blaze orange with a solid 144sq in on your head(deer are supposedly color blind). Odds are they big solid blotch moving that represents your head will alarm the deer a lot more than the sight of a gun. For all the deer know, the gun is just tree branch.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Any confirmation on the "No Semi automatics in Special Regulations Areas"? I see no mention of air rifles in the SRA either. The PAGC might not have updated the SRA sections as Page 8 says semis/air rifles are legal state wide:
    Here are some of the changes this year that hunters and trappers need to know:
    Semiautomatic rifles and air guns now can be used for hunting small game and fur bearers statewide, and there is no magazine restriction for either.
    If the SRAs are exempt from the Semi-Air rifle change then this should be mentioned specifically in "changes" section on page 8
    Also in SRAs outside Philly we CAN use semi automatic shotguns for deer:
    Remaining Counties – Muzzleloading long guns, 44 caliber or larger, manual or semiautomatic shotguns, .410 or larger, using slugs; 20-gauge or larger, using buckshot
    And semiauto shotguns for small game.
    Anyone know if the PAGC cleared this up or the difference is just laziness on the part of the PAGC?

I got cConfirmation from the PGC that semi autos are NOT permitted in the Special Regs Areas

(Bucks County)

How did you get that confirmation, 788?
    My experience has been unless you talk directly to the attorney in charge of the legal section in Hburg, or get from the actual statute the info has a high chance of being wrong.
    I have called the regional office over a few issues in past years and been led astray a few times by co's who had no idea what they're talking about.
    The co's have a very low standard for updates and training.

Op, I also started deer hunting late in life.
    Like several have said, if there is any chance of going out with a mentor or like minded friends you will have a much more enjoyable experience.
    Going out alone is fine, but it's made far better with someone experienced along to help out.
    Last edited by cdi; August 14th, 2017 at 01:32 PM.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Montgomery County)

CDL. I am posting from my phone. When I get home I will post a link.
    Probably in a new thread so it can be discussed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast