Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Winchester Model 94 30-30 Extraction Issue

I have a Winchester Model 94 that doesn't eject the spent casing. I've cleaned it as much as I can and still no improvement. Its like the steel extractor clip isn't rigid enough anymore to be able to successfully extract.

Can this clip be adjusted and/or replaced easily without much disassembly? If not, how much labor for an average gunsmith would this end up taking?

I'm looking for anyone with any experience with a similar problem such as this and if there are any fixes I could do on my own or what a gunsmith may charge me to fix something like this.

I'm looking to sell the gun because I'm looking to pick me up a sidearm, but I want to get this fixed prior of course.

Thanks for any responses!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Winchester Model 94 30-30 Extraction Issue

The ejector on a post-'64 is pinned to the bottom of the bolt. If you open the breech and look down at the bolt face, the ejector is the little rectangular bit that sticks out past the bolt face at the 6:00 position.

If you do not see it, it is either missing or the spring that tensions it is broken or missing. If you do see it, press it to the rear with a tool- it should be under firm spring tension.

It is not a difficult part to find or replace but '94's can be a pain in the butt to disassemble without instructions or experience.

(Lancaster County)

CDI, EXCELLENT reply, I truly appreciate it and will take a better look at it when I get home from work. Unless the extractor is a different piece than the piece I think/thought I was looking at - this one is located at the 3:00 position along the bolt face. Looks to be almost a "paw" type extractor.

Is this not the actual extractor but an assist or something of that sort? There is an indent next to the chamber (sorry for lack of technical terms) that enables the "what I think to be" extractor to recede into in order to hook the rim of the round... but when levering the bolt it doesn't actually hook it.

When I get home I'll take a closer look and look at the 6:00 position and also take a detailed picture I can upload here for further analysis.

Again I truly appreciate your help and advice.
    Last edited by Marcidius; September 23rd, 2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Can't rep yet I guess cause I'm still a newbie... but I WILL as soon as I get the ability too!

(Centre County)

Marcidius, remember that there are to things that happen to get a round out of the gun. First, the EXTRACTOR hooks around the rim of the cartridge and when you move the lever downward, the extractor pulls the round out of the chamber. When the round clears the chamber,the EJECTOR (under compression) has nothing to hold it back so it quickly moves forward pushing the round in the path of least resistance, which would be the opening of the action, and out pops the casing.

So you need to determine what is happening; is it not EXTRACTING the round from the chamber, or is it not EJECTING the round from the gun? Once this is determined you can look for the cause, either a bad or worn extractor, or a weak or non working ejector.

Neither are overly difficult to repair, and if you are comfortable about working on your own guns you can give it a try. I would however, suggest getting a good parts breakdown for the gun or picking up one of the many firearms assembly/disassembly books that are on the market. They will give you step by step directions to taking it apart and puting it back together.

My guess would be a gunsmith would probably charge about 1 hour labor plus the parts.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Circa August 2017. I was happy to read this post. My purchase of a take down Model 94 450 Marlin did not go well. Fired 8 rounds and had one jam. It was almost impossible to cock the rifle, much less eject a round easily. After 7 days of ownership I sent it back to Winchester/Browning for repair. Anyone paying $1400 for a fire arm should expect it to work smooth as silk out of the box. After checking this site and many Youtube videos there appears to be a strong view that owners must tolerate poorly made Model 94s. This notion of wearing a rifle in struck me as a bit odd since it implies that for many many rounds the rifle cannot be trusted to work when needed.

In many videos I noticed that people had purchased older rifles that had barely been used. This raises the question that such rifles may never have worked properly out of the box. Without working well out of the box, has the Model 94 ever been made well? My rifle is new and only a few weeks from purchase. It had a severe issue.

This 450 Marlin of mine is required for real protection while timber cruising. It has to work. It will not be sitting in a closet saving dust. I would have thought Winchester and the Japanese corporation, Miroku, would have better quality control. My Browning 1911 380 last year came without a front sight! My Browning 22 A-bolt from the 90s is a gorgeous fine shooting rifle. It was recalled in less than a year because (get this) it was known to go off without pulling the trigger!

Thanks for the help. I made the right decision sending it back for repair.