Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Open concealed carry... Hazleton

So I'm getting my gas today when I notice a middle aged man with an odd bulge just above his ass. Concealed carry worth crap, barrel hanging out bottom of shirt, grip out the other way. But the thing that made me think was not that a guy was carrying in Hazleton but HOW he was carrying.

He was driving a taxi so I can definitely understand being packed. But to be driving around with a large pistol in the small of your back? Uncomfortable might describe it...

Second, if you're gonna basically open carry why not just wear a shoulder holster? I would think that trying to pull that out to defend yourself inside a vehicle might be a bit unwieldy...

Any thoughts on this?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Open concealed carry... Hazleton

I don't care how other people carry or do much of anything.
    Before I screwed up my back I carried different 1911s sob. Butt up with the slide on an almost horizontal cant along the belt line. It was really comfortable because it's in an area where there is usually a void while sitting

Strange because it was easy to conceal with an average length loose fitting t shirt. Maybe he doesn't care or didn't do laundry that week lol

I kinda take back what I first said too. I might raise my eyebrows seeing this guy or some others I've seen but for the most part I figure not my business
    I saw a trucker with a huge ass revolver at a Burger King once. I'd say Redhawk or Blackhawk, long long barrel. Back when I thought open carry was illegal lol
    Last edited by Mitch10mm; August 9th, 2017 at 01:06 AM.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.D. View Post
    So I'm getting my gas today when I notice a middle aged man with an odd bulge just above his ass. Concealed carry worth crap, barrel hanging out bottom of shirt, grip out the other way. But the thing that made me think was not that a guy was carrying in Hazleton but HOW he was carrying.

He was driving a taxi so I can definitely understand being packed. But to be driving around with a large pistol in the small of your back? Uncomfortable might describe it...

Second, if you're gonna basically open carry why not just wear a shoulder holster? I would think that trying to pull that out to defend yourself inside a vehicle might be a bit unwieldy...

Any thoughts on this?
    i think that there are all kinds of ways to get through your day carrying. I have about three different flexible formats myself. In some of them I know with some scrutiny people could see I was carrying. That is a tradeoff sometimes. I usually wear larger pistols for the field, but there are times I end up in a more urban situation with one.

For one, I never carry anything in the small of my back.
    That's simply a defect in that guy's thinking that would be remedied by almost any other philosophy of carry.
    Two, I try to have more than one potential position for ANY gun as far as corporeal carry goes. I usually switch between appendix and 3oclock as needed. My Shield makes that a breeze (IWB belt clip)...but when I carry larger guns I. go between 2 and 3 oclock OWB. And a big gun with a big grip = quick access. 4" or a little less on the barrel = reasonably fast clearance and easier to tell at a glance where youre aiming... because in a taxi you AIN'T gonna be using your sights.

Edit: I think this thread is making me think of a S&W 64!
    S&W 64 is my poster child for this post.

Woo hoooooo!
    Last edited by FJW; August 9th, 2017 at 01:13 AM.

(Mercer County)

Personally if someone bends over I would rather see their gun than the crack of their ass.

Your first sentence I still cant stop laughing ( I saw the Bulge above the crack of his ass ) ! Carry the way you feel comfortable and secure !Thank you for the laugh of the day !

On long trips I like shoulder holsters and a light jacket.
    But I'm an old man and anything screwing around with my posture gives severe discomfort.
    Plus drawing from inside a vehicle is easier with a shoulder rig.

(Bucks County)

I'm wondering what if anything I would do if I saw that. It would cross my mind that the cabbie thinks it is concealed and doesn't realize how much it is showing, in which I would be likely to strike up a conversation with him to try to get a feel for how open he would be to my pointing it out or if he knew it and didn't care.

As presented, I'm guessing he knew and did not care, because fellow workers, bosses he works with et al would also notice it and some must have by then brought it to his attention. He may think he is discouraging would-be robbers or fares that are pussies about guns.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    He may think he is discouraging would-be robbers or fares that are pussies about guns.
    If he thinks that about a gun they will *never* see unless he loads their luggage, he has other issues...

It kinda looked like a Yaqui slide type rig...

I probably would have talked to him but i was too busy getting my 25 gal of free gas... hey, priorities lol

(Fayette County)

I once stopped at a large rest area outside Philadelphia to get something to eat and get fuel and there must have been a New Jersey convention because every vehicle in the parking lot had NJ tags.

I was OC'ing and didnt really care.
    Go inside stand in line and order my food.
    I gotta tell you, they were the most polite New Jerseyians I had ever met. Usually, people from NJ are assholes.
    But for some odd reason, they really went out of they're way to be polite. One soccer mom even let me get in front of her while standing in line.
    Truth is, I dont care how other people carry.
    If I see a person with a holstered gun in public, I usually smile and give them the thumbs up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast