Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Thumbs up Form 3's are now instant! Yea ATF

Now to get them to speed up the rest of it or drop it completely.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...nstant-form-3/

In an actual blessing bestowed upon the National Firearms Act (NFA) community as a whole, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) has begun rapid approvals of Form 3 transfers between dealers, distributors and manufacturers. In case you aren’t an NFA process nerd like myself, these non-taxed transactions occur between FFL holders to move registered items that will most likely be sold and transferred to consumers.

So, if this process only involves licensees, why should Shawn Short-Barrel and Susie Silencer care about such mundane news? Because, both Shawn and Susie most likely buy their NFA toys from an out of state dealer, probably requiring a wait for the Form 3 approved transfer. Up until recently, the wait for a for a Form 3 approval had grown to one or two months, adding on to the already painfully long transfer process.

Silencer Shop, who is rumored to move an overwhelming majority of all the total NFA transfers across the country, recently posted images on their Instagram page showing Form 3 approvals coming back within hours of being submitted. Again, although this process only directly effects licensees, the individual buyer will see a benefit in quicker silencer availability from manufacturers and transfers from dealer to dealer. Although Silencer Shop has already streamlined this process with a network of local dealers and electronic form submissions using fingerprint scanners, electronic signatures and a mobile application for photographs.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

Default Re: Form 3's are now instant! Yea ATF

OK. Dealer/manufacturers benefit directly, which could help consumers. Now how about those 1's and 4's?

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    OK. Dealer/manufacturers benefit directly, which could help consumers. Now how about those 1's and 4's?
    over a year with no fix in the near future.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I predict it will have no effect, because nobody wants their surpressor sitting in ATF jail for a year.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Now to get them to speed up the rest of it or drop it completely.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...nstant-form-3/
    There is an adage out there "don't believe everything you read on the internet" Yes, the NFA Branch has been able to make inroads into the approval time of Form 3's, and yes, some have been approved pretty quickly, but it by far is not instaneous no matter who on the internet claims it is and will be. Even if the Form 3 gets approved in a day, then the suppressor must be shipped to the dealer and that can take a a while depending on how many they have to send and to who. Guess what, in the suppressor universe there is a pecking order. Do you really think a wholesaler is going to rush to send a (one) suppressor to "Joe Sells One Suppressor A Month" or will they pack up and ship an order to "Steve Who Buys 10 suppressors a week" from them first.

It's not the F3 that is the hold up, it's the F4 (or F1). A suppressor dealer can work with their client and once they know (and the suppressor wholesaler or dealer can tell them if they ask) the F3 has been submitted, they can wait about 1-2 weeks (to insure the NFA Branch has received the F3 and put it in the computer) and they can submit the F4, they already have all the info needed to do the F4, and this is done regularly. That helps (a little) for the F4 timeline.

What most people do not know is all the back stories of these people on the internet making all these claims. I frequent a forum that only FFL's can be on and you would be surprised what you find out. When I hear/read some of these claims, I talk to my suppressor distributor (one of the biggest in the business and not Silencer Shop) and see if they have heard it. They will give me the straight scoop. These guys talk to the NFA Branch Supervisors daily and get the truth directly from them.

Don't get your hopes up. F4's and F1's are still going to take some time, remember the information and prints (for everyone listed on the F4, F1) go to the FBI to have the background check done and that takes time also.

If/when the HPA goes through (don't hold your breath, I don't want anyone to pass out/die) it will make things oh so much easier all around but even then it will take a couple years for prices to fall (and they will eventually if all my well informed sources are correct). One thing people can do is to call/email/snail mail your US Senators and Reps as much as possible about passing the HPA. Believe it or not, in D.C the squeaky wheel gets the grease. How do you think the liberals do it, they run vast campaigns to inundate the congresspeople with their demands. We need to do the same.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    There is an adage out there "don't believe everything you read on the internet" Yes, the NFA Branch has been able to make inroads into the approval time of Form 3's, and yes, some have been approved pretty quickly, but it by far is not instaneous no matter who on the internet claims it is and will be. Even if the Form 3 gets approved in a day, then the suppressor must be shipped to the dealer and that can take a a while depending on how many they have to send and to who. Guess what, in the suppressor universe there is a pecking order. Do you really think a wholesaler is going to rush to send a (one) suppressor to "Joe Sells One Suppressor A Month" or will they pack up and ship an order to "Steve Who Buys 10 suppressors a week" from them first.

It's not the F3 that is the hold up, it's the F4 (or F1). A suppressor dealer can work with their client and once they know (and the suppressor wholesaler or dealer can tell them if they ask) the F3 has been submitted, they can wait about 1-2 weeks (to insure the NFA Branch has received the F3 and put it in the computer) and they can submit the F4, they already have all the info needed to do the F4, and this is done regularly. That helps (a little) for the F4 timeline.

What most people do not know is all the back stories of these people on the internet making all these claims. I frequent a forum that only FFL's can be on and you would be surprised what you find out. When I hear/read some of these claims, I talk to my suppressor distributor (one of the biggest in the business and not Silencer Shop) and see if they have heard it. They will give me the straight scoop. These guys talk to the NFA Branch Supervisors daily and get the truth directly from them.

Don't get your hopes up. F4's and F1's are still going to take some time, remember the information and prints (for everyone listed on the F4, F1) go to the FBI to have the background check done and that takes time also.

If/when the HPA goes through (don't hold your breath, I don't want anyone to pass out/die) it will make things oh so much easier all around but even then it will take a couple years for prices to fall (and they will eventually if all my well informed sources are correct). One thing people can do is to call/email/snail mail your US Senators and Reps as much as possible about passing the HPA. Believe it or not, in D.C the squeaky wheel gets the grease. How do you think the liberals do it, they run vast campaigns to inundate the congresspeople with their demands. We need to do the same.
    yes it will infact speed up the process for the customer, it took 2+ months for the form 3 to clear on one of my cans and another 6 for the form 4. this was dealer to dealer. I'm fairly sure they have to ship the suppressor in a reasonable amount of time after the form 3 clears as well, they cant just sit on it waiting for more orders. they may take their time turning in the form. but once approved they cant sit on it.

(Lackawanna County)

Make the form 4s instant and we can talk. No reason you can do a three and not a four.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Make the form 4s instant and we can talk. No reason you can do a three and not a four.
    form 3 should be instant all they have to check is the ffl license

(Lackawanna County)

And check what for a four? If I can get a firearm instant there is no reason they can't do the same for form 4.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    And check what for a four? If I can get a firearm instant there is no reason they can't do the same for form 4.
    oh you know spelling errors or punctuation if the model number is correct...... (sarcasm)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast