Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Sigh P320 fails drop test

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Seems like a no brainer to me. I've never dropped a loaded gun.

Not saying it can't happen, but the likelihood of dropping + a discharge as a result is so low, that it's not worth worrying about, IMO.
    I've dropped mine twice but I was practice draws for competitive shooting and I was trying too hard to go fast. Both times I didn't clear the holster completely before trying to bring the gun up. Shit happens. Mine was a Glock and somehow it didn't shoot me in the leg.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    Vetman03,
    What stock Glock fired when dropped? Please show me the link to the video.

Thank you
    Yes inquiing minds want to see this video of the Glock/drop ? I cant find it anywhere and sure as hell not going to throw my belloved glock 19 or 43 on the ground just to see if it goes off ! without seeing this video !Just saying..

(Franklin County)

Hanging on to my Beretta 92 a little longer....
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Montgomery County)

I'm waiting to hear what Sig has planned on Aug. 14 before I do anything hasty.
    Until then, I will shoot my P320 and Beretta 92 as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I wonder how many people have been hurt from this since the P320 was released?
    At least one officer was shot by his P320 when it fell to the ground, Inside its holster, and it discharged with the bullet striking the officer's leg. It's a lawsuit now. http://www.guns.com/2017/08/09/sig-s...uit-over-p320/

I honestly think SIG may become a sinking ship soon. The NJSP have filed a lawsuit for 2.5 million over defective P229's, Styer is suing SIG over patent infringement, and now the police officer is suing SIG for 7 million after his P320 discharged upon falling to ground, resulting in a leg injury.

When they closed down all the German plants, and handed SIG over to that guy Cohen, things seemed to have gone amok with SIG.

(Lehigh County)

There are a couple of notable points that seem to have not been mentioned in the thread.

1: From reading a couple of other forums it appears that the M17 has slightly different and upgraded striker and fire control components from the commercial version. With those upgraded components it does not appear the pistol is susceptible to discharging when dropped.

2: What I have heard is that the upgrade or recall work to correct the issue on the P320s out there will be a changeover to the components for the M17. Something had to do with changing the slide as well. Maybe smaller channels for the lighter components, IDK.

3: What is it with the Glock fans jerking each other off over this issue? Yeah it is a serious issue but there have been tons of other firearms over the years that have had issues, even serious ones....yes, your beloved Glocks included (FBI frisbee test). I am sure that the engineering team at Sig will figure out a solution and get all of the affected guns repaired, but it isn't any different than the myriads of other companies that have recalls. The Beretta M9 had both slide and frame cracking issues. Both issues were addressed by the engineering team and the M9 has shaped up to be a downright reliable workhorse of a handgun. I suspect the issue with the Sig will be similar. Call it growing pains, or the result of not having statistically significant sample sizes, or manufacturing tolerance issues, regardless, every manufacturer at one time or another has a recall issue to deal with. It sucks in the publicity department, but in the end it is how they handle it not so much that a defect was present.

4: I don't know anything about this guy Cohen other than dribs and drabs that have been posted in various forums, but he sounds like a bit of a POS. I really hope for the 2A community that they don't become the next firearms company to implode. With Springfield Armory being persona non grata with many firearms enthusiasts, I would like to see Sig pull their shit together and get past this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 98Redline View Post
    There are a couple of notable points that seem to have not been mentioned in the thread.

1: From reading a couple of other forums it appears that the M17 has slightly different and upgraded striker and fire control components from the commercial version. With those upgraded components it does not appear the pistol is susceptible to discharging when dropped.
    According to SIG the M17 doesn't have the problems. But SIG also said the current P320 had no problems either a short time ago. Now instead of the recall they should be doing they have this whole voluntary "upgrade" deal. They didn't just pull this "upgrade" out of their ass, they knew about it for a while now. They don't do the R&D to come of with the fix and manufacturer the new parts overnight. So SIG and what they say can't be trusted, they are in damage control mode. They are at the edge of their chair hoping their M17 contract doesn't go away.(they better keep greasing the wheels they greased prior) Though at this point I'd wager they will lose a good amount of money on the whole M17 contract.

3: What is it with the Glock fans jerking each other off over this issue? Yeah it is a serious issue but there have been tons of other firearms over the years that have had issues, even serious ones....yes, your beloved Glocks included (FBI frisbee test). I am sure that the engineering team at Sig will figure out a solution and get all of the affected guns repaired, but it isn't any different than the myriads of other companies that have recalls. The Beretta M9 had both slide and frame cracking issues. Both issues were addressed by the engineering team and the M9 has shaped up to be a downright reliable workhorse of a handgun. I suspect the issue with the Sig will be similar. Call it growing pains, or the result of not having statistically significant sample sizes, or manufacturing tolerance issues, regardless, every manufacturer at one time or another has a recall issue to deal with. It sucks in the publicity department, but in the end it is how they handle it not so much that a defect was present.
    I see far more SIG/P320 fanboys dragging Glock into it to deflect than anything else. If so many fanboys were not touting the new 320 as the best thing since sexy hookers it would be less of a deal. It also would have helped if the military would have followed through with their testing protocol like they were supposed to instead of awarding the contract when half the testing wasn't even complete.
    Last edited by dkf; August 9th, 2017 at 06:20 PM.

(Montgomery County)

DKF... you sound like a Glock fanboy with all those accusations... and they are just that... unfounded accusations.

I have a Sig P320 and a Beretta 92A1. I could care less about fanboys on either side... Sig, Glock, and Beretta included.
    Whether you like it or not, the Sig P320 is a great pistol. It won the contract and will not lose the it over this. It passed all the required industry and military drop tests. The test it failed wasn't included in those. Keep in mind, Sig did not design those tests. They were already in place. Many other pistols failed those tests.
    That's being said, Sig is fixing the issue... period. I am directly effected by this, so I am waiting to hear what it will cost me (if anything) and what I need to do. Yes... $h!t happens.

A new battery of safety tests should be designed and ALL pistols should be put through it regardless of if you passed previously or not. Then we will see who is "more" drop safe. I say "more" because there is always some fool will drop, throw, and/or beat on his pistol repeatedly with a hammer until it does go off and then yell "SEE?!?!?!"

And by all means, if you want to toss you pistol or pound on the back of your slide with a mallet... do so.
    Just stop whining about it.
    Last edited by Auriemma; August 10th, 2017 at 10:59 AM.

(Berks County)

No one has to be a fanboy of any particular manufacturer to want to see that all guns on the market are safe

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast