Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Union County)

Default 1911/.22 conversions

I am looking at getting a .22 conversion slide/barrel kit for my Taurus 1911 to practice more and let the sissies of the family get some handgun experience(lol)....anyone know if this a universal type fit deal or is there some tweaking necessary to get something like a Ceiner kit to fit? Chime in w/ your experience and thoughts/suggestions please.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: 1911/.22 conversions

Some of the plinker conversions, like the Ceiner and lower end Advantage Arms and Marvel, will slip right on many frames. With National Match type frames, and some of the higher end conversions, there may be some fitting required.

I'm finding that the downside of the 1911s is that there are very few "drop-in" parts. Sooo many manufacturers, many of which have their own set of tolerances.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Blair County)

The Marvel conversion kit is NOT low end. It is at the top of the food chain as far as conversion kits go. Incredible accuracy. Visit their website to learn more.

I have a Marvel conversion kit for my Wilson Combat and an Advantage Arms conversion kit for my Glock 31.

The Marvel conversion will cost around $400.00. The Advantage Arms is considerably less money.

Bear in mind you could buy a new .22 pistol for less money.

I bought the Marvel conversion because I wanted to shoot my Wilson more often but the price of .45 ammo is ridiculous.

I bought the AA conversion because I wanted to shoot my G31 more often but the price of .357 Sig ammo is even worse.

Looking back I would say I am happy I bought the Marvel. It affords me many trips to the range with my Wilson without giving a thought to the price of ammo.

On the other hand I would not buy the AA conversion if I had it to do over again. JMO.

You will want to check which companies make a conversion kit for your pistol. That may make the decision easy for you.
    Last edited by Jailkeeper; September 17th, 2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: grammar
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

as long as your barrel isn't ramped the Kimber one will work. Takes about 2 minutes to switch it over.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Philadelphia County)

i've researched this for a long time and was set on the marvel unit 2 for my colt. after weighing out the advantages/disadvantages of a kit vs. dedicated pistol i finally went with the ruger 22/45 5.5" target model. it cost about $340 otd (probably a little high) but it has the same grip angle, thumb safety and slide release latch as the 1911. this pistol is unbelievably accurate and will eat any cheap ammo i feed it and i heard the conversion kits are picky (the higher end .22lr like mini mags is about $10 per 100 vs. $250 per 50 of cheap stuff). needless to say i am very happy with my decision and the 22/45 also has a rail included incase i wanted to put a scope.

i also bought a .22lr conversion kit for my ar15 from ciener which i'm not all that satisfied with, the fit,finish and function are fine, but .22lr through my rifle just isn't all that thrilling and accuracy isn't as good as .223 either. hope this helped in your decision.
    Smoke-Wagon.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jailkeeper View Post
    The Marvel conversion kit is NOT low end. It is at the top of the food chain as far as conversion kits go. Incredible accuracy. Visit their website to learn more.
    Oops! I was a little unclear there.

Marvel and Advantage Arms both have two different conversion uppers. A lower-end (plinker) version and a higher-end (target) version. The target versions are both crazy accurate, or so I hear.

Sorry!
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Marvel and Advantage Arms both have two different conversion uppers. A lower-end (plinker) version and a higher-end (target) version. The target versions are both crazy accurate, or so I hear.
    My Advantage Arms conversion kit is the target version. It is not as accurate as my Ruger MKII Govt. Model (at least in my hands). As I posted previously if I had it to do over again I would probably not have purchased it. But that's just me.

I purchased my Marvel conversion kit through Wilson Combat. It is the less expensive version but still has adjustable sights and a few other niceties I wanted since I was going to use it on my Wilson Protector.

It is incredibly accurate. I called Wilson several times with questions before I made the purchase.

When I asked about accuracy I was told there was no "written guarantee" but the gentleman said I could rest assured it would keep a 1.5" group at 25 yards.

After shooting it for 2 years I am impressed. It is incredibly accurate.

I'm too lazy to go through my receipts, but I believe I paid around $250.00 (or so) for the Advantage Arms conversion through Topglock, and around $325.00 (or so) for the Marvel conversion through Wilson Combat.

I will add another thought... Both conversion kits came with a paper listing recommended ammo to use with the kit. The lists are different for each kit.

My father & friends make fun of me for following the paper's advice but I have NEVER had an FTF or FTE. They just work.

My Wilson Protector came with a paper of recommended .45 ammo. I only shoot what Wilson recommends and again, have never had an FTF or FTE.

I do not work for Wilson nor get a commission (wish I did!), but if anyone is seriously considering a .22 conversion kit they should call Wilson Combat.

Wilson's customer support is second to none. I have called them many times in the past 3 years, and purchased quite a few items from them. I have never been disappointed.

I tried the kimber conversion.

took some fitting/polishing

I wasn't impressed.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post
    I tried the kimber conversion.

took some fitting/polishing

I wasn't impressed.
    My father is a diehard Kimber fan. He has at least 4 Kimbers, perhaps 5 now.

He bought a Kimber conversion kit last summer and likes it.

From what I have seen ALL Kimbers are TIGHT. They take a lot of lube and a lot of rounds to make them run properly. At least that is what I have seen with his.