Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Should this homeowner have held these teens at gunpoint?

What do you think? The sheriff says that he would prefer homeowners not to take things into their own hands like this, but was within his rights to do so. Opinions?

Joyriding teenage vandals held at gunpoint by Johnson County homeowner

http://fox59.com/2017/08/01/joyridin...nty-homeowner/
    JOHNSON COUNTY, Ind. – A joyride resulted in four Johnson County teens getting in trouble with the law.

The suspects were caught red-handed vandalizing a man’s front yard before being confronted by that homeowner at gunpoint. The sheriff says the teens were videotaping themselves doing donuts and tearing up the owner's grass.

After being victimized by joyriding vandals a week ago, the homeowner put up a no trespassing sign, but when the same teens returned this weekend to commit the same crime, the homeowner ordered all the teens to the ground at gunpoint and held them there until officers arrived.

“The homeowner detained the juveniles with a firearm. To be honest we prefer it not be handled that way, but the property owner had the right to do what he did,” said Johnson County sheriff Doug Cox.

In recent weeks, Johnson County deputies have taken numerous reports of cars and homes being spray painted. It’s not believed those crimes are connected to the joyriding teens, but the sheriff says it’s always safer for anyone that sees vandalism taking place to call 911 instead of confronting suspects with guns.

“We would prefer it be handled without firearms because lot of bad things can happen, but we’re not going to be hard on the homeowner because he had the right to protect himself and his property,” said Cox.

The damage to the front yard could also lead to criminal charges against the mother of one of the teens, who investigators say used poor judgment by allowing her son to take her car.

“That criminal mischief would not have happened if the mother had done the right thing and told son not to take the car without a drivers license,” said Cox.

Three of the teens were charged with trespassing. The driver is also facing charges of criminal mischief and driving without a license.

Default Re: Should this homeowner have held these teens at gunpoint?

I wouldn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I wouldn't have.
    I'm torn on this one. Why wouldn't you? What would you have done?

(Warren County)

good on him!
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Delaware County)

I certainly would want to do what the homeowner did, but I doubt I would have initially confronted them with a gun. I would have just confronted them, after calling 911, with words and warnings. The teens were not showing a deadly weapon. I think that means showing a gun in such a situation is iffy legally in PA. If however, after verbal warning, they continued to destroy property or made any physical threat against me I would drawn my gunn on them.

For the homeowner he took a risk because the situation did not seem to warrant deadly force,m but he seemed willing to use it. Just imagine a jury hearing him testify that he had to protect his lawn so he pulled a gun. Instant fail in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by allenr View Post
    I certainly would want to do what the homeowner did, but I doubt I would have initially confronted them with a gun. I would have just confronted them, after calling 911, with words and warnings. The teens were not showing a deadly weapon. I think that means showing a gun in such a situation is iffy legally in PA. If however, after verbal warning, they continued to destroy property or made any physical threat against me I would drawn my gunn on them.

For the homeowner he took a risk because the situation did not seem to warrant deadly force,m but he seemed willing to use it. Just imagine a jury hearing him testify that he had to protect his lawn so he pulled a gun. Instant fail in my opinion.
    Good point about Pa. The laws of Indiana would definitely effect the approach for some.

(Mercer County)

Good for the homeowner. And I bet those teens won't try that again. As for calling 911 by the time the Leo's get there with sirens going the teens would probably have been gone

Not saying I would pull my gun for that but it worked for him
    Last edited by 74_dart_sport; August 5th, 2017 at 05:05 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    To be honest we prefer it not be handled that way, but the property owner had the right to do what he did.
    I'm not saying I would have done what that homeowner did, but this is a liberal mantra. 'We don't want you to exercise your rights.'

I think it's awesome but no, I wouldn't have done that. Since they were not threatening my life I would have called the cop's and tried to get a video.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I'm torn on this one. Why wouldn't you? What would you have done?
    Definitely would have thrown a rock or brick at the car. The damage to the car
    out weighs the damage to the lawn. That will teach them a lesson not to vandalize peoples property.

I was a kid once, did the same thing, even worse. A gun shouldn't be involved in petty vandalism with teenagers IMO.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast